d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Our Current Prison System
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 14,488.00
Mar 11 2010 01:07pm
Quote (datajunky @ Mar 11 2010 01:59pm)
He's making a very valid point, and you are not.
I agree with you that AIG executives are criminals, but wouldn't it be much more satisfying watching them break their fucking backs on a daily basis through hard labor, instead of just terminating their life as worthless?

Why yes I would. Although their high priced lawyers will never let this happen.

Btw, I added this group to the worthless trash pile to be politically correct.

Quote (SpecialFX @ Mar 11 2010 02:06pm)
That still doesn't change how hypocritical your suggestions were. And that is what I was addressing.

Yes I'm a hypoocrit because I like to see bad things happen to bad people. While at the same time your naive because you appear to observe with your eyes closed.

Quote (datajunky @ Mar 11 2010 02:06pm)
Discussion is pretty powerful.
The pen is far mightier than the sword.

The thing your forgetting is that the sword maintains control over what the pen writes.

This post was edited by VileDoom on Mar 11 2010 01:21pm
Gold: 82.00
Mar 11 2010 01:29pm
Quote (VileDoom @ Mar 11 2010 11:07am)

Yes I'm a hypoocrit because I like to see bad things happen to bad people. While at the same time your naive because you appear to observe with your eyes closed.

The thing your forgetting is that the sword maintains control over what the pen writes.

I am naive? I beg to differ.

You seem to believe that the only type of justice is retributive..
You are the one that needs to open your eyes. How well is our current system doing?

"US imprisonment rates are much higher than the rest of the world, and within the US, African Americans are imprisoned at least eight times as often as European Americans, while American Indians and Hispanics are imprisoned at two to three times the European American rate."
This type of bullshit creates an endless cycle of criminals.

You can continue to call me naive all you want. I would rather be naive than a blatant hypocrite.
Gold: 1,149.93
Mar 11 2010 01:38pm
Quote (VileDoom @ Mar 11 2010 02:07pm)

Well, the high priced lawyers are working within the system that is corrupted by the same motivating factor that created the AIG executives criminal charges (Money) so, what are we supposed to do in a society where justice is served best to those who can afford it?

Perhaps the main focus of our discussion should be with the monetary incentives for criminals, lawyers, and free people that are affected by it? After all, is it justified to get better representation based on your bank account? Why should one victim fail in the system simply because he is not as wealthy as the perpetrator that committed a crime and made the victim what he is?

Justice is not just when it is offered as a service that is better or worse depending not on the crime committed, but on the amount you can pay.

@Bolded: Touche.

This post was edited by datajunky on Mar 11 2010 01:39pm
Mar 11 2010 03:11pm
Quote (SpecialFX @ Mar 11 2010 02:29pm)
I am naive? I beg to differ.

You seem to believe that the only type of justice is retributive..

Birthday: Oct 29 1989 (Male) You seem to know allot for only being 21 years old. I speculate you still eat off your parent’s dinner table? Maybe my views were similar at your age but with a few more years of life experience and observation my views have changed about a great many things in life.

You are the one that needs to open your eyes. How well is our current system doing?

I think we have both already agreed it's not working worth a damn.

"US imprisonment rates are much higher than the rest of the world, and within the US, African Americans are imprisoned at least eight times as often as European Americans, while American Indians and Hispanics are imprisoned at two to three times the European American rate."
This type of bullshit creates an endless cycle of criminals.

Criminals were created before going to jail. The biggest problem today is the lack of accountability for committing crimes.

You can continue to call me naive all you want. I would rather be naive than a blatant hypocrite.

Since I am a hypocrite let me ask you this. Let's say you were kidnapped and held captive in someone basement for 1 year. You managed to escape, contact authorities and have the kidnapper arrested. Would the prosecutors and judges too be hypocrites because they wanted to lock this person away in jail?

Quote (datajunky @ Mar 11 2010 02:38pm)
Well, the high priced lawyers are working within the system that is corrupted by the same motivating factor that created the AIG executives criminal charges (Money) so, what are we supposed to do in a society where justice is served best to those who can afford it?

Perhaps the main focus of our discussion should be with the monetary incentives for criminals, lawyers, and free people that are affected by it? After all, is it justified to get better representation based on your bank account? Why should one victim fail in the system simply because he is not as wealthy as the perpetrator that committed a crime and made the victim what he is?

Justice is not just when it is offered as a service that is better or worse depending not on the crime committed, but on the amount you can pay.

OJ Simpson who? I'm sure you can name off countless others. I do however agree with you but I think this is a whole new topic in itself?

@Bolded: Touche.

;)

Mar 11 2010 04:50pm
Quote (VileDoom @ Mar 11 2010 01:11pm)
Birthday: Oct 29 1989 (Male) You seem to know allot for only being 21 years old. I speculate you still eat off your parent’s dinner table? Maybe my views were similar at your age but with a few more years of life experience and observation my views have changed about a great many things in life.

I think we have both already agreed it's not working worth a damn.

Criminals were created before going to jail. The biggest problem today is the lack of accountability for committing crimes.

Since I am a hypocrite let me ask you this. Let's say you were kidnapped and held captive in someone basement for 1 year. You managed to escape, contact authorities and have the kidnapper arrested. Would the prosecutors and judges too be hypocrites because they wanted to lock this person away in jail?

OJ Simpson who? I'm sure you can name off countless others. I do however agree with you but I think this is a whole new topic in itself?

;)

First off, the age argument is a fallacy. GJ with that.
Second: At least we agree the current system sucks.

As to your hypothetical: I don't argue that people should not be held accountable. I am arguing that "killing off" the people is not the right answer.
Mar 11 2010 06:34pm
Quote (SpecialFX @ Mar 11 2010 05:50pm)
First off, the age argument is a fallacy. GJ with that.

Was not directed as an argument... Simply said I have my opinion on the situation based on my life experiences and you have your opinions based on yours. You’re not going to change my beliefs here no more then I am going to change yours. GJ with your lack of articulation determining that.

Mar 11 2010 06:53pm
Quote (VileDoom @ Mar 11 2010 04:34pm)
Was not directed as an argument... Simply said I have my opinion on the situation based on my life experiences and you have your opinions based on yours. You’re not going to change my beliefs here no more then I am going to change yours. GJ with your lack of articulation determining that.

I took the age argument to be part of your argument for several reasons. The most prominent being the fact that everyone who CAN use it, usually does in an argument (at least from my experience). Even on these forums I have witnessed it many times. The most memorable incident being when I was arguing with widowmaker a few weeks ago. As for changing your beliefs, I don't think I ever believed I could pull that off. Nobody on these forums is willing to budge in their beliefs (and that includes me). I merely wanted to point out how hypocritical it is to both find murder (and other such acts) despicable, yet advocate putting criminals to death. Some people are fine with such hypocrisy, and so be it. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Gold: 14,140.00
Mar 12 2010 03:18am
Quote (SpecialFX @ Mar 10 2010 12:38pm)
I think it is a failure.

What would you do to change it?

decriminalize marijuana
Gold: 1,149.93
Mar 12 2010 03:31am
Quote (CrUeLSS @ Mar 12 2010 04:18am)
decriminalize marijuana

100%
Gold: 40.42
Mar 12 2010 09:01am
Decriminalization is just the tip of the iceberg.

I think that the rehabilitation thing is a huge step forward. We also need to be more strict as far as locking down on illegal activities in prison - getting raped daily is going to do nothing to make someone a productive member of society and will simply leave them scarred, broken and traumatized.

Hire armies of counselors for prisoners to speak with and really learn how to get their heads into a better space, see how their actions were wrong, and work toward a healthy manner of self-expression. Combined with job training so that they can walk out and right into the beginnings of a career, that should slash the recidivism rate significantly.

But yeah - reforming the laws so that it's only the real criminals rather than a dude who happened to have an ounce of weed on him would probably be pretty cool too. Bring the laws against crack down to the same level as laws against Cocaine, and generally clean up drug laws and other victimless crimes.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev134567Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll