d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How To Get To Heaven When You Die
Prev14567879Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 10 2012 08:26pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 10:21pm)
It's not baptism that saves. It's believing the gospel of Jesus Christ. That's what the bible says repeatedly, but you wish to cherry pick a few verses that have been poorly translated into english and twist them to fit your theology.  You have to take all of them and make them fit.  95% of the verses that tell people how to be saved tell us to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.  The word translated Believe means "to place your faith in" or "to rely upon"  The demons believe the Jesus exists, but they don't place their faith in Him for salvation. The bible says that it is enough to be saved, so you are contradicting the bible.

Ok then please.. translate for me (even though I am fluent in Greek) this verse -

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Based on that verse alone it is saying we do NOT receive forgiveness until we are baptized. It also says we do not receive the gift of the Holy Spirit until we are baptized. How can we enter heaven without those 2 being fulfilled? (forgiveness and the Holy Spirit)

Don't blame it on bad translation. That is the translation. You just refuse to believe it. Again you are saying "Well most of the NT says this.. so I'm not going to place any merit in that verse". That's absurd and ridiculous. You call me a cherry picker? That is cherry picking at it's finest. I also did not deny that everything you said is essential. I do believe it is. But so is baptism. Hate to break it to you bud.. but the bible is clear on it.

Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 10:21pm)
It's not baptism that saves. It's believing the gospel of Jesus Christ. That's what the bible says repeatedly, but you wish to cherry pick a few verses that have been poorly translated into english and twist them to fit your theology.  You have to take all of them and make them fit.  95% of the verses that tell people how to be saved tell us to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.  The word translated Believe means "to place your faith in" or "to rely upon"  The demons believe the Jesus exists, but they don't place their faith in Him for salvation. The bible says that it is enough to be saved to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, so you are contradicting the bible.  Baptism comes after the faith because baptism is not faith or salvation, otherwise, it would be mentioned when the bible lays out how to be saved. 

What is the gospel?  Do you know?

I also never said baptism comes BEFORE faith. It takes faith to be baptized.. But baptism is essential when you believe, confess, and repent. All 4 of those are FAITH.

This post was edited by Dune1 on Mar 10 2012 08:28pm
Gold: 186.16
Mar 10 2012 08:30pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 02:26am)
Ok then please.. translate for me (even though I am fluent in Greek) this verse -

38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Based on that verse alone it is saying we do NOT receive forgiveness until we are baptized.  It also says we do not receive the gift of the Holy Spirit until we are baptized.  How can we enter heaven without those 2 being fulfilled?  (forgiveness and the Holy Spirit)

Don't blame it on bad translation.  That is the translation.  You just refuse to believe it.  Again you are saying "Well most of the NT says this.. so I'm not going to place any merit in that verse".  That's absurd and ridiculous.  You call me a cherry picker?  That is cherry picking at it's finest.  I also did not deny that everything you said is essential.  I do believe it is.  But so is baptism.  Hate to break it to you bud.. but the bible is clear on it.

My belief is that the baptism here is a spiritual baptism that occurs the moment was believe on Jesus Christ for salvation. It is not water baptism. There is more than one type of baptism in the bible. That's where you err.
Retired Moderator
Mar 10 2012 08:32pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 10:30pm)
My belief is that the baptism here is a spiritual baptism that occurs the moment was believe on Jesus Christ for salvation.  It is not water baptism.  There is more than one type of baptism in the bible.  That's where you err.

Again if it was baptism of the Holy Spirit.. why do you not receive the Holy Spirit until after the baptism? Seems a little redundant..

Also, why did the apostles baptize (with water) when they converted people? Well.. because that is what was commanded of them through the Great Commission and what Peter spoke of in Acts..
Mar 10 2012 08:39pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 02:32am)
Again if it was baptism of the Holy Spirit.. why do you not receive the Holy Spirit until after the baptism?  Seems a little redundant..

Also, why did the apostles baptize (with water) when they converted people?  Well.. because that is what was commanded of them through the Great Commission and what Peter spoke of in Acts..

Because I never said that they weren't commanded to baptize. The baptism ALWAYS comes after salvation.

You cannot possess the Holy Spirit unless you are saved.

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Yet in Acts we find a group of saved individuals who have the Holy Spirit who haven't been baptized.

Ac 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

They were baptized AFTER they had already been saved. The baptism doesn't save. It's not the water that saves us, it's Jesus Christ.
Mar 10 2012 08:41pm
It's the Gospel that saves. Ro 1:16 ¶ For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

The gospel does not include baptism:

1Co 1:14 ¶ I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; 1Co 1:17 ¶ For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

That's why baptism always comes after confessing Christ as Lord and Savior. It's a picture of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.

http://robertwells.tripod.com/baptism2.html

This post was edited by xfrodobagginsx on Mar 10 2012 08:45pm
Gold: 1,551.00
Mar 10 2012 08:47pm
Religion is a creation of man's, and thats why is fails in regards to being anything concrete.
Societies change - with them ideas of people, and when it is religion that must adapt & answer to the changed wills of these people; such religion makes the history books - as MYTH.

In the usage of christian religious context God is a mearly a instument of men if you will.
Simply a tool to take on followers using false words of other men using the guise of divinity.

This post was edited by TradeBot on Mar 10 2012 08:49pm
Retired Moderator
Mar 10 2012 08:49pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 10:39pm)
Because I never said that they weren't commanded to baptize.  The baptism ALWAYS comes after salvation. 

You cannot possess the Holy Spirit unless you are saved. 

Ro 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Yet in Acts we find a group of saved individuals who have the Holy Spirit who haven't been baptized.

Ac 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

They were baptized AFTER they had already been saved.  The baptism doesn't save.  It's not the water that saves us, it's Jesus Christ.

Here comes the Theology :)

Certain groups (or individuals) in the bible (mostly Acts) received the same "Spirit" that the apostles did. The Holy Spirit they received allowed them to perform miracles. Speaking in tongues was the affirmation that they received the same Spirit the apostles did.

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the [ag]message. 45 All the [ah]circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered, 47 “Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?” 48 And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

So yeah.. not the same spirit we received. I don't know about you.. but I can't perform miracles, nor did I speak in tongues when I received the Holy Spirit.

Also -

1 Peter 3:21
Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you— not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience—through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Uh oh.. seems that baptism brings salvation...

And -

Acts 22:16
Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on His name.’

Again another verse saying baptism is essential to "wash" (or forgive) your sins.

Gold: 1,551.00
Mar 10 2012 09:18pm
You don't make peace with others howbeit you call them murderers, as you murder them.
Gold: 312.01
Mar 10 2012 09:22pm
I don't think heaven is a real thing. :(

It's a cool concept though, I'd be so down for 72 virgins.
Gold: 78.16
Mar 10 2012 09:23pm
Quote (PlasmaSnake101 @ Mar 11 2012 11:43am)
That's interesting. I had a dream aw well. I had a dream that I was banging your mother.

lold
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567879Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll