d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Turkish President Erdogan Re-elected
Prev13456712Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 100,701.50
May 29 2023 01:06pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 29 2023 09:02pm)
You specifically said

Conclusion: NATO / EU don't like Erdogan because he's not "progressive" enough but they need him, simple as that

NATO and EU leaders don't like him because he's consolidating power and destabilizing the region, not because he's "not progressive enough".

It's right there dude.

Bolded is true

NATO alliance dropping that shit when international matters land on the table is also true
May 29 2023 01:11pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 29 2023 09:02pm)
You specifically said

NATO and EU leaders don't like him because he's consolidating power and destabilizing the region, not because he's "not progressive enough".

It's right there dude.

How is Turkey destabilizing the region? In fact they're a stabilizing factor. Just a few things to consider:

- They fight against terrorist organizations in the region
- Shelter millions of Syrian refugees
- Block EU migration

It's things like Turkey being very tough on anti government journalists that the "progressives" dont like and you can hardly call that a destabilizing factor in the region...

This post was edited by Djunior on May 29 2023 01:13pm
Gold: 260.11
May 29 2023 01:27pm
Quote (Djunior @ May 29 2023 02:11pm)
How is Turkey destabilizing the region? In fact they're a stabilizing factor. Just a few things to consider:

- They fight against terrorist organizations in the region
- Shelter millions of Syrian refugees
- Block EU migration

It's things like Turkey being very tough on anti government journalists that the "progressives" dont like and you can hardly call that a destabilizing factor in the region...

A basic google search on the state of their economy and the state of our Kurdish allies in relation to Turkey will tell you how they are a destabilizing influence. There's a LOT more, but those are big ones.

This is what I mean when I say you don't know anything about Turkey except what you learned recently from the trigger the libs media. If you were even kind of familiar with the situation you would know the concerns NATO and the EU have with Turkey and why they would criticize Erdogan for doing those things, and that they have nothing to do with being progressive.

Quote (Djunior @ May 29 2023 02:11pm)

What you just described is corruption and censorship. Yes, "progressives" don't like corruption and censorship, and those are destabilizing actions.

There's some overlap between what NATO leaders are concerned about, and what the MSM is concerned about, but the stuff the NATO leadership is concerned about is destabilizing the region. Turkey is a key player in keeping the region from falling apart, so Erdogan making Turkey less able to do that is a concern.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on May 29 2023 01:31pm
Gold: 21.93
May 29 2023 01:53pm
As an Aussie with Turkish family I feel for the people stuck under this corrupt trash but just as an aussie, we all hate Turkey and I can live with the consequences of their voting.
May 29 2023 01:57pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 29 2023 09:27pm)
A basic google search on the state of their economy and the state of our Kurdish allies in relation to Turkey will tell you how they are a destabilizing influence. There's a LOT more, but those are big ones.

This is what I mean when I say you don't know anything about Turkey except what you learned recently from the trigger the libs media. If you were even kind of familiar with the situation you would know the concerns NATO and the EU have with Turkey and why they would criticize Erdogan for doing those things, and that they have nothing to do with being progressive.

What you just described is corruption and censorship. Yes, "progressives" don't like corruption and censorship, and those are destabilizing actions.

There's some overlap between what NATO leaders are concerned about, and what the MSM is concerned about, but the stuff the NATO leadership is concerned about is destabilizing the region. Turkey is a key player in keeping the region from falling apart, so Erdogan making Turkey less able to do that is a concern.

Have you heard of Kurdish PKK and terrorist attacks in Turkey? Would the US allow a terrorist organization in the US and let them blow stuff up?

And cracking down on anti government press doesn't mean "destabilizing the region" which is what you claimed.

May 29 2023 01:58pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ May 29 2023 09:53pm)
As an Aussie with Turkish family I feel for the people stuck under this corrupt trash but just as an aussie, we all hate Turkey and I can live with the consequences of their voting.

WW1 still haunting you? Sad
Gold: 260.11
May 29 2023 02:38pm
Quote (Djunior @ May 29 2023 02:57pm)
Have you heard of Kurdish PKK and terrorist attacks in Turkey? Would the US allow a terrorist organization in the US and let them blow stuff up?

And cracking down on anti government press doesn't mean "destabilizing the region" which is what you claimed.

Cracking down on press is part of consolidating power which absolutely does make the country less stable :huh: The

Your comments on the Kurds shows you don't know who or what they are.

Thanks for reinforcing my assessment. You don't know the first thing about Turkey and just want to say "hurr durr look at the mad liberals hurr durr"
Gold: 21.93
May 29 2023 08:36pm
Quote (Djunior @ May 30 2023 05:58am)
WW1 still haunting you? Sad

I am named for a man who died over there.
Gold: 12,845.00
May 29 2023 08:50pm
Erdogan is not preferred by the west for a few reasons really. For one, their ties to Russia. Few years back Erdogan and the Turks signed contracts to buy S-400. This was a big blow to US influence in Turkey considering all of the threats we lobbed at them if they did so. More recently, they are a huge hub for Russian sanction circumvention. Everything from energy to flights and many other things. They really positioned themselves as neutral as much as a country can be considering the proximity to Russia/Ukraine and the fact that they are part of NATO really bother the US. It's something we don't like as obviously everyone around the globe has to commit seppuku and make sure Russia is suffering, no matter the cost to internal economics.

There's other good reasons, Erdogan has been clearly trying to position Turkey as a regional power broker. Syria, Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict, etc. Sometimes their goals don't align with US policy ones, prime example being the Kurds.

I think someone like Erdogan is less likely to be controlled and is probably more illiberal and hawkish. IMO don't have enough knowledge of their internal dynamics to say this is good or bad for Turkey but the way Lira futures are reacting, financial markets are certainly not happy with this outcome.
May 30 2023 08:23am
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ May 29 2023 10:38pm)
Cracking down on press is part of consolidating power which absolutely does make the country less stable :huh: The

Your comments on the Kurds shows you don't know who or what they are.

Thanks for reinforcing my assessment. You don't know the first thing about Turkey and just want to say "hurr durr look at the mad liberals hurr durr"

PKK has a history of terror attacks in Turkey --> facts

Your flat out denial shows you don't have a clue

Quote (Plaguefear @ May 30 2023 04:36am)
I am named for a man who died over there.

Imagine everyone in Europe still hating Germany or everyone in Asia still hating the Japanese. You got issues dude

Quote (ofthevoid @ May 30 2023 04:50am)
Erdogan is not preferred by the west for a few reasons really. For one, their ties to Russia. Few years back Erdogan and the Turks signed contracts to buy S-400. This was a big blow to US influence in Turkey considering all of the threats we lobbed at them if they did so. More recently, they are a huge hub for Russian sanction circumvention. Everything from energy to flights and many other things. They really positioned themselves as neutral as much as a country can be considering the proximity to Russia/Ukraine and the fact that they are part of NATO really bother the US. It's something we don't like as obviously everyone around the globe has to commit seppuku and make sure Russia is suffering, no matter the cost to internal economics.

There's other good reasons, Erdogan has been clearly trying to position Turkey as a regional power broker. Syria, Armenia-Azerbaijan conflict, etc. Sometimes their goals don't align with US policy ones, prime example being the Kurds.

I think someone like Erdogan is less likely to be controlled and is probably more illiberal and hawkish. IMO don't have enough knowledge of their internal dynamics to say this is good or bad for Turkey but the way Lira futures are reacting, financial markets are certainly not happy with this outcome.

Bolded: That's exactly what I said, Erdogan is that guy to stand up and say F you when leaders shit on him. Those "progressives" would love to but they realize they badly need Turkey on their side.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456712Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll