d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Michael Flynn Charged
Prev14567818Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Dec 1 2017 01:29pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Dec 1 2017 01:29pm)
Have you got a link to a source claiming that?
All the testimony I've seen is that he's testifying that the Trump campaign after the election told him to make contact with Russian officials, initially to organize against ISIS, then to rally the UN vote and calm Putin's tits over the sanctions.
IE:
>As part of a plea deal, former national security adviser Michael Flynn has admitted that a senior member of the Trump transition team directed him to make contact with Russian officials in December 2016.

its been about 3 posts since i sourced that for you...

JUST IN: @BrianRoss on @ABC News Special Report: Michael Flynn promised "full cooperation to the Mueller team" and is prepared to testify that as a candidate, Donald Trump "directed him to make contact with the Russians."
Gold: 22,164.69
Dec 1 2017 01:34pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 1 2017 01:29pm)
its been about 3 posts since i sourced that for you...

I think you might be running into Brian Ross misreporting something.
All the original reports are saying December 2016, when he was president-elect Trump, not candidate Trump, and all the buzz surrounding Brian Ross's tweet is calling it out as such.

If that's accurate it would be something new indeed and we'd have to reevaluate it all from the start. But I think we're just watching bad reporting
Gold: 5,016.77
Dec 1 2017 01:35pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Dec 1 2017 01:43pm)
This worries me greatly
We're homing in on Trump's efforts at backroom diplomacy that occurred after the election.
Everyone has known about them for a year now, it was never really a secret, and I've posted that whole timeline a hundred times in the past

But now Mueller has demonstrated that he's ignoring the election or looking for evidence of collusion and is targeting the spat over diplomacy when Obama was outgoing.
If the democrats were desperate for a way to attempt to weaponize the investigation against Trump without being able to find any collusion, that's exactly where they'd go
Which points to Mueller being more interested in a political hatchet job than the scope of his investigation as it was set out.

They very well might push this logan act nonsense and the tussle between Obama and Trump after the election, which came in response to these allegations, and use them in an effort to attempt to justify the allegations
And nobody is going to notice the circular logic if they're too busy saying "Trump ordered flynn to talk to russia~!", because only the 0.001% of americans who paid close attention noticed that already

I'm not sure how you can say this. Mueller has the authority(given to him by Trump's deputy AG) to look into these other issues outside of strictly campaign officials colluding with Russia. He's using whatever facts he can find to flip people, in order to get to the truth of what happened during the campaign.

Do you actually expect Mueller's endgame to be charging Trump officials with violating the Logan Act?
Gold: 0.00
Dec 1 2017 01:38pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Dec 1 2017 01:29pm)
Have you got a link to a source claiming that?
All the testimony I've seen is that he's testifying that the Trump campaign after the election told him to make contact with Russian officials, initially to organize against ISIS, then to rally the UN vote and calm Putin's tits over the sanctions.
IE:
>As part of a plea deal, former national security adviser Michael Flynn has admitted that a senior member of the Trump transition team directed him to make contact with Russian officials in December 2016.

Are you sure the Brian Ross quote above isn't conflating the two? Because the twitter buzz around it is suggesting that
Just typing it into google I get:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/01/flynn-to-testify-trump-ordered-him-to-contact-russians-reports.html

Money quote:

Former National Security Advisor Gen. Michael Flynn is reportedly willing to testify that President Donald Trump and Trump transition officials directed him to make contact with Russians during Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.
Dec 1 2017 01:39pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Dec 1 2017 01:34pm)
I think you might be running into Brian Ross misreporting something.
All the original reports are saying December 2016, when he was president-elect Trump, not candidate Trump, and all the buzz surrounding Brian Ross's tweet is calling it out as such.

If that's accurate it would be something new indeed and we'd have to reevaluate it all from the start. But I think we're just watching bad reporting

I think a lot of things could happen.

1. that report may be accurate, unlikely but possible
2. that may be accurate but not proven yet by flynn yet, it could just be jumping the gun on something that will eventually be proven true
3. someone else exposed by Flynn could be a key in implicating trump personally
4. flynn may have only been vaguely let believe that trump wanted him to do this so he could be a fall guy with no link to trump
5. insiders in his campaign could have been directing advisers to act on trumps behalf without trumps knowledge
6. trump is innocent but negligent in acting in mind numbingly bad optics territory instead of waiting a short time
7. trumps innocent

there are a lot of possibilities, given that Mueller hasn't has the leaks that the DOJ or FBI has had the info is far from out there. which is why i'm waiting to speculate about how i was right all along, but u can do what u want.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 1 2017 01:40pm
Dec 1 2017 01:42pm
Quote (IceMage @ Dec 1 2017 01:35pm)
I'm not sure how you can say this. Mueller has the authority(given to him by Trump's deputy AG) to look into these other issues outside of strictly campaign officials colluding with Russia. He's using whatever facts he can find to flip people, in order to get to the truth of what happened during the campaign.

Do you actually expect Mueller's endgame to be charging Trump officials with violating the Logan Act?

If Mueller wanted to know the truth of what happened in the diplomacy after the election he could have asked any 2-bit foreign policy analyst in washington
Exactly what good does it do to get leverage to expose Flynn/Kushner/Pence/Trump lying or misleading about the the back channel diplomacy after the fact?
If his end-game is to cause Trump enough political trouble to throw his presidency into jeopardy, that's a great way to accomplish it. If his goal was to find evidence of collusion between Trump and Russia during the campaign, that's a poor place to look.
What's the best case scenario, that he could crowbar his way into sensitive diplomatic channels just to figure out whether there's a whiff of any pre-existing arrangements?
Is he going to look at the lengths Flynn had to go through to set up a channel to Russia (and still get spied on) and use this as evidence to exonerate Trump, since it demonstrates the opposite?

He was tasked with looking into whether Trump colluded with Russia to cheat the election. If he's using all his powers to go after complete tangents, process violations and now dig into politically explosive diplomatic squabbles, that's painting a partisan picture.
Dec 1 2017 01:48pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Dec 1 2017 01:38pm)

They're directly citing Brian Ross's video
That's not an original report, its just that detail spreading from one point outwards. It could still be true or false, but that's very easily explained by Brian Ross being a dumbass

Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 1 2017 01:39pm)
I think a lot of things could happen.

1. that report may be accurate, unlikely but possible
2. that may be accurate but not proven yet by flynn yet, it could just be jumping the gun on something that will eventually be proven true
3. someone else exposed by Flynn could be a key in implicating trump personally
4. flynn may have only been vaguely let believe that trump wanted him to do this so he could be a fall guy with no link to trump
5. insiders in his campaign could have been directing advisers to act on trumps behalf without trumps knowledge
6. trump is innocent but negligent in acting in mind numbingly bad optics territory instead of waiting a short time
7. trumps innocent

there are a lot of possibilities, given that Mueller hasn't has the leaks that the DOJ or FBI has had the info is far from out there. which is why i'm waiting to speculate about how i was right all along, but u can do what u want.

In the context of this tweet from Brian Ross, all we can do is base our analysis and speculation on the available facts.
And sure that report could be accurate, but its unlikely but possible. But its not like we can take every tinfoil hat allegation from conspiracy nutters to be credible when factoring into the equation
I read this story and all I see is every single detail about what's been testified and sworn to matches 100% what I've said in the murky analysis I've posted for 11 months, except this one detail by Ross that's probably chalked up to him being a bad reporter
Now if Ross's detail is true, I might have to throw out my timeline and narrative and start anew, or figure out how it can be reconciled.

This post was edited by Goomshill on Dec 1 2017 01:50pm
Dec 1 2017 01:56pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Dec 1 2017 01:48pm)
They're directly citing Brian Ross's video
That's not an original report, its just that detail spreading from one point outwards. It could still be true or false, but that's very easily explained by Brian Ross being a dumbass

In the context of this tweet from Brian Ross, all we can do is base our analysis and speculation on the available facts.
And sure that report could be accurate, but its unlikely but possible. But its not like we can take every tinfoil hat allegation from conspiracy nutters to be credible when factoring into the equation
I read this story and all I see is every single detail about what's been testified and sworn to matches 100% what I've said in the murky analysis I've posted for 11 months, except this one detail by Ross that's probably chalked up to him being a bad reporter
Now if Ross's detail is true, I might have to throw out my timeline and narrative and start anew, or figure out how it can be reconciled.

(pants tighten)
Gold: 5,016.77
Dec 1 2017 01:56pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Dec 1 2017 02:42pm)
If Mueller wanted to know the truth of what happened in the diplomacy after the election he could have asked any 2-bit foreign policy analyst in washington
Exactly what good does it do to get leverage to expose Flynn/Kushner/Pence/Trump lying or misleading about the the back channel diplomacy after the fact?
If his end-game is to cause Trump enough political trouble to throw his presidency into jeopardy, that's a great way to accomplish it. If his goal was to find evidence of collusion between Trump and Russia during the campaign, that's a poor place to look.
What's the best case scenario, that he could crowbar his way into sensitive diplomatic channels just to figure out whether there's a whiff of any pre-existing arrangements?
Is he going to look at the lengths Flynn had to go through to set up a channel to Russia (and still get spied on) and use this as evidence to exonerate Trump, since it demonstrates the opposite?

He was tasked with looking into whether Trump colluded with Russia to cheat the election. If he's using all his powers to go after complete tangents, process violations and now dig into politically explosive diplomatic squabbles, that's painting a partisan picture.

That's a strange way to look at today's developments. Mueller just flipped one of the top campaign and former administration officials, the guy who was around Trump constantly. We can speculate on what Flynn could've been charged with, but it's safe to assume he has something substantial to tell Mueller's investigators. It's hard for me to believe the extent of what Flynn knows is that Trump directed him to create a back channel to Russia during the transition.

This post was edited by IceMage on Dec 1 2017 01:57pm
Dec 1 2017 01:59pm
Quote (IceMage @ Dec 1 2017 01:56pm)
That's a strange way to look at today's developments. Mueller just flipped one of the top campaign and former administration officials, the guy who was around Trump constantly. We can speculate on what Flynn could've been charged with, but it's safe to assume he has something substantial to tell Mueller's investigators. It's hard for me to believe the extent of what Flynn knows is that Trump directed him to create a back channel to Russia during the transition.

or that Flynns lawyers would cut off contact with Trumps over transition directives.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567818Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll