d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Our Current Prison System
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 14,488.00
Mar 12 2010 09:32am
Quote (CrUeLSS @ Mar 12 2010 04:18am)
decriminalize marijuana

oh yes! How could law makers have possibly overlooked such a simple solution to all our problems...

This post was edited by VileDoom on Mar 12 2010 09:33am
Gold: 7,252.72
Mar 12 2010 09:39am
The only way to reform the mess in our prisons is by cracking down on gang activity and make it so punitive that the criminals will take it seriously . Follow this up with total segregation of gang members when they are finally locked up . This generation is not going to be reformed so it's time to work on the next one .

Crimes committed in the furthering of gang activity need to be treated as more than a single offense along the lines of RICO .
Gold: 14,488.00
Mar 12 2010 09:48am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 12 2010 10:39am)
The only way to reform the mess in our prisons is by cracking down on gang activity and make it so punitive that the criminals will take it seriously . Follow this up with total segregation of gang members when they are finally locked up . This generation is not going to be reformed so it's time to work on the next one .

Crimes committed in the furthering of gang activity need to be treated as more than a single offense along the lines of RICO .

That would be a positive step for sure but I don't have any idea how they would go about doing it. I'm sure you have seen the episodes "Gang Land" on either the Discovery Channel or History Channel, dont recall which station, but thats some nasty shit. :o
Mar 12 2010 09:59am
Quote (VileDoom @ Mar 12 2010 10:48am)
That would be a positive step for sure but I don't have any idea how they would go about doing it. I'm sure you have seen the episodes "Gang Land" on either the Discovery Channel or History Channel, dont recall which station, but thats some nasty shit. :o

I think it's time we started handing out life sentences with no parole for violent gang activity and drastically increase the penalties for the gang related drug industry . We also have to come up with a method for eliminating gang affiliation in the prisons , probably by segregation .

It will cost money but we need many more Super-Max prisons .
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 12 2010 10:33am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 12 2010 10:59am)
I think it's time we started handing out life sentences with no parole for violent gang activity and drastically increase the penalties for the gang related drug industry . We also have to come up with a method for eliminating gang affiliation in the prisons , probably by segregation .

I don't think ridiculous prison time is going to solve the problem.
Gold: 15.16
Mar 12 2010 12:09pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Mar 12 2010 03:01pm)
Decriminalization is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think that the rehabilitation thing is a huge step forward.  We also need to be more strict as far as locking down on illegal activities in prison - getting raped daily is going to do nothing to make someone a productive member of society and will simply leave them scarred, broken and traumatized.

Hire armies of counselors for prisoners to speak with and really learn how to get their heads into a better space, see how their actions were wrong, and work toward a healthy manner of self-expression.  Combined with job training so that they can walk out and right into the beginnings of a career, that should slash the recidivism rate significantly. 

But yeah - reforming the laws so that it's only the real criminals rather than a dude who happened to have an ounce of weed on him would probably be pretty cool too.  Bring the laws against crack down to the same level as laws against Cocaine, and generally clean up drug laws and other victimless crimes.

Ah, but the split side to this, of course, is that there are plenty of law-abiding folk who could stand to benefit from various rehabilitation, why should they be denied the opportunity when it is afforded to criminals and the like?

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 12 2010 03:59pm)

The 700 Billion we handed over to Wall Street criminals would have been better spend reforming the way we deal with crime nationwide, perhaps.

This post was edited by FriedrichNietzsche on Mar 12 2010 12:10pm
Mar 12 2010 12:36pm
Quote (FriedrichNietzsche @ Mar 12 2010 01:09pm)

[I]The 700 Billion we handed over to Wall Street criminals would have been better spend reforming the way we deal with crime nationwide, perhaps.

Since the larger part of those funds are currently being paid back I am okay with keeping AIG afloat . We will have to bite the financial bullet eventually to build modern , secure prisons however .

Gold: 42.00
Mar 12 2010 01:07pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Mar 12 2010 09:39am)

Yes, because no ex-gang members are productive members of society :rolleyes:

This post was edited by jjarv on Mar 12 2010 01:07pm
Gold: 10.21
Mar 12 2010 01:17pm
Quote (jjarv @ Mar 10 2010 10:12pm)
Let me know when you want to accept the fact that prison work programs put people out of work. I'll be happy to post the studies.

Prison labor should be limited to self-sufficiency and nothing more.

Yea but what if the prison labor WAS limited to tasks that promoted self-sustaining prison systems? To be able to work to make your own food, clothing, ect, would be productive as well as removing some of the burden of the government having to provide for these inmates.
Gold: 9,039.20
Mar 12 2010 01:18pm
Quote (jjarv @ Mar 12 2010 01:07pm)
Yes, because no ex-gang members are productive members of society :rolleyes:

My friend at work is Ex-crip and he owns a business :)

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll