d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Stephen Breyer Announces Retirement
Prev14567816Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 26 2022 10:53pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 08:47pm)
"And what is capitalism's answer or plan for the bolded?"

- truthfully, the answer was forced onto them if we are still speaking of fast food. I feel like many don't know this, but a McDonalds location in a lot of cases is the owner's sole location and it's not as egregiously profitable as you think (this was 100% true at the location I worked at as a kid). In all reality, it's basically a small business no different than your local pizzeria, but, they pay a hefty premium as franchisees for the name and higher likelihood of success.

"Also, who is to work the jobs we're talking about during high school hours? "

- when I worked there, those hours were covered mostly by retirees who had built successful careers, didn't need the money, but just got bored sitting home all day. There were also a few people who did it as a secondary part time job. But, I think this does become a bit irrelevant based on what I said above -- if these workers continue to price themselves out of the market, they will end up being replaced by machines.

Do know if that happens, if you think these places are making extreme profits now....... They'll double+ at that point.

I may have missed the part about what capitalism has to offer people in the event that they "get replaced by machines are have no income". Also, when was the last time you saw a McDonald's or any other "unskilled, minimum wage job" full of high school students and retirees as employees?
Gold: 9,900.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 26 2022 10:57pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 26 2022 11:53pm)
I may have missed the part about what capitalism has to offer people in the event that they "get replaced by machines are have no income". Also, when was the last time you saw a McDonald's or any other "unskilled, minimum wage job" full of high school students and retirees as employees?

"I may have missed the part about what capitalism has to offer people in the event that they "get replaced by machines are have no income".

- I think I summarized it well. If you're looking for an answer that allows those who chose that work-path without force to just take from the pockets of others at will, that's going to be a no from me and I will not sway on that.

- McDonalds itself offers college tuition reimbursement (in fact, it works with the same college my current company does that I obtained a degree from) - there are opportunities - it's one's choice not to take them. That should cover "I may have missed the part about what capitalism has to offer people in the event that they "get replaced by machines are have no income"" :)

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 26 2022 10:59pm
Jan 26 2022 11:00pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 08:57pm)
"I may have missed the part about what capitalism has to offer people in the event that they "get replaced by machines are have no income".

- I think I summarized it well. If you're looking for an answer that allows those who chose that work-path without force to take from the pockets of others, that's going to be a no from me and I will not sway on that.

- McDonalds itself offers college tuition reimbursement (in fact, it works with the same college my current company does that I obtained a degree from) - there are opportunities - it's one's choice not to take them. That should cover "I may have missed the part about what capitalism has to offer people in the event that they "get replaced by machines are have no income"" :)

I'm not looking for any specific answer. It's an open-ended one, and I don't see where your posts have offered any potential options for those whose jobs become obsolete due to technological advancement and who subsequently find themselves without income.
Jan 26 2022 11:03pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 12:00am)
I'm not looking for any specific answer. It's an open-ended one, and I don't see where your posts have offered any potential options for those whose jobs become obsolete due to technological advancement and who subsequently find themselves without income.

"I'm not looking for any specific answer. It's an open-ended one, and I don't see where your posts have offered any potential options for those whose jobs become obsolete due to technological advancement and who subsequently find themselves without income. "

But I did though - learning new skills, which places like McDonalds pay for in full as long as you maintain your coursework.

May I ask why the people you are referencing are simply waiting for this technology to take over their job and not jumping on these offers with no cost right now/years ago when it became offered (I graduated in 2016 and the McDonalds Corporation was still, then, a participant in the company-reimbursed degree program).

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 26 2022 11:04pm
Jan 26 2022 11:05pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:03pm)
"I'm not looking for any specific answer. It's an open-ended one, and I don't see where your posts have offered any potential options for those whose jobs become obsolete due to technological advancement and who subsequently find themselves without income. "

But I did though - learning new skills, which places like McDonalds pay for in full as long as you maintain your coursework.

May I ask why the people you are referencing are simply waiting for this technology to take over their job and not jumping on these offers with no cost right now/years ago when it became offered (I graduated in 2016 and the McDonalds Corporation was still, then, a participant in the company-reimbursed degree program).

But if everyone were to follow that plan, who would work the jobs we're talking about?
Gold: 1,978.00
Jan 26 2022 11:05pm
Quote (fender @ Jan 26 2022 04:34pm)
can you show me just ONE?

https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=91968114&f=119

Enjoy.
Jan 26 2022 11:06pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 12:05am)
But if everyone were to follow that plan, who would work the jobs we're talking about?

I think we already answered that one. Machines :).

Also - another angle we haven't discussed yet. Think of all the new, skilled, rewarding jobs that will be created as a result? Machines break, and, their repair men/women are definitely going to be paid more than minimum wage.

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 26 2022 11:07pm
Jan 26 2022 11:08pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:06pm)
I think we already answered that one. Machines :).

Also - another angle we haven't discussed yet. Think of all the new, skilled, rewarding jobs that will be created as a result? Machines break all the time, and, their repair men/women are definitely going to be paid more than minimum wage.

But the technological advancement will take time, so who is to work the jobs in the interim?

And, even if such technological advancement were to happen quickly, what are we to do as a society when there are more people that exist than there are high-skilled, available jobs?
Jan 26 2022 11:15pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2022 12:08am)
But the technological advancement will take time, so who is to work the jobs in the interim?

And, even if such technological advancement were to happen quickly, what are we to do as a society when there are more people that exist than there are high-skilled, available jobs?

"But the technological advancement will take time, so who is to work the jobs in the interim?"

- Well, if all was followed according to a path to success, I think I did also sufficiently answer that as well. I did mention high school kids and retirees. These jobs were never meant to be careers.

"And, even if such technological advancement were to happen quickly, what are we to do as a society when there are more people that exist than there are high-skilled, available jobs?"

- For McDonalds alone, they are all over the world and that doesn't account for any other fast food chain. I doubt this, just like we turned a blind eye to Obama promoting offshore outsourcing of things like computer programming, which saturated the market beyond belief. I don't think this new class of jobs will be anywhere near as bad as that :)
Jan 26 2022 11:25pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 09:15pm)
"But the technological advancement will take time, so who is to work the jobs in the interim?"

- Well, if all was followed according to a path to success, I think I did also sufficiently answer that as well. I did mention high school kids and retirees. These jobs were never meant to be careers.

"And, even if such technological advancement were to happen quickly, what are we to do as a society when there are more people that exist than there are high-skilled, available jobs?"

- For McDonalds alone, they are all over the world and that doesn't account for any other fast food chain. I doubt this, just like we turned a blind eye to Obama promoting offshore outsourcing of things like computer programming, which saturated the market beyond belief. I don't think this new class of jobs will be anywhere near as bad as that :)

But whether the jobs were "never meant to be careers" or not, or whether they were for "high school students or retirees" or not, doesn't change the reality that the vast majority of people who hold those jobs are in early to middle adulthood and depend on those jobs to get by.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567816Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll