d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Clinton 2016 > Finally, A Thread For Winners
Prev13940414243183Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,620.00
Jul 21 2016 05:40pm
Quote (Skinned @ 21 Jul 2016 18:25)
People will start to warm up to HRC after she curbstomps Trump in a few debates. He isn't going to be able to do the palsy-twitch and make a bunch of rednecks laugh, this is a national audience and smart people will be watching Donald this time.

But what about after she is potentially elected? New presidents often see an initial bump in their favorability, but she's probably going to be starting from a historically low place for a major party nominee.

Winning the election is one thing, being liked by America is another. I'm convinced Hillary is the strong favorite to win this election (she's facing Donald Trump), but is America going to like her enough to vote for again and if he opponent is more competent?

I'm just pointing out three main things: 1) Her approval and trustworthy ratings are pretty bad, and it's going to take a lot of good work to fix those. 2) Democrats who are further left on the spectrum will probably vote for her but that doesn't necessarily mean she will have a lot of their support, leaving just one group strongly in her corner (moderate Democrats). 3) I think there's a decent chance her presidency could involve some sort of scandal, whether is self-inflicted, baggage from before her presidency, or more or less generated by Republicans.

Oh and 4) Sexism. I think it's easier for Americans to hate on women leaders, and that goes for both parties. I could definitely see Hillary being hurt by her gender. She could do almost all of the same things that Obama does, except when Obama does it, he's an alpha and is confident, and when she does it, she's a bitch.

The question wasn't about whether she'd win this election, it was about her chances of being a two-term president, give she wins that one. My answer is that it is probably lower than most incumbents, but probably still greater than 50%. This is all assuming HRC wins, which I think she probably will. It's also just my guesswork. It mostly depends on how the country does during her 4 years as president. A lot of times, the fate of the economy (most important thing, besides major war) is out of a president's control.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 21 2016 06:01pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 21 2016 05:40pm)
But what about after she is potentially elected? New presidents often see an initial bump in their favorability, but she's probably going to be starting from a historically low place for a major party nominee.

Winning the election is one thing, being liked by America is another. I'm convinced Hillary is the strong favorite to win this election (she's facing Donald Trump), but is America going to like her enough to vote for again and if he opponent is more competent?

I'm just pointing out three main things: 1) Her approval and trustworthy ratings are pretty bad, and it's going to take a lot of good work to fix those. 2) Democrats who are further left on the spectrum will probably vote for her but that doesn't necessarily mean she will have a lot of their support, leaving just one group strongly in her corner (moderate Democrats). 3) I think there's a decent chance her presidency could involve some sort of scandal, whether is self-inflicted, baggage from before her presidency, or more or less generated by Republicans.

Oh and 4) Sexism. I think it's easier for Americans to hate on women leaders, and that goes for both parties. I could definitely see Hillary being hurt by her gender. She could do almost all of the same things that Obama does, except when Obama does it, he's an alpha and is confident, and when she does it, she's a bitch.

The question wasn't about whether she'd win this election, it was about her chances of being a two-term president, give she wins that one. My answer is that it is probably lower than most incumbents, but probably still greater than 50%. This is all assuming HRC wins, which I think she probably will. It's also just my guesswork. It mostly depends on how the country does during her 4 years as president. A lot of times, the fate of the economy (most important thing, besides major war) is out of a president's control.

she just needs to limp in and hold down the fort. Shes not a GOP candidate coming in who threatened to tear it down persay. Look at Obamacare, she was the candidate arguing for it vs Bernie. Shes always been the status quo
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 21 2016 06:48pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 21 2016 07:25pm)
People will start to warm up to HRC after she curbstomps Trump in a few debates. He isn't going to be able to do the palsy-twitch and make a bunch of rednecks laugh, this is a national audience and smart people will be watching Donald this time.

Obama didn't win because of policy mastery, which is the only thing which could give Hillary advantage.

Hillary is going to get publicly disemboweled.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 21 2016 07:04pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jul 21 2016 07:48pm)
Obama didn't win because of policy mastery, which is the only thing which could give Hillary advantage.

And Trump did not win because of his policies either. He won basically by just catering to the lowest common dominator and spouting insults and basically dividing the Republican party apart. They can all get on stage and try to play like this is who they wanted.. it defiantly is not.
For god sakes they tried to change the rules the very first day of the convention.

None of the previous Republican presidents are attending. Some big name Republicans are not attending and some HUGE name donors are not donating. Namely the Koch brothers and Apple.

How can Hillary get publicly disemboweled? All of her dirty laundry is already out there lol.
Gold: 285.00
Jul 21 2016 07:05pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jul 21 2016 07:48pm)

She is a lot smarter than him and it will show in the debates.
Jul 21 2016 07:15pm
Quote (Skinned @ 21 Jul 2016 20:05)
She is a lot smarter than him and it will show in the debates.

She might be smarter, but he's quicker. I was amazed how quick he was with a joke or a diss during debates. He is a skilled debater in his own right and a true showman.

Don't underestimate the Donald on the debate stage...if things get nasty or personal, he's going to come out on top.

That's why Hillary has to keep this election and those debates policy-centered. That's where she will thrive. And I think she will do a good job of that.

She's more outwardly cerebral, sure, but Donald Trump is a wild card. I could see him totally flopping or thriving on the debate stage against her. He's more likely to have the line or quote of the night - whether it's good or bad.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jul 21 2016 07:19pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 21 2016 08:15pm)
She might be smarter, but he's quicker. I was amazed how quick he was with a joke or a diss during debates. He is a skilled debater in his own right and a true showman.

Don't underestimate the Donald on the debate stage...if things get nasty or personal, he's going to come out on top.

That's why Hillary has to keep this election and those debates policy-centered. That's where she will thrive. And I think she will do a good job of that.

She's more outwardly cerebral, sure, but Donald Trump is a wild card. I could see him totally flopping or thriving on the debate stage against her. He's more likely to have the line or quote of the night - whether it's good or bad.

That worked in Republican primary debates against other men, but he's now got the whole nation watching and he'll be going back and forth with a woman. It's different.
Jul 21 2016 07:28pm
Quote (IceMage @ 21 Jul 2016 20:19)
That worked in Republican primary debates against other men, but he's now got the whole nation watching and he'll be going back and forth with a woman. It's different.

I agree that's it's not the same. The general election debates will be different.

My point is to not underestimate Trump on the debate stage. I think he's proved that he is a very skilled and quick-witted debater.

I keep seeing people say Trump is going to sweep the floor with Hillary in debates, or Hillary is going to annihilate Trump in the debates...and I'm not exactly sure either of those things are true. I don't think we know what will happen just yet.

Both candidates will have their strengths and weaknesses on the debate stage: Hillary will do better if the discussion is more policy-centered, and Trump will do better if the discussion becomes more personal or cultural. Whichever candidate can steer the tone and setting of the debates toward their skillset will likely do better. Hillary will be more scripted, and Trump will be more off-the-cuff so he's more of a wildcard. I think he could produce an epic fail or an amazing and debate-defining zinger.
Gold: 0.00
Jul 21 2016 08:09pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 21 2016 08:28pm)
I agree that's it's not the same. The general election debates will be different.

My point is to not underestimate Trump on the debate stage. I think he's proved that he is a very skilled and quick-witted debater.

I keep seeing people say Trump is going to sweep the floor with Hillary in debates, or Hillary is going to annihilate Trump in the debates...and I'm not exactly sure either of those things are true. I don't think we know what will happen just yet.

Both candidates will have their strengths and weaknesses on the debate stage: Hillary will do better if the discussion is more policy-centered, and Trump will do better if the discussion becomes more personal or cultural. Whichever candidate can steer the tone and setting of the debates toward their skillset will likely do better. Hillary will be more scripted, and Trump will be more off-the-cuff so he's more of a wildcard. I think he could produce an epic fail or an amazing and debate-defining zinger.

Hillary is twice the debater Trump is. He got off easy in the primaries. He just threw out insults and never really talked about what his plans were except Make America Great Again. I hate to say it because I did not wanna vote for Hillary. But imo she will use everything he did to get the nominee against him. That is a lot of shit.
Also her dirty laundry has already been made public so its not like he has a trump card up his sleeve that no one knows about.
Gold: 57.00
Jul 22 2016 09:25am
#TrumpYourself: Democratic Presidential Candidate Hillary Clinton Launches 'Trump Yourself' Website
On Thursday, Clinton released a website where Facebook users can upload a photo and have a quote from Republican nominee Donald Trump superimposed onto it.
what a contribution, create a website that plays on people's self-loathing and self-hatred :lol:
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13940414243183Next
Closed New Topic New Poll