d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread
Prev1380238033804380538065001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 57.00
Jun 14 2020 05:21pm
Quote (bogie160 @ 14 Jun 2020 18:39)
The last few weeks have seen the left encourage widespread looting in American cities, harass their political opponents, lobby to get them fired, and accuse bystanders of participating in "white supremacy" by exercising their right to not get involved.

The editor of the most distinguished leftist newspaper was just fired for publishing the opinion of a sitting US Senator who represents millions of American citizens.

I remember debating Orwell versus Huxley in school and arguing which was the more likely future. I thought for sure it would be Brave New World; after all, who could imagine censorship making a comeback? Now I honestly see how wrong I was.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ 14 Jun 2020 15:18)
Are those protesters really waving the American flag in rl? Somehow I doubt it. :rolleyes:

yeah neither of those pictures are realistic depictions. just fantasy drawings of some likely anti-American election-denying pale pasty privileged lefty who has not been exonerated of being a racist and abusing animals

This post was edited by excellence on Jun 14 2020 05:21pm
Gold: 260.11
Jun 14 2020 06:02pm
Quote (bogie160 @ Jun 14 2020 06:14pm)
How did George W. Bush condone (explicitly or implicitly) violence and looting in black communities? Please reference specific examples.

Bold - You sound like a Monty Python skit. It's not a good look.

"Oh ha ha, I heard a joke that had that term once, so nothing can be serious if it has that term. lol, you're such a fool"

Did Bush make an attempt to remove the institutional laws that have affected the community to this day and resulted in the riots we are seeing now? No? Because they were present during his time... Was he aware of those issues? I guarantee he was. To not do anything when you have the power to act and are aware of the issue is to implicitly condone the status quo. And that status quo has been for the entire history of this country to disenfranchise minority groups by institutional violence and wealth extraction.

Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 14 2020 06:14pm)
Yes, I'll admit that my wording was sloppy. But like you said, since the mid-2000s, Democrats/liberals have been the side of censorship and cancel culture while Republicans/conservatives have been more on the side of freedom of speech. That's roughly the timeframe during which I have been paying closer attention to American politics, so my impression might be biased here. The Bush-type, socially conservative Republicans of that time were trash, I dislike them even more passionately than today's liberals.

Your notion, however, was that Republicans are still the party of censorship and cancel culture today, and that's outright laughable.

They remain the party of censorship and cancel culture, they're just bad at it. You think given the opportunity they wouldn't ban gays from TV again? The fact that they aren't doing it as well as the other side doesn't mean they aren't still exactly that.

"The left" has been on the side of censorship and cancel culture in the way that societies should do those things. Using non-centralized efforts like social pressure and market pressure. Pressuring advertisers to remove content we don't like by voting with our dollars and the like. That is wholly different from using the government to enforce censorship, which has been the method of conservatives for the entire history of the country. Whereas the left will not pay somebody to speak on their campus, and threaten to not pay advertisers for supporting voices they don't like,. conservatives will lobby the FCC to ban interracial couples and gay couples on TV, or ban gay marriage in their states. It is absolutely not the same and not a censorship issue. Free speech does not mean you get to speak everywhere and to whatever audience, and the fact that free speech exists means your opponents get to use their free speech to oppose you. What I've seen is conservatives being whiny bitches about other people using their free speech to oppose shitty conservative ideas. You don't lose your right to free speech because somebody took away your platform.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 14 2020 06:06pm
Gold: 253.37
Jun 15 2020 03:28am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 14 2020 08:02pm)
"Oh ha ha, I heard a joke that had that term once, so nothing can be serious if it has that term. lol, you're such a fool"

Did Bush make an attempt to remove the institutional laws that have affected the community to this day and resulted in the riots we are seeing now? No? Because they were present during his time... Was he aware of those issues? I guarantee he was. To not do anything when you have the power to act and are aware of the issue is to implicitly condone the status quo. And that status quo has been for the entire history of this country to disenfranchise minority groups by institutional violence and wealth extraction.

What qualifies violence as institutional? Given that some minority groups are very well off, and others very poor, at times it's almost like we're discussing issues rooted fundamentally in class rather than race.

I'm more interested in the second point, though. How has the "status quo" enforced a policy of wealth extraction on minorities? Please cite recent examples.
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 15 2020 04:44am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jun 15 2020 05:28am)
What qualifies violence as institutional? Given that some minority groups are very well off, and others very poor, at times it's almost like we're discussing issues rooted fundamentally in class rather than race.

I'm more interested in the second point, though. How has the "status quo" enforced a policy of wealth extraction on minorities? Please cite recent examples.

Welfare makes them poorer

Solution: get rid of welfare
Gold: 5,016.77
Jun 15 2020 10:37am
Jun 15 2020 11:27am
Gold: 2,617.52
Jun 15 2020 12:19pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 15 2020 01:27pm)

Cant learn from history if you destroy your history. black guy pointing to forehead.jpg
Jun 15 2020 01:59pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ Jun 15 2020 02:19pm)
Cant learn from history if you destroy your history. black guy pointing to forehead.jpg

Renaming military bases and removing Confederate statues from public view isn't destroying history.
Gold: 10,485.00
Jun 15 2020 02:43pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jun 15 2020 03:59pm)
Renaming military bases and removing Confederate statues from public view isn't destroying history.

Ofc it is. If, let's say we remove Robert E Lee statues and then don't teach about him either (which will be the next demand), then poof there goes a part of our history.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jun 15 2020 02:44pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 15 2020 01:43pm)
Ofc it is. If, let's say we remove Robert E Lee statues and then don't teach about him either (which will be the next demand), then poof there goes a part of our history.

Why would that happen? Wouldn't they want to make him seem worse than he actually was in order to promote victimhood?
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1380238033804380538065001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll