d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2020 > Trump Vs. Pack O' Dems
Prev1399400401402403983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
May 20 2020 03:02pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ 20 May 2020 23:00)
So an OpEd that says stuff that has no backing in evidence whatsoever is your go-to?

But let's say it's true: Would the State department selling weapons to another nation be a waste, misuse, or fraudulent use of State Department resources? Short answer: No. If the state department profits off the deal, foreign policy is achieved, and if the arms are not being sold to enemies of the United States, there's nothing there. But it's all immaterial. Tweets that attempt to cite OpEds as reliable sources tend to go nowhere. :)

tl;tr:

thisisfine.png
Gold: 6,061.70
May 20 2020 03:07pm
Quote (fender @ May 20 2020 02:02pm)
tl;tr:

thisisfine.png

The US government has sold weapons to foreign governments under nearly every administration that has ever existed. The US is the top arms dealer in the world. Believe it or not, Saudi Arabia is a US ally. The State Department selling them weapons would be nothing new.

So yes, this is fine. :)
May 20 2020 03:13pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ May 20 2020 04:00pm)
So an OpEd that says stuff that has no backing in evidence whatsoever is your go-to?

But let's say it's true: Would the State department selling weapons to another nation be a waste, misuse, or fraudulent use of State Department resources? Short answer: No. If the state department profits off the deal, foreign policy is achieved, and if the arms are not being sold to enemies of the United States, there's nothing there. But it's all immaterial. Tweets that attempt to cite OpEds as reliable sources tend to go nowhere. :)

If the emergency declaration was a sham, and those weapons were diverted to the front line in the war in Yemen, though?

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/saudi-arabia-arms-deal-trump-what-to-know/
May 20 2020 03:32pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ May 20 2020 02:13pm)
If the emergency declaration was a sham, and those weapons were diverted to the front line in the war in Yemen, though?

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/saudi-arabia-arms-deal-trump-what-to-know/

Was fine under Obama, as was providing intelligence to the Saudis and drone bombing Yemen. Why wouldn't it be fine now?

I'm not personally a fan of our interventionist policies in the Middle East. But all said and done, if we're supporting Saudi's efforts in Yemen and against insurgents from Iran then we should support them. If we're not, then we should withdraw our support completely. The IS and Al-Qaeda presence in Yemen is definitely enough of a concern that I'd need a lot more information than I currently have to cast judgement either way.

I mean, if Linik was investigating things related to that arms sale from last year, he really wasn't doing his job. Trump Vetoed the resolutions that could have stopped him, and when it came time to get the supermajority vote that would have forced the issue and taken the decision away from Trump, the vote failed to get that supermajority. So, the deal was legit. Keeping in mind that the IG of a department's job is to locate areas of waste, misuse, or fraud in the department's assets, I'd say that arms deal does not qualify. It occurred by order of the President. There was no underhanded sneakiness involved.

Edit: Lest I be called out as "shilling" here, I'll add: If indeed it turns out that there really was no threat to Saudi from Iran (IS, Al-Qaeda, Kurds, etc.) and the weapons were solely for use in Yemen, I could see that being an issue. But that would be an issue with Trump, as he issued the order. The IG State's job isn't to investigate the President. That'd be the work of Congress.

This post was edited by InsaneBobb on May 20 2020 03:38pm
May 20 2020 03:42pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ May 20 2020 04:32pm)
Was fine under Obama, as was providing intelligence to the Saudis and drone bombing Yemen. Why wouldn't it be fine now?

I'm not personally a fan of our interventionist policies in the Middle East. But all said and done, if we're supporting Saudi's efforts in Yemen and against insurgents from Iran then we should support them. If we're not, then we should withdraw our support completely. The IS and Al-Qaeda presence in Yemen is definitely enough of a concern that I'd need a lot more information than I currently have to cast judgement either way.

I mean, if Linik was investigating things related to that arms sale from last year, he really wasn't doing his job. Trump Vetoed the resolutions that could have stopped him, and when it came time to get the supermajority vote that would have forced the issue and taken the decision away from Trump, the vote failed to get that supermajority. So, the deal was legit. Keeping in mind that the IG of a department's job is to locate areas of waste, misuse, or fraud in the department's assets, I'd say that arms deal does not qualify. It occurred by order of the President. There was no underhanded sneakiness involved.

It wasn't fine under Obama, either. And he was doing his job, as he had been requested to open the investigation by the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. Selling arms to Saudi Arabia is one thing (personally, they shouldn't get one dime's worth of our arms, but that's another discussion). It's the use of a bullshit emergency declaration to skirt Congress' power to vet these sales. The Saudis were under no immediate threat from Iran. Had Trump presented the sale to Congress for review, and it had passed, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Geo-politically speaking, the Saudis may be our allies, but they aren't our friends.
May 20 2020 03:48pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ May 20 2020 02:42pm)
It wasn't fine under Obama, either. And he was doing his job, as he had been requested to open the investigation by the chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee. Selling arms to Saudi Arabia is one thing (personally, they shouldn't get one dime's worth of our arms, but that's another discussion). It's the use of a bullshit emergency declaration to skirt Congress' power to vet these sales. The Saudis were under no immediate threat from Iran. Had Trump presented the sale to Congress for review, and it had passed, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Geo-politically speaking, the Saudis may be our allies, but they aren't our friends.

Once again, that investigation would be for information to use against Trump, not Pompeo. And the same information can be requested of the current IG. The problem is it doesn't really fall into the IG's sphere. That kind of information really requires some subpoena work from the House. The House is responsible for investigating Presidential Misconduct, not department IGs. The only thing the IGs are really supposed to do where presidential misconduct is concerned is turn over related material to the House upon official request.
Gold: 17,384.69
May 20 2020 04:06pm
Do we have a count somewhere of the amount of americans who killed themselves by chloroquine (or why not, bleach) intoxication after listening to their president ?
Gold: 2,617.52
May 20 2020 04:11pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ May 20 2020 06:06pm)
Do we have a count somewhere of the amount of americans who killed themselves by chloroquine (or why not, bleach) intoxication after listening to their president ?

One bitch poisoned her husband with and her alibi was “orange man bad”
May 20 2020 04:13pm
Quote (Saucisson6000 @ May 20 2020 03:06pm)

Zero, last I checked.

There was that woman from Arizona who claimed she and her husband drank fish tank cleaner. Turns out she's under active murder investigation right now, and was a pro-hillary never-trumper who's been having marital issues for quite some time.

If you're talking about people who've died as a result of it's use in hospitals, the numbers are relatively low. Patients with cardiac issues and hypertension can't use it, simple as that. If they do, they may die.
Gold: 10,050.00
May 20 2020 04:56pm
I'm not a fan of Pelosi, but I find it so hilarious that when Pelosi does something that is not very "political", Fox News goes crazy and accuses the democrats of acting like children who are not fit to serve as politicians.

But when Trump acts significantly worse and does crazy **** everyday, Fox News says nothing.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1399400401402403983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll