d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread
Prev1391039113912391339145001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 25 2020 09:58pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 25 2020 08:29pm)
She's just speaking out loud what everyone knows: Biden wont be the true boss, he will only be the figurehead, the puppet whose strings are pulled by AOC/Bernie/Harris/the donor class.

I think this is fanciful thinking. The 3 people you mentioned have almost no political power. Harris is a puppet FFS.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 25 2020 10:15pm
Quote (thundercock @ 26 Jul 2020 05:58)
I think this is fanciful thinking. The 3 people you mentioned have almost no political power. Harris is a puppet FFS.

Of course she is, but she will be an unusually powerful VP and the heir apparent for the leadership of the party.
Jul 25 2020 10:24pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 25 2020 09:15pm)
Of course she is, but she will be an unusually powerful VP and the heir apparent for the leadership of the party.

I'd be very surprised if she's VP. I don't think she brings anything to the table and she actively harms the ticket.

The question you need to ask yourself is the following: Is Biden weak/lacks trust in a key demographic? I don't think he is. IMO, he's going to choose someone who isn't going to fuck things up, is capable of running the country, and does no harm to the ticket. Harris doesn't fit that IMO.

Jul 25 2020 11:01pm
Quote (thundercock @ 26 Jul 2020 06:24)
I'd be very surprised if she's VP. I don't think she brings anything to the table and she actively harms the ticket.

The question you need to ask yourself is the following: Is Biden weak/lacks trust in a key demographic? I don't think he is. IMO, he's going to choose someone who isn't going to fuck things up, is capable of running the country, and does no harm to the ticket. Harris doesn't fit that IMO.

I agree, but then again - he needs a woman, he de facto needs a black woman. He needs a black woman who isnt far-left, and sufficiently vetted to make sure she doesnt have surprising skeletons in the closet. And since Biden is geriatric and of questionable health, there is very high emphasis on his pick being able to take over on day one. It is also obvious that his VP would either succeed him in office directly, or be in the pole position to be his successor as the presidential nominee and leader of the party. All those things mean that his pick really must have high level experience with federal politics, he cant just pick some complete rando. Some House backbencher won't cut it. There are no black female governors. Hence, the only options left are senators or big city mayors.

Harris ticks every single one of these boxes, while I dont see anyone else who does. Now, would Harris really be that much more unlikable than for example Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms to offset all these advantages? I doubt it.
The only alternative I see would be Michelle Obama, but I doubt she's interested.

Jul 25 2020 11:43pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 25 2020 10:01pm)
I agree, but then again - he needs a woman, he de facto needs a black woman. He needs a black woman who isnt far-left, and sufficiently vetted to make sure she doesnt have surprising skeletons in the closet. And since Biden is geriatric and of questionable health, there is very high emphasis on his pick being able to take over on day one. It is also obvious that his VP would either succeed him in office directly, or be in the pole position to be his successor as the presidential nominee and leader of the party. All those things mean that his pick really must have high level experience with federal politics, he cant just pick some complete rando. Some House backbencher won't cut it. There are no black female governors. Hence, the only options left are senators or big city mayors.

Harris ticks every single one of these boxes, while I dont see anyone else who does. Now, would Harris really be that much more unlikable than for example Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms to offset all these advantages? I doubt it.
The only alternative I see would be Michelle Obama, but I doubt she's interested.

1. I'm not convinced that Biden needs a black woman (or even woman of color). There's a fine line between tokenism and recognizing the merits of a POC and giving them the spotlight. Biden could pick Warren or Duckworth and that'd be fine from a demographics standpoint. I was all in on Klobuchar being VP until the Floyd killing took place. Since then, my dark horse pick is Duckworth. Don't sleep on Rhode Island's governor either.
2. I think you're forgetting Susan Rice who is much more qualified than Harris (the most qualified IMO). In addition, I would say that Karen Bass (my Congressman) has more federal experience than Harris. I don't think Harris has any leadership positions whereas Bass is the chair of a couple subcommittees and is also the chair of the CBC. I agree that Reps who haven't been in office for over 8ish years are probably not going to get the job.
Gold: 10,485.00
Jul 26 2020 12:07am

Jul 26 2020 01:29am
Quote (thundercock @ 26 Jul 2020 07:43)
1. I'm not convinced that Biden needs a black woman (or even woman of color). There's a fine line between tokenism and recognizing the merits of a POC and giving them the spotlight. Biden could pick Warren or Duckworth and that'd be fine from a demographics standpoint. I was all in on Klobuchar being VP until the Floyd killing took place. Since then, my dark horse pick is Duckworth. Don't sleep on Rhode Island's governor either.
2. I think you're forgetting Susan Rice who is much more qualified than Harris (the most qualified IMO). In addition, I would say that Karen Bass (my Congressman) has more federal experience than Harris. I don't think Harris has any leadership positions whereas Bass is the chair of a couple subcommittees and is also the chair of the CBC. I agree that Reps who haven't been in office for over 8ish years are probably not going to get the job.

I think Biden not nominating a woman of color in this particular moment in time would really sour a certain segment of the Democratic coalition on him. This runs the risk of depressed turnout. He could bet on hatred for Trump carrying Democratic turnout even among Bernie bros, progressives and far-left "woke" activists, but it's still a risk. One that I would consider larger than just nominating the best woman of color he can find.

Duckworth doesnt strike me as the brightest candle on the cake to be honest, I think she'd be way out of her depth as president. RI governor Gina Raimondo might be an interesting pick, and the name alone might be enough to satisfy the demand for ethnic diversity (although she's of Italian descent, not hispanic).

Susan Rice seems very qualified, but also with a very strong career focus on foreign policy. She seems more likely as his SoS pick than the VP. I had never heard of Karen Bass before, but yes, she seems to tick most of the boxes and might be a more safe pick than Harris.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 26 2020 01:29am
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 26 2020 07:01am
Gold: 57.00
Jul 26 2020 07:03am
Quote (thundercock @ 26 Jul 2020 00:24)

lol, that is the dnc playbook with every vp nod other than ironically Biden since 2000:

00 - Lieberman didnt even help win his home state. FLA would have never mattered then
04 - Edwards lol out-of-touch $400 haircut boy
16 - Kaine useless privileged lefty, got torched by Pence in debates

This post was edited by excellence on Jul 26 2020 07:05am
Gold: 107.77
Jul 26 2020 11:48am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1391039113912391339145001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll