d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev14054064074084093169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 57.00
Jun 3 2016 09:14am
Quote (ThatAlex @ 3 Jun 2016 11:06)
I was pretty embarrassed and ashamed when Liberals got behind that "Drumpf" movement back in February. It was a pretty big deal; a lot of Democratic voters and supporters passed around videos on social media, bought the hat, shared memes and etc.

How hypocritical was that? I thought the Left was better than the Right in that they wouldn't stoop as low as to question or make fun of someone's ancestry for their own political gain. Apparently not.

Now, the Obama birther movement was way worse and way more rampant in my opinion, but I hold the Left to a higher standard than the Right. The Drumpf thing didn't sit well with me. How was Trump in any control over what his ancestors were called or when they changed their name? I understand the segment was making a larger point about how Trump is essentially a con-artist who over-glorifies his accomplishments and is all about his "Trump" brand, but I just thought it was a bad direction for the Left to go and latch on to. Embarrassing.

it was a total joke that just got john oliver some traffic for a bit, the pseudo-intellectual that he is. just a laughable example of hypocrisy that no one got called out for (and no1 care tbh). bunch of nu-males thought they were cute with the drumpf hats for a bit.

Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 3 2016 09:32am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jun 3 2016 09:06am)
I was pretty embarrassed and ashamed when Liberals got behind that "Drumpf" movement back in February. It was a pretty big deal; a lot of Democratic voters and supporters passed around videos on social media, bought the hat, shared memes and etc.

How hypocritical was that? I thought the Left was better than the Right in that they wouldn't stoop as low as to question or make fun of someone's ancestry for their own political gain. Apparently not.

Now, the Obama birther movement was way worse and way more rampant in my opinion, but I hold the Left to a higher standard than the Right. The Drumpf thing didn't sit well with me. How was Trump in any control over what his ancestors were called or when they changed their name? I understand the segment was making a larger point about how Trump is essentially a con-artist who over-glorifies his accomplishments and is all about his "Trump" brand, but I just thought it was a bad direction for the Left to go and latch on to. Embarrassing.

To be fair the Drumpf crowd was laden with meme trolls, IMO the birther crowd had less. Drumpf was more of a satire than an actual critique, plus it was pointing out Trump as hypocritical, both as a birther himself and the fact that he's criticized others for changing their names.
Gold: 2,620.00
Jun 3 2016 09:40am
Quote (thesnipa @ 3 Jun 2016 10:32)
To be fair the Drumpf crowd was laden with meme trolls, IMO the birther crowd had less. Drumpf was more of a satire than an actual critique, plus it was pointing out Trump as hypocritical, both as a birther himself and the fact that he's criticized others for changing their names.

You're completely right. But for better or worse, I just like to hold the Left to a higher standard than the Right on some of this stuff. Why are liberals so obsessed with attacking his ancestors' name, net worth, and etc? He only says or suggests about a million dumb ideas every day.
Jun 3 2016 09:46am
Quote (ThatAlex @ 3 Jun 2016 11:40)
You're completely right. But for better or worse, I just like to hold the Left to a higher standard than the Right on some of this stuff. Why are liberals so obsessed with attacking his ancestors' name, net worth, and etc? He only says or suggests about a million dumb ideas every day.

guess they are against a good portion of immigrants, as anglicizing one's surname upon arriving to USA was common for immigrants from all different countries.
Gold: 28,296.75
Jun 3 2016 09:47am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jun 3 2016 07:40am)

Why do you or anyone else get to dictate which issues people feel are important can pursue?

His name was relevant at the time and his worth has always been a legitimate and relevant issue because of the context in which he ran his campaign and advertised himself.

People don't have to share the same issues to oppose a candidate and what may be important to you isn't as important to others.

For example I think he should release his tax returns in order to keep up with what I view as a very important tradition of transparency. Some people don't view it as that important but that doesn't mean I should let it go because they want me to focus on something else and vice versa for other people

Jun 3 2016 09:57am
Quote (Beowulf @ 3 Jun 2016 10:47)
Why do you or anyone else get to dictate which issues people feel are important can pursue?

His name was relevant at the time and his worth has always been a legitimate and relevant issue because of the context in which he ran his campaign and advertised himself.

People don't have to share the same issues to oppose a candidate and what may be important to you isn't as important to others.

For example I think he should release his tax returns in order to keep up with what I view as a very important tradition of transparency. Some people don't view it as that important but that doesn't mean I should let it go because they want me to focus on something else and vice versa for other people

I'm not dictating anything. Am I advocating for something? Yes. People can choose what they care about and don't care about. I'm simply arguing for what I think is important and adding my two cents to the conversation. I have aspirations for the Democratic party and progressive movement beyond poking fun at someone's ancestry. Others don't have to agree with it, and you can certainly choose what it important for you as a voter. I'm also pointing out what I think is a case of hypocrisy.

By the way, I agree with you on the tax return. If Trump wants to be our president, he should release his tax return. It's important for the president of our country to be transparent and trustworthy.
Jun 3 2016 10:38am
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jacobnbc/status/738580604736786434
Crickets from the left on this assault of woman by a group of angry adult males.

San Jose mayor said this is Trump's fault.

This post was edited by excellence on Jun 3 2016 10:38am
Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 3 2016 10:46am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jun 3 2016 09:40am)

its not that those are the best strategies, or even that anyone thinks that. He offers little in the way of policy and constantly insults people, its either play his game or just parrot on about policy while he rolls his eyes and makes up nicknames for you. I don't like that strategy but its somewhat logical, you can't beat him by playing square. In fact the only way to beat him is to ignore his presence altogether. Trolls shrivel and die when no one pays attention to them, the thrive in both good and bad attention, both valid and silly critiques.
Jun 3 2016 11:12am
Quote (thesnipa @ 3 Jun 2016 11:46)
its not that those are the best strategies, or even that anyone thinks that. He offers little in the way of policy and constantly insults people, its either play his game or just parrot on about policy while he rolls his eyes and makes up nicknames for you. I don't like that strategy but its somewhat logical, you can't beat him by playing square. In fact the only way to beat him is to ignore his presence altogether. Trolls shrivel and die when no one pays attention to them, the thrive in both good and bad attention, both valid and silly critiques.

Well, one problem is that we have to pay him attention now. He's the GOP's nominee for President. I just think we need to give him the right kind of attention. Unfortunately, the media is obsessed with him in all kinds of screwed up ways. It's depressing.

Between many Democrats somehow defending Hillary Clinton's private email server practices or insisting she somehow did nothing wrong or actually was not dishonest with the American people, or Republican voters choosing a demagogue as their nominee, I don't think I've read about a time in recent American politics as dark and confusing as this one.

Apparently the best America could come up with for president of our country is Donald J Trump and Nixon 2.0. I'll take Nixon 2.0. Nixon was sorrounded in controversy, scandals, and immoral behavior, but he is actually an underrated president in a lot of ways and someone like him would certainly be better than the likes of Trump.
Gold: 9,164.33
Jun 3 2016 11:21am
Quote (excellence @ Jun 3 2016 08:38am)
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jacobnbc/status/738580604736786434
Crickets from the left on this assault of woman by a group of angry adult males.

San Jose mayor said this is Trump's fault.

violent protestors waving the Mexican flag and on many occasions seen burning the American one

smack that MF deport button
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14054064074084093169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll