d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread
Prev1387138723873387438755001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 9 2020 02:20pm
Quote (excellence @ Jul 9 2020 02:56pm)
no it was ‘russias’ fault lmfao!!!

russia created the EC i bet huhu

Imagine you're on american idol and there's 5 judges, you get 2 judges who want to send you to hollywood and they're LOUD about it, 3 vote no. and you whine because u dont get a golden ticket.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 9 2020 03:03pm
Quote (fender @ 9 Jul 2020 22:05)
or, you know, when they win despite getting almost three million(!) fewer votes than their opponent?

but let's say your idiotic little spin was actually correct, and there is NO advantage for republicans in the EC - it's still a shitty and inherently undemocratic system, and should be abolished. no matter who it actually favours.

On the previous side, I already gave an example from Canada where it was the conservatives who won the popular vote while losing the election. Strange how that case never gets criticized by liberals. Also strange how conservatives are not nearly complaing as much about it as liberals are complaining about 2016.

And like I already pointed out, the states in which Trump received a majority do represent a majority of the US population.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 9 2020 03:04pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Jul 9 2020 03:21pm

Gold: 22,164.69
Jul 9 2020 03:26pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jul 9 2020 04:21pm)

particular kek
Gold: 14,569.69
Jul 9 2020 04:59pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 9 2020 02:03pm)
On the previous side, I already gave an example from Canada where it was the conservatives who won the popular vote while losing the election. Strange how that case never gets criticized by liberals. Also strange how conservatives are not nearly complaing as much about it as liberals are complaining about 2016.

And like I already pointed out, the states in which Trump received a majority do represent a majority of the US population.

i think gerrymandering on both sides of the isle is dumb and should go away.
EC meh I could be convinced either way.
Together they are a bad marriage.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jul 9 2020 06:25pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 9 Jul 2020 23:03)

already back from hiding after you tried to downplay your cult leader's failings in the covid crisis and making your usual racist assumptions about africans?

but yeah, a real mystery, especially since canadian politics is usually the main focus of this forum, right? too bad you haven't gotten the latest talking points yet: the EC doesn't actually favour republicans anyway, so it is by definition a principled position when dems complain about it. it's a shitty system no matter who it actually benefits. and no matter how desperately you're trying to re-frame it, which mental hoops you have to jump through in order to tell yourself he really deserves it, but the simple FACT is that trump got almost three million(!) fewer votes than arguably the worst candidate dems ever nominated.
Jul 9 2020 10:03pm
Quote (fender @ 10 Jul 2020 02:25)
already back from hiding after you tried to downplay your cult leader's failings in the covid crisis and making your usual racist assumptions about africans?

I'm sorry that I, unlike you apparently, have a real life, with a job and social contacts and such. Some day, you should try it out too.

but yeah, a real mystery, especially since canadian politics is usually the main focus of this forum, right? too bad you haven't gotten the latest talking points yet: the EC doesn't actually favour republicans anyway, so it is by definition a principled position when dems complain about it. it's a shitty system no matter who it actually benefits. and no matter how desperately you're trying to re-frame it, which mental hoops you have to jump through in order to tell yourself he really deserves it, but the simple FACT is that trump got almost three million(!) fewer votes than arguably the worst candidate dems ever nominated.

It's not a shitty system, it's a different system from proportional representation. Both systems have their advantages and drawbacks. A typical disadvantage of proportional representation is that the people lack the power to vote an unpopular leader out of office, even if he/she stands at 30 or even less percent of the popular vote.

To make it short and sum up the bottom line: proportional representation tends to be the superior system in relatively small, geographically and ideologically homogeneous countries, like e.g. most European ones. But in a huge, diverse country like the United States, Canada, Russia or India, first past the post tends to do better because it guarantees that all relevant groups of interest and all regions of the country retain representation and actual political power.

Without the electoral college (and the Senate), American politics would be totally dominated by the big cities, all the campaigns would focus on these places, and all of rural America would be stripped of its influence. The electoral college rewards a geographically diverse support over lopsided margins in a few strongholds.

Another factor to keep in mind is that the big population centers, which in the U.S. happen to be Democratic strongholds, are the media hubs and therefore have a disproportionately large influence on the nation's public discourse which goes far beyond their population share. New York, Washington, Chicago, LA and the Bay Area are the political and ideological pace makers of the country anyway, even if they all lie in deep blue vote sink states.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 9 2020 10:05pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 9 2020 10:05pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 9 2020 05:03pm)

Liberals a huge fags
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jul 10 2020 07:00am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 10 Jul 2020 06:03)
I'm sorry that I, unlike you apparently, have a real life, with a job and social contacts and such. Some day, you should try it out too.

It's not a shitty system, it's a different system from proportional representation. Both systems have their advantages and drawbacks. A typical disadvantage of proportional representation is that the people lack the power to vote an unpopular leader out of office, even if he/she stands at 30 or even less percent of the popular vote.

To make it short and sum up the bottom line: proportional representation tends to be the superior system in relatively small, geographically and ideologically homogeneous countries, like e.g. most European ones. But in a huge, diverse country like the United States, Canada, Russia or India, first past the post tends to do better because it guarantees that all relevant groups of interest and all regions of the country retain representation and actual political power.

Without the electoral college (and the Senate), American politics would be totally dominated by the big cities, all the campaigns would focus on these places, and all of rural America would be stripped of its influence. The electoral college rewards a geographically diverse support over lopsided margins in a few strongholds.

Another factor to keep in mind is that the big population centers, which in the U.S. happen to be Democratic strongholds, are the media hubs and therefore have a disproportionately large influence on the nation's public discourse which goes far beyond their population share. New York, Washington, Chicago, LA and the Bay Area are the political and ideological pace makers of the country anyway, even if they all lie in deep blue vote sink states.

funny how your exciting real life always calls EXACTLY you when you're being humiliated and your bs is exposed. nothing prevents you from replying when you come back from your adventures, i think we both know why you didn't (again) though, right?

all those flimsy talking points in favour of the EC have been debunked countless times. the US are right down the middle (in comparison with its peer countries) when it comes to urbanisation. in not a single country does that mean that rural areas get neglected to a degree that is worse than in the US. the EC actually does the OPPOSITE of its original intention, by making the presidential candidates draft and focus legislation on certain voting groups in particularly contested swing states, and spend disproportionate amounts of money on comparatively irrelevant industries and issues, that happen to be important there. it also makes millions of votes in solid red or blue state virtually worthless.

its downsides are so bad, that in times where the EC is not required to justify a president who has lost the popular vote by millions, even republicans are in favour of abandoning it by a huge margin (61-30): ( https://news.gallup.com/poll/159881/americans-call-term-limits-end-electoral-college.aspx )

This post was edited by fender on Jul 10 2020 07:21am
Jul 10 2020 07:28am
Quote (fender @ 10 Jul 2020 15:00)
funny how your exciting real life always calls EXACTLY you when you're being humiliated and your bs is exposed.

all those flimsy talking points in favour of the EC have been debunked countless times. the US are right down the middle (in comparison with its peer countries) when it comes to urbanisation. in not a single country does that mean that rural areas get neglected to a degree that is worse than in the US. the EC actually does the OPPOSITE of its original intention, by making the presidential candidates draft and focus legislation on certain voting groups in particularly contested swing states, and spend disproportionate amounts of money on comparatively irrelevant industries and issues, that happen to be important there. it also makes millions of votes in solid red or blue state virtually worthless.

its downsides are so bad, that in times where the EC is not required to justify a president who has lost the popular vote by millions, even republicans are in favour of abandoning it by a huge margin (61-30): ( https://news.gallup.com/poll/159881/americans-call-term-limits-end-electoral-college.aspx )

funny how you think you're humiliating or "exposing" me when I'm just ignoring you most of the time. people being fed up with your tedious bone-headedness and your neverending capacity to twist facts and the other person's arguments does not mean that you're "winning" in any way, shape or form.

you're like a child on the playground that's so obnoxious that the other kids dont play with him anymore - and then you're sitting there, all alone, and proclaim "victory" because you got the sandbox all to yourself.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 10 2020 07:29am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1387138723873387438755001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll