d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread
Prev1380138023803380438055001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 14 2020 03:32pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 14 Jun 2020 23:27)
The point is that one of these signifies the ideal of America more than the other. Freedom of speech fulfills that ideal more than the militaristic trump's America.

So the side which is constantly calling for censorship of unwelcome viewpoints, constantly trying to expand the definition of "hate speech" to silence dissenters, and which seems to cherish diversity of everything but opinion - that's the side you think represents the ideal of freedom of speech? :lol:

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jun 14 2020 03:32pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Jun 14 2020 03:39pm

Gold: 260.11
Jun 14 2020 03:39pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 14 2020 04:32pm)
So the side which is constantly calling for censorship of unwelcome viewpoints, constantly trying to expand the definition of "hate speech" to silence dissenters, and which seems to cherish diversity of everything but opinion - that's the side you think represents the ideal of freedom of speech? :lol:

Youre describing conservatives bro. Come to an area with a Republican majority. Remember when they literally made the argument that not being able to oppress gay kids in schools was taking away the rights of the Christian kids? I do lol

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 14 2020 03:40pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Jun 14 2020 04:01pm
When even Nature is sick of your shyt...

This post was edited by Ghot on Jun 14 2020 04:20pm
Gold: 253.37
Jun 14 2020 04:39pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 14 2020 05:39pm)
Youre describing conservatives bro. Come to an area with a Republican majority. Remember when they literally made the argument that not being able to oppress gay kids in schools was taking away the rights of the Christian kids? I do lol

The last few weeks have seen the left encourage widespread looting in American cities, harass their political opponents, lobby to get them fired, and accuse bystanders of participating in "white supremacy" by exercising their right to not get involved.

The editor of the most distinguished leftist newspaper was just fired for publishing the opinion of a sitting US Senator who represents millions of American citizens.

I remember debating Orwell versus Huxley in school and arguing which was the more likely future. I thought for sure it would be Brave New World; after all, who could imagine censorship making a comeback? Now I honestly see how wrong I was.
Jun 14 2020 04:52pm
Quote (bogie160 @ 15 Jun 2020 00:39)
The last few weeks have seen the left encourage widespread looting in American cities, harass their political opponents, lobby to get them fired, and accuse bystanders of participating in "white supremacy" by exercising their right to not get involved.

The editor of the most distinguished leftist newspaper was just fired for publishing the opinion of a sitting US Senator who represents millions of American citizens.

I remember debating Orwell versus Huxley in school and arguing which was the more likely future. I thought for sure it would be Brave New World; after all, who could imagine censorship making a comeback? Now I honestly see how wrong I was.

Let's not forget defacing monuments of slavers and abolitionists alike, literally cancelling a classic like Gone with the Wind, and attempts by the employees of social media giants to pressure their own leadership into large-scale censorship of the President and conservative voices in general.

Cancel culture, political correctness, literally shouting down any speakers at universities who have the audacity to challenge the leftists point of view - all those things have been an "innovation" by the political left.
Gold: 260.11
Jun 14 2020 05:02pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jun 14 2020 05:52pm)
Let's not forget defacing monuments of slavers and abolitionists alike, literally cancelling a classic like Gone with the Wind, and attempts by the employees of social media giants to pressure their own leadership into large-scale censorship of the President and conservative voices in general.

Cancel culture, political correctness, literally shouting down any speakers at universities who have the audacity to challenge the leftists point of view - all those things have been an "innovation" by the political left.

None of those things have been an innovation by the left lol

The entirety of American history up until like the year 2005 was dominated by banning gays and interracial couples from TV, violence against people who didn't follow religious dogma, literal book burnings at churches, etc. etc.

Then when "the left" tries to use the methods that conservatives have called for, like using social pressure and market pressures to cast your vote for values, then conservatives are like "WHY ARE WE BEING CENSORED? A BLOO BLOO BLOO". Conservatives in general will talk out of both sides of their mouth. "If you don't like the result vote with your dollars" then when people put pressures on advertisers by voting with their dollars conservatives are all like "WHY ARE WE BEING CENSORED WAHHHHHH!"

Quote (bogie160 @ Jun 14 2020 05:39pm)

And the last 200 years has seen conservatives condoning, either explicitly or implicitly, violence and looting against the communities that are rising up. Your argument is akin to "why are blacks so violent! We let them out of slavery!" (ya know, where you totally ignore the institutional violence inherent in the system because that violence seems normal to you).

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jun 14 2020 05:06pm
Gold: 107.77
Jun 14 2020 05:12pm
Jun 14 2020 05:14pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 15 Jun 2020 01:02)
None of those things have been an innovation by the left lol

The entirety of American history up until like the year 2005 was dominated by banning gays and interracial couples from TV, violence against people who didn't follow religious dogma, literal book burnings at churches, etc. etc.

Yes, I'll admit that my wording was sloppy. But like you said, since the mid-2000s, Democrats/liberals have been the side of censorship and cancel culture while Republicans/conservatives have been more on the side of freedom of speech. That's roughly the timeframe during which I have been paying closer attention to American politics, so my impression might be biased here. The Bush-type, socially conservative Republicans of that time were trash, I dislike them even more passionately than today's liberals.

Your notion, however, was that Republicans are still the party of censorship and cancel culture today, and that's outright laughable.
Gold: 253.37
Jun 14 2020 05:14pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jun 14 2020 07:02pm)

And the last 200 years has seen conservatives condoning, either explicitly or implicitly, violence and looting against the communities that are rising up. Your argument is akin to "why are blacks so violent! We let them out of slavery!" (ya know, where you totally ignore the institutional violence inherent in the system because that violence seems normal to you).

How did George W. Bush condone (explicitly or implicitly) violence and looting in black communities? Please reference specific examples.

Bold - You sound like a Monty Python skit. It's not a good look.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1380138023803380438055001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll