d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > How To Get To Heaven When You Die
Prev13456779Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 186.16
Mar 10 2012 08:09pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 02:06am)
Again, you're refuting the bible with the bible.  My point was that repentance was not mentioned in Romans or the verses you just posted, yet we know it is essential for salvation because the bible speaks of it in OTHER places.  Also, BELIEF is not repentance.  The demons believed in Jesus.. were they saved?  You seem to be adding a lot to the bible that isn't there..

I'm giving you context. You seem to want to pick and choose which verses that you want to believe and which ones you don't here. Yes turning from your unbelief in Christ to a belief in Christ IS repentance. I agree that the demons believe that Jesus existed. The belief that is being referred to in scripture is a placing of their faith in Christ for salvation, NOT a placing of your faith in water baptism for salvation.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 10 2012 08:10pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 10:06pm)
Notice what was said to the eunuch.  He is told that he must BELIEVE with all of his heart. After he confessed Christ and His belief, he was baptized. 

Ac 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

Yep again repentance is not mentioned there.. but baptism is. Weird how we think repentance is a prerequisite to salvation..

Also, belief ALONE is not salvation. You are worsening your argument by thinking it is. Belief is also not repentance. Again, the DEMONS believed Jesus was the son of God.. were they saved?

Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 10:09pm)
I'm giving you context.  You seem to want to pick and choose which verses that you want to believe and which ones you don't here. Yes turning from your unbelief in Christ to a belief in Christ IS repentance.  I agree that the demons believe that Jesus existed.  The belief that is being referred to in scripture is a placing of their faith in Christ for salvation, NOT a placing of your faith in water baptism for salvation.

I am? LOL. I am keeping the bible in it's ENTIRETY and you are saying "Nope nope.. baptism isn't mentioned in this specific verse so it doesn't matter".. yet baptism is mentioned several other places. Excuse me for reading the entire New Testament and not just the pieces I enjoy most. Also.. did it say "when you believe you must place your faith in..." blah blah.. NO it doesn't. You are adding your own opinion to the scriptures that isn't there. BELIEF alone is not salvation, that's why there other other areas that list what it takes to be saved. Repentance, Confession, Baptism, Belief. They are all coupled together and cannot stand alone as you are trying to do.

This post was edited by Dune1 on Mar 10 2012 08:14pm
Gold: 152.00
Mar 10 2012 08:12pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 10 2012 09:10pm)
Yep again repentance is not mentioned there.. but baptism is.  Weird how we think repentance is a prerequisite to salvation..

Also, belief ALONE is not salvation.  You are worsening your argument by thinking it is.  Belief is also not repentance.  Again, the DEMONS believed Jesus was the son of God.. were they saved?

From a Christian viewpoint, xfrodobagginsx is correct, Faith in Jesus as the Son of God is the only requirement for salvation.
Gold: 1,551.00
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124494788

Violence in the Quran, he and others say, is largely a defense against attack.

"By the standards of the time, which is the 7th century A.D., the laws of war that are laid down by the Quran are actually reasonably humane," he says. "Then we turn to the Bible, and we actually find something that is for many people a real surprise. There is a specific kind of warfare laid down in the Bible which we can only call genocide."

It is called herem, and it means total annihilation. Consider the Book of 1 Samuel, when God instructs King Saul to attack the Amalekites: "And utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them," God says through the prophet Samuel. "But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."

When Saul failed to do that, God took away his kingdom.

"In other words," Jenkins says, "Saul has committed a dreadful sin by failing to complete genocide. And that passage echoes through Christian history. It is often used, for example, in American stories of the confrontation with Indians — not just is it legitimate to kill Indians, but you are violating God's law if you do not."

Jenkins notes that the history of Christianity is strewn with herem. During the Crusades in the Middle Ages, the Catholic popes declared the Muslims Amalekites. In the great religious wars in the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries, Protestants and Catholics each believed the other side were the Amalekites and should be utterly destroyed.

'Holy Amnesia'

But Jenkins says, even though the Bible is violent, Christianity and Judaism today are not for the most part.

"What happens in all religions as they grow and mature and expand, they go through a process of forgetting of the original violence, and I call this a process of holy amnesia," Jenkins says.

Check mate baggins

This post was edited by TradeBot on Mar 10 2012 08:13pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 02:10am)
Yep again repentance is not mentioned there.. but baptism is.  Weird how we think repentance is a prerequisite to salvation..

Also, belief ALONE is not salvation.  You are worsening your argument by thinking it is.  Belief is also not repentance.  Again, the DEMONS believed Jesus was the son of God.. were they saved?

Yes repentance is mentioned here. He confessed Jesus as the Son of God for salvation. The very word tranlated "Believe" means to place your faith in. The faith is in Christ for salvation, not in the water. Did the theif on the cross go to heaven? Was he baptized? What saved him?

4100. pisteuw pisteuo, pist-yoo'-o
Search for 4100 in KJV

from 4102; to have faith (in, upon, or with respect to, a person or thing), i.e. credit; by implication, to entrust (especially one's spiritual well-being to Christ):--believe(-r), commit (to trust), put in trust with.

This post was edited by xfrodobagginsx on Mar 10 2012 08:15pm
Gold: 1,551.00
Mar 10 2012 08:14pm

This post was edited by TradeBot on Mar 10 2012 08:18pm
Gold: 13,405.43
Mar 10 2012 08:15pm
Already accepted.
Mar 10 2012 08:16pm
Quote (TradeBot @ Mar 11 2012 02:12am)

We are not under the law. We are under grace. Check mate tradebot. Ro 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

This post was edited by xfrodobagginsx on Mar 10 2012 08:17pm
Retired Moderator
Gold: 0.00
Trader: Trusted
Mar 10 2012 08:17pm
Quote (xfrodobagginsx @ Mar 10 2012 10:12pm)
Yes repentance is mentioned here.  He confessed Jesus as the Son of God for salvation.  The faith is in Christ for salvation, not in the water.  Did the theif on the cross go to heaven?  Was he baptized?  What saved him?

JESUS'S OWN WORDS SAVED HIM. I put that one in caps so you can see it. (since I mentioned it before)

Baptism was not needed before Jesus because Jesus had the power to save people by his words alone.

I am not denying at all that Jesus is the ONLY way to get to heaven. I am saying based on scripture.. simply saying "I believe in Jesus" is not enough to be saved. It requires Belief, repentance, confession, and baptism. All are mentioned in the bible for either salvation, forgiveness, or the Holy Spirit. They cannot be separated.
Mar 10 2012 08:21pm
Quote (Dune1 @ Mar 11 2012 02:17am)
JESUS'S OWN WORDS SAVED HIM.  I put that one in caps so you can see it.  (since I mentioned it before)

Baptism was not needed before Jesus because Jesus had the power to save people by his words alone.

I am not denying at all that Jesus is the ONLY way to get to heaven.  I am saying based on scripture.. simply saying "I believe in Jesus" is not enough to be saved.  It requires Belief, repentance, confession, and baptism.  All are mentioned in the bible for either salvation, forgiveness, or the Holy Spirit.  They cannot be separated.

It's not baptism that saves. It's believing the gospel of Jesus Christ. That's what the bible says repeatedly, but you wish to cherry pick a few verses that have been poorly translated into english and twist them to fit your theology. You have to take all of them and make them fit. 95% of the verses that tell people how to be saved tell us to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. The word translated Believe means "to place your faith in" or "to rely upon" The demons believe the Jesus exists, but they don't place their faith in Him for salvation. The bible says that it is enough to be saved to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, so you are contradicting the bible. Baptism comes after the faith because baptism is not faith or salvation, otherwise, it would be mentioned when the bible lays out how to be saved.

What is the gospel? Do you know?

This post was edited by xfrodobagginsx on Mar 10 2012 08:26pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456779Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll