d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Joe Biden 2020 Thread
Prev141424344451036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 31 2020 08:40pm
Quote (Goomshill @ Mar 25 2020 07:00pm)
https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/
https://www.dailywire.com/news/woman-accuses-joe-biden-of-sexual-assault

On Wednesday morning, journalist and podcaster Katie Harper released an audio clip of an interview with Tara Reade, a former staff assistant to Joe Biden, in which Reade claims that Biden sexually assaulted her in 1993.

The story begins with Reade being instructed to rush a gym bag to Biden. Upon reaching then-Senator Biden with the bag, Reade claims that he greeted her by name, and proceeded to sexually assault her in a “side area.”

“We were alone, and it was the strangest thing. There was no, like, exchange really, he just had me up against the wall,” Reade claims.

“His hands were on me, and underneath my clothes,” Reade later says. “He went down my skirt, but then up inside. He penetrated me with his fingers.”

Reade alleges that Biden was kissing her and asking her if she “wanted to go somewhere else,” and that after the alleged assault was complete, he said, “C’mon man, I heard you liked me.”

Reade told Harper that Biden’s alleged phrase stuck with her because it made her think about what she “might have said.”

For me, it was like everything shattered in that moment because I knew that we were alone. It was over, right? He wasn’t trying to do anything more – but I looked up to him, he was like my father’s age, he was like this champion of women’s rights in my eyes and I couldn’t believe it was happening. It seemed surreal. I just felt sick because when he pulled back, he looked annoyed, and he said something else to me that I don’t want to say, and then he said – I must have looked shocked … I don’t know how I looked, but I must have looked something because he grabbed me by the shoulders, and said, “You’re okay. You’re fine. You’re okay. You’re fine,” and then he walked away, and went on with his day.

Reade says she was later in a stairwell, “shaking” and “trying to grasp what had just happened and what I should do or what I should say.”

When Harper asked Reade if she wanted to speak about what she alleges Biden said, she replied that she was reluctant because it is “the thing that stays in my head.”

Regardless, she then told Harper what Biden allegedly said:

He just like pointed at me and he said, “You’re nothing to me!” And then he just looked at me and said, “You’re nothing. Nothing.” … I must’ve reacted because that’s when he took me by the shoulders and he said, “You’re okay. You’re fine. You’re okay.”

Harper notes at the beginning of the clip that there are no witnesses to the alleged assault, but that “Tara’s brother and Tara’s close friend” both “recalled her telling them about the incident at the time.”

https://soundcloud.com/katie-halper/joe-bidens-accuser-finally-tells-her-full-story

So, uh, how are things going with this? Do you believe her?
Gold: 5,016.77
Gold: 4,404.67
Apr 10 2020 06:04pm
Quote (IceMage @ 11 Apr 2020 01:53)

Why is it a risk? It's not like Trump will set the bar very high during the debates.

Generally speaking - wow, look at the energy and excitement in this thread! :rofl:
Apr 10 2020 06:12pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 10 2020 08:04pm)
Why is it a risk? It's not like Trump will set the bar very high during the debates.

Generally speaking - wow, look at the energy and excitement in this thread! :rofl:

The tweet sort of covered it. If the attack line is that Biden is a dementia patient who can't string a sentence together, but then he fends well in a debate, the attack works for him. It lowered expectations. Trump got beat by the guy who was supposed to be an idiot.

Online excitement doesn't win elections.
Apr 10 2020 06:27pm
Quote (IceMage @ 11 Apr 2020 02:12)
The tweet sort of covered it. If the attack line is that Biden is a dementia patient who can't string a sentence together, but then he fends well in a debate, the attack works for him. It lowered expectations. Trump got beat by the guy who was supposed to be an idiot.

Online excitement doesn't win elections.

Ah, now I get it. And yes, from the pov of the Trump campaign, the "Biden is getting senile"-ads should not be the main angle of attack. It hinges too much on something outside of his control, namely how well Biden performs during the debates.

I mean... if Biden does have a bad debate performance and really gives off many signs of dementia, Trump's campaign can still start airing the corresponding ads hammering this point home. There would be plenty of time to do that.

----

Online excitement doesnt win elections, but neither does "zero excitement of any shape or form". ;) Biden's whole campaign to me seems like a risky bet on enough people being fed up with Trump and coming to the polls just to get rid of him.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Apr 10 2020 06:28pm
Apr 10 2020 06:44pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 10 2020 08:27pm)
Ah, now I get it. And yes, from the pov of the Trump campaign, the "Biden is getting senile"-ads should not be the main angle of attack. It hinges too much on something outside of his control, namely how well Biden performs during the debates.

I mean... if Biden does have a bad debate performance and really gives off many signs of dementia, Trump's campaign can still start airing the corresponding ads hammering this point home. There would be plenty of time to do that.

----

Online excitement doesnt win elections, but neither does "zero excitement of any shape or form". ;) Biden's whole campaign to me seems like a risky bet on enough people being fed up with Trump and coming to the polls just to get rid of him.

All the money in the world couldn't get Bloomberg the nomination. All the excitement couldn't do it for Bernie. Was Hillary an exciting candidate? She won the popular vote by almost 3 million and lost by a slim margin in a few key battleground states.

Trump spurs excitement but is the first modern president who can't seem to break even on approval rating. I'm not sure enthusiasm is a huge factor in 2020.
Apr 10 2020 07:00pm
Quote (IceMage @ 11 Apr 2020 02:44)
All the money in the world couldn't get Bloomberg the nomination. All the excitement couldn't do it for Bernie. Was Hillary an exciting candidate? She won the popular vote by almost 3 million and lost by a slim margin in a few key battleground states.

Trump spurs excitement but is the first modern president who can't seem to break even on approval rating. I'm not sure enthusiasm is a huge factor in 2020.

One could argue that Clinton only won the popular vote because Trump underperformed in California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, not so much because she was a strong candidate in her own right.

But perhaps you're right. Perhaps there'll be an "enthusiasm gap" in 2020 which is similar to 2020, but it doesnt matter in the end because too many of the moderates and swing voters who arent thrilled about either candidate break against Trump this time. (They didnt in 2016!)

Perhaps Trump's alienation of suburban, college-educated white women has already done irreperable damage and he's already doomed without knowing it. There's so much in the air, so much uncertainty right now. Particularly because of corona.

My instinct still tells me that Trump is a slight favorite, but my mind tells me that he's probably below even money. Objectively, there's a ton of downside potential for him at the moment, and very little upside potential.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Apr 10 2020 07:01pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 10 2020 07:06pm
Gold: Locked
Apr 10 2020 07:17pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 10 2020 06:00pm)
One could argue that Clinton only won the popular vote because Trump underperformed in California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, not so much because she was a strong candidate in her own right.

But perhaps you're right. Perhaps there'll be an "enthusiasm gap" in 2020 which is similar to 2020, but it doesnt matter in the end because too many of the moderates and swing voters who arent thrilled about either candidate break against Trump this time. (They didnt in 2016!)

Perhaps Trump's alienation of suburban, college-educated white women has already done irreperable damage and he's already doomed without knowing it. There's so much in the air, so much uncertainty right now. Particularly because of corona.

My instinct still tells me that Trump is a slight favorite, but my mind tells me that he's probably below even money. Objectively, there's a ton of downside potential for him at the moment, and very little upside potential.

Incumbent always has advantage.
Apr 10 2020 07:20pm
Quote (Testiclese @ 11 Apr 2020 03:17)
Incumbent always has advantage.

rofl, no.

incumbency is always an advantage, but it can easily be offset by other factors, so that he's going into his reelection as an underdog. for example Bush Sr. in 92 when he was coming off of a recession, or Truman in 48.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev141424344451036Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll