d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1444546474878Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Trader: Scammer
Apr 28 2013 12:49pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 28 2013 09:57am)

You're right in saying that if I tell the word there is no such thing as Yahweh, then 5 billion people will agree. However, if 2 billion people tell the world that there is such a God as Yahweh, + the billions of other people that have lived all through history then surely the 5 billion people will agree.

By this argument, don't we have to grant credibility to all historical traditions and superstitions reported by a large enough number of people?

You can't dismiss the accounts of historical claims along with the claims of the here and now. The sheer number alone amounts to more than 5 billion. This is true because the population has been living their respective generation for more than 2000 years with roughly 100 years each. 20 generations telling the single generation of the here and now that there is such a God as yahweh.

And the Islamic traditions have survived for 1400 years and had historical accounts, and historically would total >5 billion adherents (though the relevance of this number is escaping me, as it started out as the current number of people not believing in that particular god), you can't dismiss this, correct?
Gold: 1.00
Apr 28 2013 12:54pm
Does each person have their own deity?

Or are we living in a dream of the God's?
Gold: 0.00
Apr 28 2013 01:22pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 28 2013 05:57am)
Then why don't you change the word logic and use your own word but keep the same question? Then at least you will be able to sleep at night.

You're right in saying that if I tell the word there is no such thing as Yahweh, then 5 billion people will agree. However, if 2 billion people tell the world that there is such a God as Yahweh, + the billions of other people that have lived all through history then surely the 5 billion people will agree.

You can't dismiss the accounts of historical claims along with the claims of the here and now. The sheer number alone amounts to more than 5 billion. This is true because the population has been living their respective generation for more than 2000 years with roughly 100 years each. 20 generations telling the single generation of the here and now that there is such a God as yahweh.

Now try to claim that 5 billion people won't believe.

Ad populum.
Gold: 1.00
Apr 28 2013 01:40pm
Quote (N1ccolo @ Apr 28 2013 11:49am)
By this argument, don't we have to grant credibility to all historical traditions and superstitions reported by a large enough number of people?

And the Islamic traditions have survived for 1400 years and had historical accounts, and historically would total >5 billion adherents (though the relevance of this number is escaping me, as it started out as the current number of people not believing in that particular god), you can't dismiss this, correct?

Why not grant credibility to all historical perceptions?
Gold: 722.53
Warn: 10%
Apr 28 2013 04:37pm
Why are we making arguments via the bandwagon fallacy as well as the ad populum fallacy?
Apr 28 2013 06:46pm
Quote (brmv @ Apr 29 2013 12:28am)
not sure about 'bentherdonethat' but i certainly do not argue that so many people won't believe, actually i am pretty sure that there have been and are quite a lot of people who believe in one of the abrahamic versions of god. definitely not a british billion though but methinks you are referring to the american billion. but i do have to disappoint you, even a billion or more people can be wrong, so your argument is flawed: i sincerely hope that you are able to understand that

All crowds have a representative. Look to the big figures in the Bible. The people like Moses, Abraham, David, John the Baptist...Jesus just to name a few.
If you don't believe those people then you wouldn't believe even if somebody came back from the dead and told you.
If you don't believe anything in the Bible then surely you must have a different history of what happened back then?

You should also know that it is not 'my story' it is God's story with his relationship with man. In order to understand the present, you must first have knowledge of the past.

Quote (bentherdonethat @ Apr 29 2013 01:00am)
You clearly didn't think this one through. If you're invoking people who lived in the past, then the people who believe in Yahweh will still be in the minority. And I don't have to claim that 5 billion people won't believe, because this scenario is already playing out right here on Earth. 5 billion people don't believe.

You obviously looked over the big names in the Bible. From there everything you said did indeed makes sense. Just that from there your thoughts from then on have been...wrong.

Quote (N1ccolo @ Apr 29 2013 04:49am)

Get to the point.
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 28 2013 06:55pm
Quote (CPK001 @ 29 Apr 2013 00:46)
All crowds have a representative. Look to the big figures in the Bible. The people like Moses, Abraham, David, John the Baptist...Jesus just to name a few.
If you don't believe those people then you wouldn't believe even if somebody came back from the dead and told you.
you always believe in the representatives of large crowd? then it's time for you to read the writing of mao zedong again!
If you don't believe anything in the Bible then surely you must have a different history of what happened back then?

when did i say that i "don't believe anything in the bible"? there are some parts of the bible which have some historical or literary value - but that does not result in me believing in the religious ideas drown from it
and one thing for sure, i do not take the first part of genesis on face value - do you feel comfortable with young earth creationism?

This post was edited by brmv on Apr 28 2013 07:05pm
Gold: 500.00
Apr 28 2013 06:58pm
Quote (sylvannos @ Apr 28 2013 02:22pm)
Ad populum.

Quote (AEtheric @ Apr 28 2013 05:37pm)
Why are we making arguments via the bandwagon fallacy as well as the ad populum fallacy?

god exists outside logic, where are your precious fallacies now?
Gold: 2,285.00
Apr 28 2013 08:07pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 28 2013 08:46pm)
You obviously looked over the big names in the Bible. From there everything you said did indeed makes sense. Just that from there your thoughts from then on have been...wrong.

You got caught making a plainly silly statement. It's all right if you just admit it. Smokescreens of denial don't suit you.
Apr 28 2013 10:12pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Apr 28 2013 04:58pm)
god exists outside logic, where are your precious fallacies now?

My bad! I completely forgot He is beyond our comprehension and lives outside of human thinking. My medications must have been fucking with me big time when I made that post. :(
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1444546474878Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll