d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Adam And Eve
Prev14567819Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
May 23 2011 09:54am
Quote (ChaosIII @ May 23 2011 03:18am)
they came to earth in 11000bc yeah? And after god created the world in so many days they got put on the earth?  how come is there eividence that dinosaurs were here millions and millions of years before adam and eve were here?

Early man could not fathom the creation of the universe as we've begun to explain it today. Because of this, they recorded it in a way they could understand it--a creation by parts, broken into a time interval they could conceptualize.
Gold: 38,378.33
May 23 2011 09:55am
Quote (njaguar @ May 23 2011 07:50am)
What language are you using? It fits every definition of the term explanation. Just because you choose to use a different metric to come to an explanation does not necessarily mean another explanation is less valid. Neither is empirical, and both require belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanation

yes wikipedia isn't the most credible site, but it's a start. if it is at all relevant it clearly points out explanations are an assortment of facts - this is where evidence is neccesary and this is where the christian "explanation" lacks. i don't know why you're randomly pointing out what language i'm using, that's nearly ad hominem and unnecessary.
Admin
Gold: 15,820.00
Trader: Trusted
May 23 2011 09:55am
Quote (VxDoomxV @ 23 May 2011 10:50)
Science is progressing toward a truth while* religion is moving backwards.

If it (Christianity) is moving backwards, it should be easy to refute, should it not? It's odd how that seems to continually not be the case. As time goes on, our discoveries seem to lend more and more credence to what the bible has said all along.

Quote (majorblood @ 23 May 2011 10:51)
I have never heard of humans[homo-sapiens] being around for 6 million years, can you point this out?

Various textbooks over the years have stated various dates. I have read them between 6m to 5k years, depending on who is doing the writing. There is no "consensus" on how old homosapiens are, which even a small amount of research will show. I see more resources stating millions of years than I do thousands, or hundreds of thousands. That's a pretty big margin of error, which I stated in my original comment.
Gold: 5.77
May 23 2011 09:56am
Quote (majorblood @ May 23 2011 11:51am)
I have never heard of humans[homo-sapiens] being around for 6 million years, can you point this out?

Did they discontinue science at public schools or something? Upright walking developed around 6 million years ago, and our modern lineage started around 3 million years ago.
Gold: 0.00
May 23 2011 09:56am
Quote (majorblood @ May 23 2011 09:51am)

The fossil record of human ancestors may go back 6 million years or more, and the genus Homo arose at least 1.8 million years ago when australopithecines evolved into human ancestors known as Homo habilis.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/02/050223122209.htm

When talking about the homo genus you are correct, but when viewed loosely as 'human', njaguar is correct.

So yeah! Word mincing B)

This post was edited by piddywiffle on May 23 2011 09:57am
Gold: 330.00
May 23 2011 09:57am
Quote (inkanddagger @ 23 May 2011 15:42)
The Ark of Noah was a barge-like structure probably built of cypress or cedar ("gopherwood"). It was about 450 feet long by 75 feet in beam, and 45 feet high. Such a boat would displace 20,000 tons and have a gross tonnage of 14,000 tons. There were three decks, one door (in the side) and a window 18 inches high probably running around the top of the vessel under the roof. The ark was caulked "within and without" with pitch (Hebrew: kopher = "to cover,"---translated "atonement" elsewhere in the Old Testament).

The capacity of the ark was about 522 railroad cars, (1.4 million cubic feet). Only 188 railroad cars would be required to hold a pair of each of the 17,600 species of animals presently known to man, according to Dr. John Morris of the Institute of Creation Research. (This number of cars includes food supplies for a year's subsistence). From this we can assume that many perhaps as many as two-third of the species originally created by God are already extinct.

That may well be so, but that's rather irrelevant to working out how much room it would take, since anyone who thinks the bible stipulates two of each hasn't read that part very carefully. It's a lot more than 2 of each:

God instructs Noah to board the Ark with his family, seven pairs of the birds and the clean animals, and one pair of the unclean animals

Still waiting for proof to be found on Mt Ararat.... Anyone else think I'll be waiting a long time?
Admin
Gold: 15,820.00
Trader: Trusted
Quote (majorblood @ 23 May 2011 10:55)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explanation

yes wikipedia isn't the most credible site, but it's a start. if it is at all relevant it clearly points out explanations are an assortment of facts - this is where evidence is neccesary and this is where the christian "explanation" lacks. i don't know why you're randomly pointing out what language i'm using, that's nearly ad hominem and unnecessary.

ex·pla·na·tion [ek-spluh-ney-shuhn] –noun
1. the act or process of explaining.
2. something that explains; a statement made to clarify something and make it understandable; exposition: an explanation of a poem.
3. a meaning or interpretation: to find an explanation for a mystery.

No where does the definition state that an explanation must be comprised of secular material. Stop lying and making things up.
Gold: 5.77
Quote (njaguar @ May 23 2011 11:55am)
Various textbooks over the years have stated various dates. I have read them between 6m to 5k years, depending on who is doing the writing. There is no "consensus" on how old homosapiens are, which even a small amount of research will show. I see more resources stating millions of years than I do thousands, or hundreds of thousands. That's a pretty big margin of error, which I stated in my original comment.

No scientists place human origins at 5k years ago. You're using religious belief to disprove science.
Gold: 4,910.00
Quote (inkanddagger @ May 23 2011 09:42am)
The Ark of Noah was a barge-like structure probably built of cypress or cedar ("gopherwood"). It was about 450 feet long by 75 feet in beam, and 45 feet high. Such a boat would displace 20,000 tons and have a gross tonnage of 14,000 tons. There were three decks, one door (in the side) and a window 18 inches high probably running around the top of the vessel under the roof. The ark was caulked "within and without" with pitch (Hebrew: kopher = "to cover,"---translated "atonement" elsewhere in the Old Testament).

The capacity of the ark was about 522 railroad cars, (1.4 million cubic feet). Only 188 railroad cars would be required to hold a pair of each of the 17,600 species of animals presently known to man, according to Dr. John Morris of the Institute of Creation Research. (This number of cars includes food supplies for a year's subsistence). From this we can assume that many perhaps as many as two-third of the species originally created by God are already extinct.

I would've hated to be the guy gathering all the spiders and snakes. :cry:
Gold: Locked
May 23 2011 09:58am
Quote (AyeCaramba @ May 23 2011 08:57am)
That may well be so, but that's rather irrelevant to working out how much room it would take, since anyone who thinks the bible stipulates two of each hasn't read that part very carefully. It's a lot more than 2 of each:

Still waiting for proof to be found on Mt Ararat.... Anyone else think I'll be waiting a long time?

Yeah, considering any wood would have long since decayed...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567819Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll