d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev14243444546443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,485.00
Sep 17 2018 07:50am
Quote (Beowulf @ Sep 17 2018 09:46am)
Everyone here has seen you deny video evidence if it doesn't fit your political narrative

and denying fucking guilty verdicts when it doesn't fit your political narrative

You attack the potential victim over and over and over while bitching about character assassination for bringing forward an accusation that so far does seem to hold a reasonable level of credibility

I never deny video evidence. I sometimes point out that it isn't clear. I sometimes accuse others of reading too much into video evidence. But I don't deny video evidence.
Please try to keep things accurate, if the only point you can make involves insults and inaccuracies.
Gold: 28,296.75
Sep 17 2018 07:51am
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 17 2018 06:50am)
I never deny video evidence. I sometimes point out that it isn't clear. I sometimes accuse others of reading too much into video evidence. But I don't deny video evidence.
Please try to keep things accurate, if the only point you can make involves insults and inaccuracies.

Sep 17 2018 07:54am
Quote (Beowulf @ Sep 17 2018 09:51am)

Top Gun. Good movie. I might add that Iceman was... wrong when he said bullshit. Wasn't he. ^^

/e Another highly detailed point about Kavanaugh I see. :/

This post was edited by Ghot on Sep 17 2018 07:56am
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 17 2018 07:56am
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 17 2018 07:20am)
If I post a link you'll just repost a Reuters link, so I thought you could handle it.

----

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/09/brett-kavanaugh-allegations-serious-but-not-solid/

Good article from David French... I agree with him. If there's no other accusers coming forward, and this woman doesn't have any more evidence, I say that's not good enough to deny his nomination.

I think its best looked at through the lens of what the implications would be if we did say this allegation on its own was enough
A lot of focus has been on the denial, and rebutting the accusation and character witnesses. But lets say for sake of argument that thanks to #MeToo, somehow this accusation is enough to tear down the man's career
well what would that mean?

If all it took is a single accusation from one woman without any corroborating evidence, little to no specifics, no date, no place, no details, the only 2 people named denying it ever happened, a considerable background of both personal and political bias against the man she's accusing, the obviously arranged timing, no other accusations to establish a pattern of misconduct, a 35 year delay from which no story could be credibly retold with clarity, discrepancies within her own account that only goes back to 2012, her own admission of intoxication being a factor for both parties, the not particularly serious actions of a minor- if we can have all those factors to doubt and/or mitigate the accusation and nothing to support it, and that still somehow is enough, then what protections do we have against false accusations?

I could go out and say I saw Goody Feinstein with the devil, would they burn her at the stake on nothing more than my say-so?

This post was edited by Goomshill on Sep 17 2018 07:56am
Sep 17 2018 08:02am
Quote (Goomshill @ Sep 17 2018 09:56am)
I think its best looked at through the lens of what the implications would be if we did say this allegation on its own was enough
A lot of focus has been on the denial, and rebutting the accusation and character witnesses. But lets say for sake of argument that thanks to #MeToo, somehow this accusation is enough to tear down the man's career

If all it took is a single accusation from one woman without any corroborating evidence, little to no specifics, no date, no place, no details, the only 2 people named denying it ever happened, a considerable background of both personal and political bias against the man she's accusing, the obviously arranged timing, no other accusations to establish a pattern of misconduct, a 35 year delay from which no story could be credibly retold with clarity, discrepancies within her own account that only goes back to 2012, her own admission of intoxication being a factor for both parties- if we can have all those factors to doubt the accusation and nothing to support it, and that still somehow is enough, then what protections do we have against false accusations?

I could go out and say I saw Goody Feinstein with the devil, would they burn her at the stake on nothing more than my say-so?

Agreed. We are allowing a dangerous precedent here, when we give any credibility to last minute claims of ... anything.
I grew up in the days when no one said anything before having proof. In fact, doing so was very dangerous tactic. It seems that somehow, we've started to actually give due consideration to accounts with zero proof.

I know I've said it before, but I'm glad I'm getting old. We are changing into a society I want nothing to do with.

This post was edited by Ghot on Sep 17 2018 08:04am
Gold: 28,296.75
Sep 17 2018 08:06am
Quote (Ghot @ Sep 17 2018 07:02am)
Agreed. We are allowing a dangerous precedent here, when we give any credibility to last minute claims of ... anything.
I grew up in the days when no one said anything before having proof. In fact, doing so was very dangerous tactic. It seems that somehow, we've started to actually give due consideration to accounts with zero proof.

I know I've said it before, but I'm glad I'm getting old. We are changing to become a society I want nothing to do with.

You grew up in the day where women and boys and girls were shamed into silence for their entire lives over sexual abuse and mistreatment

called liars and sluts and treated like garbage if they came forward so they took that pain every day which lead them into addictions and suicides and repeating history

Gold: 4,404.67
Sep 17 2018 08:12am
Quote (Goomshill @ 17 Sep 2018 15:56)

If all it took is a single accusation from one woman without any corroborating evidence, little to no specifics, no date, no place, no details, the only 2 people named denying it ever happened, a considerable background of both personal and political bias against the man she's accusing, the obviously arranged timing, no other accusations to establish a pattern of misconduct, a 35 year delay from which no story could be credibly retold with clarity, discrepancies within her own account that only goes back to 2012, her own admission of intoxication being a factor for both parties, the not particularly serious actions of a minor- if we can have all those factors to doubt and/or mitigate the accusation and nothing to support it, and that still somehow is enough, then what protections do we have against false accusations?

perfect summary of the long-term implications if this madness proves successful.

Sep 17 2018 08:12am
Quote (Beowulf @ Sep 17 2018 10:06am)
You grew up in the day where women and boys and girls were shamed into silence for their entire lives over sexual abuse and mistreatment

called liars and sluts and treated like garbage if they came forward so they took that pain every day which lead them into addictions and suicides and repeating history

And how would you know that. When all you have to go by is histories written by folks who believed that?

Like I said... when anyone accused anyone of anything, the first response was "where's the proof". Now-a-days the first response is, yes, I am a sheeple I believe anything someone with an ulterior motive, says.

You gonna get back to the Kavanaugh issue, or do you feel the need to attempt to belittle me some more.

/e

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 17 2018 10:12am)
perfect summary of the long-term implications if this madness proves successful.

Yep, yep. As I mentioned after reading Gooms post... we are setting a dangerous precedent here.

This post was edited by Ghot on Sep 17 2018 08:14am
Gold: 57.00
Sep 17 2018 08:15am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 17 Sep 2018 10:12)

throw them all in the potomac river as the litmus test from now on. if they sink they are innocent if they float they’re guilty
Sep 17 2018 08:18am
Quote (excellence @ Sep 17 2018 10:15am)
throw them all in the potomac river as the litmus test from now on. if they sink and drown, they are innocent if they float they’re guilty

Fixed. :)

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14243444546443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll