d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev14950515253443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Sep 17 2018 06:09pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Sep 17 2018 06:15pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 17 2018 07:59pm)
its not about proving guilt, its about cheap political gain. either the republicans delay the hearings or drop Kav to nominate someone else - in that case, the democrats have gained a slight sliver of hope of winning the senate and stopping the nomination of a 2nd trump-appointed SCOTUS judge.
or they force headlines about "republicans voting a guy to the supreme court despite sexual assault allegations", which has the potential to be politically toxic right at the climax of the midterms race.

and in any case, they have prevented the bad optics of many red-state democratic senators voting for Kavanaugh - this option is almost surely off the table, he'll have at least 49 votes against him now.

I see what you're saying. But I think this is one time the Reps will have to pull out all the stops and get nasty. The FBI is on Kavanaugh's side, and probably the Justice Dept. too.
With the information we've seen so far, I don't think the Dems can make this alleged incident look TOO bad for a Kavanaugh confirmation.

Really it's just down to one or two Rep senators now. If the Reps can swing those two to their side, they can vote tomorrow if they wanted.
I don't think the Dems will be able to "play up" the alleged incident enough to damage Kavanaugh or the voter's impression of what's been happening.

Gold: 28,296.75
Sep 17 2018 06:16pm
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 17 2018 05:15pm)
I see what you're saying. But I think this is one time the Reps will have to pull out all the stops and get nasty. The FBI is on Kavanaugh's side, and probably the Justice Dept. too.
With the information we've seen so far, I don't think the Dems can make this alleged incident look TOO bad for a Kavanaugh confirmation.

Really it's just down to one or two Rep senators now. If the Reps can swing those two to their side, they can vote tomorrow if they wanted.
I don't think the Dems will be able to "play up" the alleged incident enough to damage Kavanaugh or the voter's impression of what's been happening.

lmao now Ghot is a fan

funny how that works
Sep 17 2018 06:22pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Sep 17 2018 08:16pm)
lmao now Ghot is a fan

funny how that works

Yeah I am. Now that the FBI has been gutted of the partisan players, and is back to what it should be. With the executive and the FBI playing by the rules again, the Justice Dept. pretty much has to follow.

Do you have trouble staying on topic, and avoiding ad hominem posts?
Sep 17 2018 06:27pm
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 17 2018 05:22pm)
Yeah I am. Now that the FBI has been gutted of the partisan players, and is back to what it should be. With the executive and the FBI playing by the rules again, the Justice Dept. pretty much has to follow.

Do you have trouble staying on topic, and avoiding ad hominem posts?

It's not off topic

You went on days/weeks worth of rants about how rigged they are now to only use them when convenient

your daily inconsistencies cause it
Sep 17 2018 06:39pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Sep 17 2018 08:27pm)
It's not off topic

You went on days/weeks worth of rants about how rigged they are now to only use them when convenient

your daily inconsistencies cause it

I thought you would answer yes to my question. Glad to see I was right.

/e

Senate Judiciary to probe Kavanaugh, [and] accuser in public hearing [on Monday]

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-kavanaugh/senate-judiciary-to-probe-kavanaugh-accuser-in-public-hearing-idUSKCN1LW0OE

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh and the woman who accused him of a 1982 sexual assault will be called to testify in the Senate next Monday, complicating what had appeared to be a smooth confirmation process.

The FBI said in statement on Monday night that last Wednesday it received a letter dated from July concerning the allegation, and forwarded it to the White House counsel. It added the alleged misconduct “does not involve any potential federal crime.”

Moderate Republicans also said Kavanaugh and Ford should be heard.

“Obviously, if Judge Kavanaugh has lied about what happened, that would be disqualifying,” Republican Senator Susan Collins told reporters before Grassley’s announcement, adding she would like the chance to observe Ford, the California university professor who made the allegation, to decide the credibility of her account.

“Because this never happened, I had no idea who was making this accusation until she identified herself yesterday,” added Kavanaugh, who said he was willing to talk to the Judiciary Committee in any way it deemed appropriate “to refute this false allegation, from 36 years ago, and defend my integrity.

Kavanaugh has said he was not at the party where the incident allegedly occurred, according to a White House official

I have the distinct feeling that the Senate is going to tear her apart. Unlike some of the looser news sources, I doubt the Senate will miss the 5-6 (now) glaring inconsistencies in her statements so far.
I doubt the will also miss the fact that Ford is an active Democrat and has actively participated in quite a few recent issues, including donations.

This post was edited by Ghot on Sep 17 2018 06:59pm
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Sep 17 2018 07:04pm
Gee Susan, I would hope so...
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Warn: 10%
Sep 17 2018 07:06pm
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 17 2018 08:39pm)

I doubt the will also miss the fact that Ford is an active Democrat and has actively participated in quite a few recent issues, including donations.

Sexual assault victims can't have political views or donate to a political party? Yikes
Sep 17 2018 07:11pm

Here's an op-ed close to my heart...

Let’s Hope Justice Kavanaugh Avenges This Disgusting Democrat Slander

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/09/17/lets-hope-justice-kavanaugh-avenges-this-disgusting-democrat-slander-n2519589

And don't forget to read post #506 either. :D
Sep 17 2018 07:16pm
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 17 2018 06:11pm)
Here's an op-ed close to my heart...

Let’s Hope Justice Kavanaugh Avenges This Disgusting Democrat Slander

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2018/09/17/lets-hope-justice-kavanaugh-avenges-this-disgusting-democrat-slander-n2519589

And don't forget to read post #506 either. :D

nice article written by goom you have there
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14950515253443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll