d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Paul Ryan Budget
Prev14567815Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,407.33
Mar 29 2012 09:04am
Quote (bigspot_05 @ Mar 29 2012 11:00am)
That doesn't mean members with the same tags as you don't get butthurt though, which is why I don't have any profile rights.  Also, you never responded to the pm I sent you about that.

There are certain measures that have to be taken to grow the economy.  I don't agree with the budget plan that was in the 1st post, but the idea is still the same.  You have to make cuts, and you have to increase taxes.  Period.

I completely disagree.. The budget can be balanced without increasing taxes.
Gold: 2,255.00
Mar 29 2012 09:05am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Mar 29 2012 10:04am)
I completely disagree.. The budget can be balanced without increasing taxes.

You having fun in your dreamworld?
Mar 29 2012 09:09am
Quote (bigspot_05 @ Mar 29 2012 11:05am)
You having fun in your dreamworld?

Ron Paul has a plan to balance the budget in year 3 while actually LOWERING taxes.. so its hardly a dreamworld.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Mar 29 2012 09:09am
Mar 29 2012 09:11am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Mar 29 2012 10:09am)
Ron Paul has a plan to balance the budget in year 3 while actually LOWERING taxes.. so its hardly a dreamworld.

I agree completely. We are giving away billions of dollars at the expense of (mostly lower and middle class) Americans.

And even if he were to be elected, it would never get put into action. How does it make you feel that the person you're looking to to save the country will be entirely ineffective in an office he will likely never make it to?
Admin
Gold: 16,845.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 29 2012 09:13am
Quote (bigspot_05 @ 29 Mar 2012 10:11)
And even if he were to be elected, it would never get put into action.  How does it make you feel that the person you're looking to to save the country will be entirely ineffective in an office he will likely never make it to?

You're right on that, there's little he could do unless congress supported him.

However, a balanced budget is pretty easy; stop spending more than you make. It will require tough cuts, but it can be done. Eventually this will happen, either by choice or force. If we do nothing, we'll be forced to cut things due to insolvency or worse, because simple math shows it's not possible to sustain the path we're on.
Mar 29 2012 09:14am
Quote (bigspot_05 @ Mar 29 2012 11:11am)
And even if he were to be elected, it would never get put into action.  How does it make you feel that the person you're looking to to save the country will be entirely ineffective in an office he will likely never make it to?

Even if a lite version of it were implemented it would be leaps and bounds closer to a balanced budget than the current proposals.
Taxing more as absolute necessary means to balance a bloated budget is conceptually false.
Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 29 2012 09:15am
Quote (njaguar @ Mar 29 2012 08:45am)
False. The economy increased and grew. It grew both in debt accumulation and income, but it did "grow" by all economic measures that apply to the government (and that it uses for metrics). Check the source link in my post.

That's disingenuous. The economy went into a gigantic recession and pulled back out again, thats not uniform growth.
You can't just look at the two end points and compare them as if nothing happened inbetween. The debt only racked up because we needed all that economic stimulus to get us out of the triple economic drops. Every time a president inherited a fledgling economy and tried to build it up, it was with stimuluses and tax breaks and other things that would increase the debt, and that was both sides of the aisle- a postreaganomics Clinton who set the economy up to boom, a Bush who got a bubble, set up economic policies that made it a hundred times worse when he popped it, and then an Obama, who inherited bush's mess, and turned it around again. Thats 20 straight years of economic stimulus, increased spending, bush tax cuts, etc, all to spur the economy forward. YES, it grew the economy above the 1980 levels, but it cost a hell of a lot of money to do so.

We can't just say that the economy grew between 1980 and 2011, it didn't. It grew some, then shrunk some, then grew some, then collapsed to its knees, then hobbled back up, and now its growing some again. All those falls- they cost us.
If the economy had grown in a straight line, we'd have no national debt right now whatsoever.

Again, look at the source link, and you can easily see this is untrue. People cite Clinton's "boom years" as an example, but then neglect to show how he slashed spending and increased taxes to get to that point. Something that has not happened again.

Santara just spend a thread complaining to me about how the national debt was all Clintons fault, and saying that the economy was only on track towards the end of his 8 years to reduce the debt because of Gingrich. Or maybe it was widow, but same point.
Clinton used stimuluses to get the economy going, and that worked, and we got a huge economic boom, and that started to pay off the debt, and overall reduced it, like I've been saying.
The problem, of course, being that most of that was based on the dot.com bubble, which had predictable results. But even after dot.com, we recovered and set up again briskly, and he put us on pace to kill the debt once more.
When Bush inherited Clinton's post-dot.com bubble economy, with the beginnings of the banking and housing bubbles, we were well on track to reducing the national debt and building up the economy- everything looked good

But what happened? Bush took that surplus, and turned it into tax breaks for the wealthy, instead of reinvesting it. And made the economy incredibly fragile, so that when tragedy struck, we died, stagnated, collapsed and went into full blown recession.
Instead of getting up and dusting ourselves off and going right back to work like we did in Clinton's years after dot.com burst. Bush singlehandedly destroyed this country's economy in 8 short years, with his "pay off dividends instead of reinvesting a surplus" philosophy
Clinton might have been partly to blame for setting up those economic time bomb bubbles, but it was Bush's cowboy antics that killed us

Do the math yourself. Two competing compounds will always accelerate out of control if one is always larger than the other. This is simple elementary mathematics. Seriously, chart it out in excel yourself, and project forward. The gap will increase wider and wider until the entire thing implodes.

That only works if the two rates of growth stay equal, with no acceleration or deacceleration.
If the national debt's growth was only so high over 20 years because of economic stimulus, and the economy stays on a stable, strong course, the debt will slow down its growth, and yes, eventually it will reverse, and maybe within 30 years, be entirely gone.
We can't assume that the debt will grow with the economy even faster- social programs aren't the boogeyman, they won't rise up and eat us alive.
We can afford social security and medicare. They will grow, yes, but they aren't the driving factor behind the debt.

Whats the single largest single contributor to our national debt? The Bush Tax Cuts, of course. Wheres our biggest projected money saver in both republican and democratic plans? Ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
If our economy keeps growing at 3% without any further bubbles, without any new giant wars or any more bush-style tax cuts, the debt, driven by only social programs, the debt will slow down, stop, and reverse.

Please pray tell describe the exact reasons he was banned, who took the action, and why. You can assume all you want, but you're wrong on all accounts. I have never once banned a user for disagreeing with me. That you would even make such a preposterous comment shows that your character is complete rubbish.

Multiple times over the last year, when we've debated, I've actually gotten PM's from people who want to +1 me, or say I'm not alone, or throw in a good word or something. People who don't want to post, after that whole debacle. Its really a sort of chilling effect. Hell, the only reason I'm willing to post in the first place is because I've liquidated all my effgee and would have a billion better things to do if I was banned. I even had one guy contact me on a different site, afraid you could read PMs, or read the hearts and minds of men with your sorcerous ways, or something like that. I'm not one to take the interwebs too seriously myself though.

That whole unisex bathroom debacle spooked a ton of people here, to say the least.
Mar 29 2012 09:18am
Quote (njaguar @ Mar 29 2012 10:13am)
You're right on that, there's little he could do unless congress supported him.

However, a balanced budget is pretty easy; stop spending more than you make. It will require tough cuts, but it can be done. Eventually this will happen, either by choice or force.  If we do nothing, we'll be forced to cut things due to insolvency or worse, because simple math shows it's not possible to sustain the path we're on.

Yeah, except congress pretty much universally hates him. I can't see that he would accomplish anything at all, simply for that reason. In fact, him being elected would actually probably be more of a detriment to the country, unless he could magically get people in congress to like his ideas. Sad too, because some of his more moderate ideas are really nice. I think he has a lot of good ideas, he just takes them slightly too far.
Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 29 2012 09:21am
Quote (bigspot_05 @ Mar 29 2012 09:18am)
Yeah, except congress pretty much universally hates him.  I can't see that he would accomplish anything at all, simply for that reason.  In fact, him being elected would actually probably be more of a detriment to the country, unless he could magically get people in congress to like his ideas.  Sad too, because some of his more moderate ideas are really nice.  I think he has a lot of good ideas, he just takes them slightly too far.

Pretty much. He's got some moderate ideas that would be great, and some extreme ideas that would kill us all, but if he got elected (which is absolutely implausible), neither his extreme doomsday scenario ideas nor even his helpful moderate ideas would ever get passed.
We had Jesse Ventura as a lame duck for the latter half of his governership up here once, I know well enough how a third party candidate works
Admin
Gold: 16,845.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 29 2012 09:25am
Quote (Goomshill @ 29 Mar 2012 10:15)
That's disingenuous. The economy went into a gigantic recession and pulled back out again, thats not uniform growth.
You can't just look at the two end points and compare them as if nothing happened inbetween. The debt only racked up because we needed all that economic stimulus to get us out of the triple economic drops. Every time a president inherited a fledgling economy and tried to build it up, it was with stimuluses and tax breaks and other things that would increase the debt, and that was both sides of the aisle- a postreaganomics Clinton who set the economy up to boom, a Bush who got a bubble, set up economic policies that made it a hundred times worse when he popped it, and then an Obama, who inherited bush's mess, and turned it around again. Thats 20 straight years of economic stimulus, increased spending, bush tax cuts, etc, all to spur the economy forward. YES, it grew the economy above the 1980 levels, but it cost a hell of a lot of money to do so.

Fine, look at any period of time between then, and you'll see debt (almost) always grew at a faster rate than income. Simple math here, chart it out in excel watch the divergence! When two compounds grow at different intervals, one higher than another, the higher will always outpace the lower to a point of insanity. You cannot have compound growth forever without consequence!

Since you're either unwilling or unable to chart it out yourself, here's someone that already has:
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?get_gallerynr=2841
http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?get_gallerynr=2842

We can't just say that the economy grew between 1980 and 2011, it didn't. It grew some, then shrunk some, then grew some, then collapsed to its knees, then hobbled back up, and now its growing some again. All those falls- they cost us.
If the economy had grown in a straight line, we'd have no national debt right now whatsoever.

This is a misnomer. In part, it is true, but in another part it is not. The economy is stronger now than in 1980, however, the growth is illusionary because it has primarily been created by debt. The same means by which future growth is expected and charted. It's not possible, it's not sustainable. Chart it out yourself!

Santara just spend a thread complaining to me about how the national debt was all Clintons fault, and saying that the economy was only on track towards the end of his 8 years to reduce the debt because of Gingrich. Or maybe it was widow, but same point.
Clinton used stimuluses to get the economy going, and that worked, and we got a huge economic boom, and that started to pay off the debt, and overall reduced it, like I've been saying.
The problem, of course, being that most of that was based on the dot.com bubble, which had predictable results. But even after dot.com, we recovered and set up again briskly, and he put us on pace to kill the debt once more.
When Bush inherited Clinton's post-dot.com bubble economy, with the beginnings of the banking and housing bubbles, we were well on track to reducing the national debt and building up the economy- everything looked good

But what happened? Bush took that surplus, and turned it into tax breaks for the wealthy, instead of reinvesting it. And made the economy incredibly fragile, so that when tragedy struck, we died, stagnated, collapsed and went into full blown recession.
Instead of getting up and dusting ourselves off and going right back to work like we did in Clinton's years after dot.com burst. Bush singlehandedly destroyed this country's economy in 8 short years, with his "pay off dividends instead of reinvesting a surplus" philosophy
Clinton might have been partly to blame for setting up those economic time bomb bubbles, but it was Bush's cowboy antics that killed us

You have it partly right. Clinton's period was considered a boom, and part of Keynesian economics dictates that you pay down the debt during your booms, and spend less, and spend more during the recessions. Clinton is the first time this occurred, he cut spending, and increased taxes to pay down the debt we were rapidly accumulating. Under GWB, we had *three* recessions, so for you to blame Bush for destroying the country is dishonest. First was the .com bubble, then 9/11 spurred another recession (small), and finally, the collapse that started towards the end of his presidency. According to Keynesian economics, he did the right thing by spending more, not the wrong thing. This proves that it *does not work*!

That only works if the two rates of growth stay equal, with no acceleration or deacceleration.
If the national debt's growth was only so high over 20 years because of economic stimulus, and the economy stays on a stable, strong course, the debt will slow down its growth, and yes, eventually it will reverse, and maybe within 30 years, be entirely gone.
We can't assume that the debt will grow with the economy even faster- social programs aren't the boogeyman, they won't rise up and eat us alive.
We can afford social security and medicare. They will grow, yes, but they aren't the driving factor behind the debt.

Chart it. The numbers are all there. Many people already have, and the gap has been ever widening over time, and only accelerating. You cannot cheat or lie with math, it is what it is.

Whats the single largest single contributor to our national debt? The Bush Tax Cuts, of course. Wheres our biggest projected money saver in both republican and democratic plans? Ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
If our economy keeps growing at 3% without any further bubbles, without any new giant wars or any more bush-style tax cuts, the debt, driven by only social programs, the debt will slow down, stop, and reverse.

FALSE! Watch the first video I posted in my first reply to you! This is an ABSOLUTE LIE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u24nH03NccI <-- shows the actual breakdown of the government budget

Entitlements comprise a vast majority of the budget, and they are expanding at a rate of 9.2% a year! This is unsustainable!
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567815Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll