d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Forced Vaccinations For Children?
Prev1363738394047Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 27 2015 05:33am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 26 2015 11:14pm)
Back to my original question.... on what basis do you have an expectation to liberty? Mankind may not as a whole be enslaved, but individuals can surely be enslaved and deprived of liberty. There are many even today, although maybe not in America, that will certainly be enslaved in their lifetime. The question of slavery is not moot in the face of history because it still happens.

I'm sorry, but can you find me some people who condone slavery? I have a right to my life, but murder still happens. Hello?

Quote (duffman316 @ Feb 26 2015 11:37pm)
you know human trafficking still exists right?

Sure. So does murder. Do you still have a right to live?
Gold: 260.11
Feb 27 2015 09:53am
Quote (Santara @ Feb 27 2015 05:33am)
I'm sorry, but can you find me some people who condone slavery? I have a right to my life, but murder still happens. Hello?

Sure. So does murder. Do you still have a right to live?

So then a right depends on who agrees you have them?

I'd prefer if you just gave an unambiguous definition in your own words, because you aren't communicating what you think to me very effectively.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Feb 27 2015 09:53am
Feb 27 2015 01:23pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 27 2015 09:53am)
So then a right depends on who agrees you have them?

I'd prefer if you just gave an unambiguous definition in your own words, because you aren't communicating what you think to me very effectively.

My take on rights is really expansive. Pretty much do as I please as long as I cause no harm to others.
Gold: 1.00
Feb 27 2015 01:29pm
Quote (Santara @ Feb 27 2015 12:23pm)
My take on rights is really expansive. Pretty much do as I please as long as I cause no harm to others.

I'm just curious, would you say deregulate the advertising and sale of fake pharmaceutical medication on the grounds of corporate liberty?

/bad example, substitute pharmaceutical for something else expensive but not life threatening.

//on a side note, i believe communications technology is bringing us closer to a free society

This post was edited by Comus on Feb 27 2015 01:31pm
Feb 27 2015 01:45pm
Quote (Comus @ Feb 27 2015 01:29pm)
I'm just curious, would you say deregulate the advertising and sale of fake pharmaceutical medication on the grounds of corporate liberty?

/bad example, substitute pharmaceutical for something else expensive but not life threatening.

//on a side note, i believe communications technology is bringing us closer to a free society

I would deregulate the sale of real pharmaceuticals on the grounds of individual liberty. I would make it perfectly legal to sue corporate executives as individuals over product liability, but I would also make sure that the legal doctrine for assumption of risk is in place too.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 27 2015 02:43pm
Quote (Santara @ Feb 27 2015 01:23pm)

Yeah, again, I'd like a definition of natural rights, not your thesis on rights
Gold: 277,740.50
Feb 27 2015 02:57pm
So if a parent prefer the risk to catch a disease to the side effect risk of the vaccine, then he should be charitable to the community and vaccinate his kids anyway.

Pretty stupid imo

Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Feb 27 2015 03:16pm
Quote (Santara @ Feb 26 2015 10:04pm)
My expectation that people not interfere with my rights is intellectually no different than your expectation that the government will punish someone who does.

actually there's a vital difference here, it is that of the power. expectations hold no weight without their enforcement.

Quote (Skinned @ Feb 26 2015 11:12pm)
The concept of Rights is a Western concept,

no, it's a societal concept. i think that you might be referring to "absolutely universal rights" tho.

Quote (Santara @ Feb 27 2015 02:33pm)

what? it's in the slaves' essence, it's their telos to make the master be able to do other stuff (such as participate in symposia).
all it took was for me to pick up a book by one of the founders of Western philosophical thought.

Quote (Santara @ Feb 27 2015 01:54am)
And that's what natural rights are; the normal expectations of behavior from our fellow civilized human beings, not animals.

sure, those are what could be expected in many societies in the state of "primitive communism" - which is the norm for hunting-gathering lifestyles.
"normal expectations" don't exist, because there is no norm to be had here.

This post was edited by Gastly on Feb 27 2015 03:21pm
Feb 27 2015 05:30pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 27 2015 02:43pm)
Yeah, again, I'd like a definition of natural rights, not your thesis on rights

FFS! How many lmgtfys do you require?

Fundamental human rights based on universal natural law, as opposed to those based on man-made positive law.

noun
1. any right that exists by virtue of natural law.

Natural and legal rights are two types of rights. Legal rights are those bestowed onto a person by a given legal system. Natural rights are those not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of any particular culture or government, and therefore universal and inalienable (i.e., rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws).

And for further clarification:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law

Natural law, or the law of nature (Latin: lex naturalis; ius naturale), is a system of law that is determined by nature, and so is universal. Classically, natural law refers to the use of reason to analyze human nature — both social and personal — and deduce binding rules of moral behavior from it. Natural law is often contrasted with the positive law of a given political community, society, or state. In legal theory, on the other hand, the interpretation of positive law requires some reference to natural law. On this understanding of natural law, natural law can be invoked to criticize judicial decisions about what the law says but not to criticize the best interpretation of the law itself. Some scholars use natural law synonymously with natural justice or natural right (Latin ius naturale), while others distinguish between natural law and natural right.

Although natural law is often conflated with common law, the two are distinct in that natural law is a view that certain rights or values are inherent in or universally cognizable by virtue of human reason or human nature, while common law is the legal tradition whereby certain rights or values are legally cognizable by virtue of judicial recognition or articulation.

Is this fucking good enough for you? It's NOT cut-and-dried "this is natural, this is not," it requires reason and deduction. It's fluid, it's not easily nailed down. Are you expecting some enumeration of rights like the Bill of Rights? Do you understand that the Bill of Rights was opposed by people who think like me precisely because we felt that it limited rights to those enumerated, and why we fought for the 9th amendment.

Quote (Gastly @ Feb 27 2015 03:16pm)
actually there's a vital difference here, it is that of the power. expectations hold no weight without their enforcement.

no, it's a societal concept. i think that you might be referring to "absolutely universal rights" tho.

what? it's in the slaves' essence, it's their telos to make the master be able to do other stuff (such as participate in symposia).
all it took was for me to pick up a book by one of the founders of Western philosophical thought.

sure, those are what could be expected in many societies in the state of "primitive communism" - which is the norm for hunting-gathering lifestyles.
"normal expectations" don't exist, because there is no norm to be had here.

Expectations don't matter with the uncivilized, sure. Good thing we're pretty civilized people in the world.

Wat?
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Feb 27 2015 06:21pm
Quote (Santara @ Feb 28 2015 02:30am)
Expectations don't matter with the uncivilized, sure. Good thing we're pretty civilized people in the world.

which parts of my sentences did you have problems with?
this babble about "the uncivilized" is of course nothing short of ridiculous when my exact point was that the major societal changes between hunting-gathering societies and agricultural ones did create a gap in what rights are given and realised in the lives of the peoples living in these communities. the change to agriculture meant a change in rights as well, as did various other changes.. This is like... Pretty much well acknowledged in general.

What are these rights worth without enforcement, and what do you base them upon?

i mean... doesn¨t hinting at "uncivlized rights" also mean that these rights are a matter of "civilization", rather than a matter of nature? that's a self-contradictory position.

This post was edited by Gastly on Feb 27 2015 06:27pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1363738394047Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll