d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread
Prev1383338343835383638375001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,485.00
Jun 27 2020 05:13pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 27 2020 02:01pm)

I've noticed that DEMs only seem to like graphs when they enforce THEIR talking points. :D
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 27 2020 05:23pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 28 Jun 2020 00:49)
Cities being "the most dangerous" does not mean they aren't making progress, or haven't improved compared to where they would have been under alternative leadership. If you look at violent crime it is down like 60% since ~1995. They've made tremendous progress by your logic.

Lol what?
It is the liberals themselves who have, in recent weeks, been saying that not enough progress was made and that America is still basically racist to its bone. They are the ones complaining about a "lack of progress". And they blame Trump, the GOP and Republican voters for it. They are blaming the situation which lies within their own responsibility (e.g. hiring and code of conduct for the PDs in Minneapolis and Atlanta) on the other side. I merely pointed out how ridiculous this is.

Side note: violent crime is down since the 90s, yes, but at least a part of this reduction is explained by an aging society. In just about any society throughout human history, the vast majority of violent crime is committed by young males, so when young males make up a smaller share of the overall population now than they did a quarter century ago, then some drop in violent crime has to be expected. (The 60% reduction most definitely goes beyond this baseline though.)

You need to do some reading on statistics, because so far your arguments have relied on nothing but a misunderstanding of math, particularly statistics.

No offense, but I seriously doubt that you know more about math or statistics than me. The example with the 90% jobs has nothing to do with what we're quibbling about btw.

Anyway, I think you were simply misunderstanding my logic/the point I was trying to make. (Perhaps I communicated my point poorly.)

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 27 2020 05:23pm
Gold: 260.11
Jun 27 2020 05:40pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 27 2020 06:23pm)
Lol what?
It is the liberals themselves who have, in recent weeks, been saying that not enough progress was made and that America is still basically racist to its bone. They are the ones complaining about a "lack of progress". And they blame Trump, the GOP and Republican voters for it. They are blaming the situation which lies within their own responsibility (e.g. hiring and code of conduct for the PDs in Minneapolis and Atlanta) on the other side. I merely pointed out how ridiculous this is.

Side note: violent crime is down since the 90s, yes, but at least a part of this reduction is explained by an aging society. In just about any society throughout human history, the vast majority of violent crime is committed by young males, so when young males make up a smaller share of the overall population now than they did a quarter century ago, then some drop in violent crime has to be expected. (The 60% reduction most definitely goes beyond this baseline though.)

No offense, but I seriously doubt that you know more about math or statistics than me. The example with the 90% jobs has nothing to do with what we're quibbling about btw.

Anyway, I think you were simply misunderstanding my logic/the point I was trying to make. (Perhaps I communicated my point poorly.)

It has everything to do with what we are quibbling about. Democrats control 17/20 of the most dangerous cities because they control virtually every city. If the background is 90% Democrat (it's actually higher) then it's not meaningful to say 90% of the most dangerous cities are Democrat because they will control 18/20 of the worst of any variable you choose. That is why Trump's statement is wrong, because not only is his very specific "20 out of 20 are Democrat" wrong, but even the spirit of the statement where he is trying to imply that Democrats are poor governors with respect to violence is wrong.

You can know more about statics than me and still be using fallacious statistical arguments.

We can talk about other things when you cede that the article this all started with wasn't wrong and the picture Cam posted was cherry picked.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 27 2020 05:41pm
Jun 27 2020 05:44pm

Jun 27 2020 07:04pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 28 Jun 2020 01:40)
It has everything to do with what we are quibbling about. Democrats control 17/20 of the most dangerous cities because they control virtually every city. If the background is 90% Democrat (it's actually higher) then it's not meaningful to say 90% of the most dangerous cities are Democrat because they will control 18/20 of the worst of any variable you choose. That is why Trump's statement is wrong, because not only is his very specific "20 out of 20 are Democrat" wrong, but even the spirit of the statement where he is trying to imply that Democrats are poor governors with respect to violence is wrong.

Yes, the spirit of his statement was to imply that Democrats are doing a poor job running things, exemplified by violent crime rates. And a comparison between urban and non-urban crime rates largely proves this to be true: violent crime is concentrated in the big cities, which are almost all run by Democrats.

Now, correlation is obviously not causation, and it would be possible to argue that this is just spurious correlation, with 'degree of urbanization' acting as the confounding variable. One can certainly argue that urbanization is correlated with crime rates and also, for unrelated reasons,with a Democratic political lean. But even under this assumption, these Democratic mayors have had decades to get crime rates down to the level of non-urban places, to root out systemic racism within their PDs, to tackle the housing crisis, and so on and on.

Whatever the specific challenges are that an urban environment poses, Democrats have been in charge long enough to own these problems. When recent, lefty protesters insist that something fundamental is going wrong in Minneapolis and Atlanta, and these two cities have been governed by Democrats for 80 and 130 years, respectively, then Democrats have no one but themselves to blame for the local issues.

More specifically, all kinds of recent worsening in major metros have occurred in particularly liberal strongholds: the housing crisis in San Francisco, the gang violence in Chicago, the health crisis in New York City, the 'systemic racism' in Minneapolis and Atlanta, the willful loss of control in Seattle's CHAZ, and so on and on. Similarly, let's not forget that NYC was a declining cesspool during the 70s and 80s, and then quickly turned things around under the law-and-order policies of two Republican mayors, Giuliani and Bloomberg.

So the broader point Trump wanted to make was accurate. I will admit, however, that he chose the wrong comparison/statistic to support this point.
Jun 27 2020 07:09pm
You've made it clear you aren't willing to discuss this honestly.

Typing a long post to bring up a ton of extraneous details that aren't relevant to ignore an obscenely obvious conclusion is something Goom does. It seems like you've picked up his bad habit.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 27 2020 07:12pm
Jun 27 2020 07:32pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 28 Jun 2020 03:09)
You've made it clear you aren't willing to discuss this honestly.

Typing a long post to bring up a ton of extraneous details that aren't relevant to ignore an obscenely obvious conclusion is something Goom does. It seems like you've picked up his bad habit.

Dude, in case you missed it: I just conceded that you were technically right on your central point ("Trump cited a statistic to support his argument which, in fact, does nothing to support his argument").

The rest of my post served to explain why his argument was nonetheless correct in the greater scheme of things. I basically added the correct justification for his argument which he had failed to provide.

Anyway, the WaPo ""factcheck"" that started all of this didnt even address his faulty use of statistics the way you did, it rejected his claim on a bullshit technicality ("He said all 20 of the most violent cities are run by Democrats - joke's on him, one of these 20 is actually run by a Republican. Checkmate, trumptard!")
Jun 27 2020 07:36pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 27 2020 08:32pm)
Dude, in case you missed it: I just conceded that you were technically right on your central point ("Trump cited a statistic to support his argument which, in fact, does nothing to support his argument").

The rest of my post served to explain why his argument was nonetheless correct in the greater scheme of things. I basically added the correct justification for his argument which he had failed to provide.

Anyway, the WaPo ""factcheck"" that started all of this didnt even address his faulty use of statistics the way you did, it rejected his claim on a bullshit technicality ("He said all 20 of the most violent cities are run by Democrats - joke's on him, one of these 20 is actually run by a Republican. Checkmate, trumptard!")

You clearly didn't read the WaPo article lol or at least not very well

They rebuke it on the basis that 3 arent democrat controlled and democrats control every purely urban district but one so its not surprising that they control the mayoral office in most cities.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 27 2020 07:41pm
Gold: 285.00
Jun 27 2020 07:52pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 27 2020 07:44pm)

Cartoons that scream I've never been to a big city.
Jun 27 2020 08:07pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 27 2020 09:52pm)
Cartoons that scream I've never been to a big city.

Well, since I'm lazy, I'll just type the big cities I've lived in....

Pittsburgh (38y), NYC (1y), SF (20y), San Juan (1y)

The big cities I've been to, would take about a half hour to type.

/e Ah wth... here's a few of them...

LA, Sacramento, San Jose, Reno, Dallas, Kansas City, New Orleans, Miami, Salt Lake City, Chicago, Cincinnati, Omaha, Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, Juneau, Anchorage, Philly, Norfolk, San Antonio, Barcelona, Mexico City, Cancun, Madrid, etc., etc., etc.

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 27 2020 08:30pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1383338343835383638375001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll