d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread, Continued
Prev1455456457458459701Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 31 2023 05:35pm
Quote (Djunior @ Mar 31 2023 01:01pm)
Ask yourself if Russia and Ukraine had normal relations before Western interference (coup d'état) and if Russia leased their naval base from Ukraine without issues.

I'm having trouble understanding how guys like you and void distinguish between a popular uprising or revolution, and a coup. Do you think there's a difference?

Are we going to fall into the relativistic nonsense of "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter"?
Gold: 4,404.67
Mar 31 2023 05:38pm
Quote (Djunior @ 31 Mar 2023 20:38)
I obviously meant the recent past but if you want to trade shit posts, what if I told you that Hitler planned to starve all Soviet citizens so you would have your lebensraum.

How does that counter my argument though? The Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union is still affecting German relations with Russia in a negative way. Post-war, both sides had a lot to gain from trading with each other and were pragmatic enough to do what's in their mutual interest, but there surely was no deep love or respect for one another.

Quote (ofthevoid @ 31 Mar 2023 21:37)
Your posts read as that as of someone that's an armchair keyboard warrior tbh. As someone that's been to western Ukraine before and after 2014 and has roots in eastern Europe you're just kind of clueless on the dynamics, no offense. Your whole framing is that of some bondaged people breaking away from the yoke of some genocidal neighbor is completely nonsensical. You'd see how nonsensical it is if you actually been there in the past and saw Ukrainians, even in many parts of the west speaking Russian, having a grandmother or a cousin living in Russia, having a wife that's half Russian and so on. My wife's aunt who's from western Ukraine used to do business regularly in Russia prior to 2014 and it was her main source of revenue. Ukraine's relationship was very close to what we see here with Canada, a far cry from the nonsense you're framing.

It is not a given that relations between Ukraine and Russia have to deteriorate dramatically just because Ukraine becomes more cordial or economically involved with the EU. Russia's "you're either our friend or their friend, but there is no in between" is a false binary that you're uncritically accepting.

This binary only makes sense for a reactionary, imperialist power which is still mentally trapped in Cold War logic. Or for a corrupt regime which is robbing its own people blind and which would genuinely be threatened by improving democratic standards in its immediate neighborhood.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 31 2023 05:42pm
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 31 2023 05:43pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 1 Apr 2023 01:29)
The bolded is really the key point of contention in my opinion. The way you and I and most others from the "pro-Ukraine" side in this war believe that a revolt against the Russia-aligned president was organically underway due to their outrage over Yanukovych tearing apart the EU-UA association agreement at the eleventh hour. (Which btw went against Yanukovych's promises from the campaign trail for the 2010 presidential election.)

From that point on, things derailed quickly; Yanukovych deployed his Berkut secret police which violently cracked down on the Euromaidan protesters, who in turn got increasingly violent as well, and so on and forth. The way we see it, the train toward coup-town had already left the station at that point and the West decided to jump the train and try to shape the events such that the outcome would serve our interests (i.e. there is a pro-Western government when the dust settles).

The way the pro-Russian posters see it, the Euromaidan protests were astroturfed by the CIA/Western intelligence from the get go and would never have gotten this explosive without our interference. Hence, the legitimately elected president was ousted by a coup which was illegitimate and never actually represented the will of the Ukrainian people. The constitutional gridlock (between the Moscow-aligned president and the pro-EU parliament) was thus resolved in favor of Western interests, at the expense of the - in their view - "at least half" of the Ukrainian population which would have preferred to remained aligned with Russia.

Big flaw here is that you are completely ignoring the whole background activity of russian secret services over the whole period.
They were aware of the incoming changes since a while and were preventing it since at least... lets take a significant event: Viktor Yushchenko poisoning in 2005.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Yushchenko

This post was edited by Meanwhile on Mar 31 2023 05:43pm
Mar 31 2023 05:47pm
Quote (Meanwhile @ 1 Apr 2023 01:43)
Big flaw here is that you are completely ignoring the whole background activity of russian secret services over the whole period.
They were aware of the incoming changes since a while and were preventing it since at least... lets take a significant event: Viktor Yushchenko poisoning in 2005.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Yushchenko

Sure. The narrative of the pro-Russia side doesn't hold up to scrutiny for a myriad of reasons. For example, they love to stress that Yanukovych was democratically elected and that a majority of Ukraine's population had thus given a pro-Russia verdict before all the fuckery by foreign intelligence began. Except that even regions which Yanukovych had won by large margins in 2010, like e.g. Kharkiv or Odessa, were resisting the Russian invasion with the exact same kind of valor and determination as pro-Western regions like Kyiv.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 31 2023 05:47pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Mar 31 2023 06:02pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 31 2023 03:45pm)
First of all, you keep saying EU/NATO. Many Ukrainians wanted a closer relationship with Europe due to economic reasons and benefits of EU such as visa free travel, investments, loans, etc, nothing to do with a closer relationship with NATO. That was the western half, that lost the election.

Let's leave out the fact that this coup was western backed and funded for a second. Why do you think it's okay for the half of the country that lost an election to violently depose the elected president? He had the legitimate power to stop pro-EU trade pacts so not sure why you think he somehow went outside the scope of what the president can do.

I mean weren't you posting about how terrible Jan 6 was and how historic of an attack that was? If that was successful and we had Democrat politicians and judges imprisoned or running for the hills and CNN and MSNBC was banned that's what Ukraine is post Maidan. Just strange how you were pearl clutching about the domestic case but this is some beacon of freedom and democracy on display.

I don't. Recognizing they would have revolted organically and supporting it aren't the same. AFAIK I haven't posted i support it. Because I don't.

U keep doing it. Telling me what I think instead of reading what I say.
Gold: 12,095.00
Mar 31 2023 06:02pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 31 2023 07:38pm)

It is not a given that relations between Ukraine and Russia have to deteriorate dramatically just because Ukraine becomes more cordial or economically involved with the EU. Russia's "you're either our friend or their friend, but there is no in between" is a false binary that you're uncritically accepting.

This binary only makes sense for a reactionary, imperialist power which is still mentally trapped in Cold War logic. Or for a corrupt regime which is robbing its own people blind and which would genuinely be threatened by improving democratic standards in its immediate neighborhood.

Russia is imperialistic not doubt, they want their sphere of influence (ex-soviet states) which we (the west) were totally okay with them having post dissolution of USSR and that was the understanding on both sides.

You're either with us or with them is pretty accurate how they see it though if they look at the last 20-25 years. I mean they saw NATO add half a dozen countries closer and closer to their borders with no real good reason at a time (1990-2005) really when Russia was in shambles and was no threat to anyone. If the 30+country military alliance continues to grow with each new member joining the EU eventually joining NATO as well why would they all of the suddenly believe Ukraine wouldn't eventually join NATO if they are on the path to join the EU? Our politicians blasted that they will join NATO, Ukraine's pro-west politicians said the same, can you blame them thinking Ukraine will eventually join if they do nothing?

If one thing European military alliances have shown us in the last few hundred years is eventually that military build-up will result in a war. They're not stupid, they weren't simply going to peacefully allow NATO to take their Black sea fleet critical Crimea base, they weren't going to allow a country of 40+ million to be folded in the ever growing military alliance led by a country that for the last 80 years has fought dozens of proxy wars against USSR.
Gold: 4.91
Warn: 10%
Mar 31 2023 06:03pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 31 2023 08:47pm)
Sure. The narrative of the pro-Russia side doesn't hold up to scrutiny for a myriad of reasons. For example, they love to stress that Yanukovych was democratically elected and that a majority of Ukraine's population had thus given a pro-Russia verdict before all the fuckery by foreign intelligence began. Except that even regions which Yanukovych had won by large margins in 2010, like e.g. Kharkiv or Odessa, were resisting the Russian invasion with the exact same kind of valor and determination as pro-Western regions like Kyiv.

Pro Russian Ukrainians didn't want to join Russia, they just didn't want their language banned, the government that took over in a western backed coup instantly tried to erase anything Russian from Ukraine, and when people resisted Ukraine sent in the military to force them to do so. Maybe you see that as justified, I don't. I see it as completely within their rights to protest those changes when the government who made them was not legitimate.

Former intelligence and military from Russia did organize the resistance, and even said that the war would not have happened without their involvement, because what happened in Odessa would have happened in Eastern Ukraine.

I wouldn't really care if 99% of the country said they wanted to become the next American state, if their method of achieving that is burning people alive I don't think it should be respected. Maybe that is undemocratic of me.

None of this makes Russia "good", it doesn't justify more civilians being killed, it doesn't justify the many many horrors that this war has created both in Ukraine and abroad but it is a direct consequence of continuous western involvement after repeated attempts to settle the situation diplomatically.

This post was edited by DizzyBusiness on Mar 31 2023 06:18pm
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 31 2023 06:07pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 1 Apr 2023 01:47)

Ah yes, this is refreshing. And a close language which makes things disturbing.
Fsb & related has long term plans/programs soviet style, and regarding ukraine it's about decades of experience, guys with a full career over it.
They identified the incoming fall and were trying to prevent it since a very long time Imho.
Mar 31 2023 06:17pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 1 Apr 2023 02:02)
Russia is imperialistic not doubt, they want their sphere of influence (ex-soviet states) which we (the west) were totally okay with them having post dissolution of USSR and that was the understanding on both sides.

You're either with us or with them is pretty accurate how they see it though if they look at the last 20-25 years. I mean they saw NATO add half a dozen countries closer and closer to their borders with no real good reason at a time (1990-2005) really when Russia was in shambles and was no threat to anyone. If the 30+country military alliance continues to grow with each new member joining the EU eventually joining NATO as well why would they all of the suddenly believe Ukraine wouldn't eventually join NATO if they are on the path to join the EU? Our politicians blasted that they will join NATO, Ukraine's pro-west politicians said the same, can you blame them thinking Ukraine will eventually join if they do nothing?

If one thing European military alliances have shown us in the last few hundred years is eventually that military build-up will result in a war. They're not stupid, they weren't simply going to peacefully allow NATO to take their Black sea fleet critical Crimea base, they weren't going to allow a country of 40+ million to be folded in the ever growing military alliance led by a country that for the last 80 years has fought dozens of proxy wars against USSR.

NATO accepted the Eastern European members because those countries desperately WANTED to join NATO. The Poles, Romanians, and even many Ukrainians, always knew that it was only a matter of time until Russia would be reinvigorated and coming to restore its lost empire.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 31 2023 06:17pm
Gold: 5,016.77
Mar 31 2023 06:24pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 31 2023 08:02pm)

The US was okay with leaving ex-Soviet States entirely in Russia's influence after we just won the Cold War? Could you post some evidence of that?

Even if it were true, it would be subject to whatever administration was in power, which the Russians would have understood. We don't have leaders for life like Putin.

Nations joined the EU and NATO because they wanted freedom, prosperity, and security. They could obviously look at a weakened Russia, which nevertheless had a stockpile of nuclear weapons, and be concerned about security.

There's something to be said about US/Western security policy working with the objections of the Russians. If there was a real pursuit for Ukraine to join NATO, I'd at least understand the talking point, but they hadn't even joined the EU yet. This invasion was Putin trying to reclaim the great historical Russian empire in his head, because he knew that dream was dying. But it's already dead.

This post was edited by IceMage on Mar 31 2023 06:25pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1455456457458459701Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll