d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1363738394078Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 24 2013 01:15am
Quote (brmv @ Apr 24 2013 03:58pm)
the point was that you love to find new terminology to describe old things
here it is just about running circles around blind faith but faithfully avoiding to call it that  :rolleyes:

So you would rather know all the details about everything before you go along with it?
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 24 2013 01:23am
Quote (CPK001 @ 24 Apr 2013 07:15)
So you would rather know all the details about everything before you go along with it?

there is a difference between the anglo-saxon world where the principle is 'you have to make your own mistakes' and where i come from where it is 'books are experiences you can buy'
while not 'all the details" (again you are going overboard) i definitely would want enough detail to make some sort of assessment

btw, you better start drafting a post for the christian subforum so that everyone there can join in the anzac dawn services
Apr 24 2013 05:42am
Quote (brmv @ Apr 24 2013 05:23pm)
there is a difference between the anglo-saxon world where the principle is 'you have to make your own mistakes' and where i come from where it is 'books are experiences you can buy'
while not 'all the details" (again you are going overboard) i definitely would want enough detail to make some sort of assessment

btw, you better start drafting a post for the christian subforum so that everyone there can join in the anzac dawn services

So what if somebody shouts 'DUCK!' Would you crouch without looking and find out afterwards why you had to duck?

Or would you turn around and ask 'WHY?' Then get hit in the head with a ball. Tell me which option sounds better to you. You want to know enough detail to make some sort of assessment, in which case it is too late to act anyway?
Apr 24 2013 06:13am
Quote (CPK001 @ 24 Apr 2013 11:42)
So what if somebody shouts 'DUCK!' Would you crouch without looking and find out afterwards why you had to duck?
Or would you turn around and ask 'WHY?' Then get hit in the head with a ball. Tell me which option sounds better to you. You want to know enough detail to make some sort of assessment, in which case it is too late to act anyway?

so you just say 'i need to check how much petrol is in the tank' and put a lighter in?
Gold: 2,285.00
Apr 24 2013 07:00am
Quote (brmv @ Apr 24 2013 08:13am)
so you just say 'i need to check how much petrol is in the tank' and put a lighter in?

That's a sure-fire way.
Apr 25 2013 05:58am
Quote (brmv @ Apr 24 2013 10:13pm)

I just check the petrol-gauge.

Besides I can tell that was a dodge because you know in that particular scenario it was proven true to just trust the person without knowing all the details in advance was better than wanting to know before hand.
Apr 25 2013 06:21am
Quote (CPK001 @ 25 Apr 2013 11:58)
I just check the petrol-gauge. and if the gauge does not work you probably just pray for a miracle  :P
Besides I can tell that was a dodge because you know in that particular scenario it was proven true to just trust the person without knowing all the details in advance was better than wanting to know before hand.

you might believe that your scenario 'was proven true' but i tell you that is just another belief of yours
from all what i have read of your posts it is quite clear that you quickly give up and replace reason with belief
let me repeat once again: no objection against you having faith but do not believe that others need to rely on faith to make their decisions
Gold: 2,285.00
Apr 25 2013 05:40pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 25 2013 07:58am)

You're walking down a hall and you see a sign that says "Wet paint"

Do you touch the wall, or do you trust the sign and stay as far away as possible? Because a lot of people will touch it, just to be sure.
Gold: 722.53
Warn: 10%
Apr 25 2013 07:30pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 25 2013 05:58am)

Does anyone make any business venture, or build anything, without knowing all of the details first? Your notion that everyone who acts on faith would be better off doing so rather than wanting to know all the details is more of an emotionally based argument that relies upon universal absolutes.
Apr 25 2013 08:35pm
Quote (brmv @ Apr 25 2013 10:21pm)
you might believe that your scenario 'was proven true' but i tell you that is just another belief of yours
from all what i have read of your posts it is quite clear that you quickly give up and replace reason with belief
let me repeat once again: no objection against you having faith but do not believe that others need to rely on faith to make their decisions

If the gauge itself does not work, I can check the mileage right below it. Plan B works perfectly.

Quote (bentherdonethat @ Apr 26 2013 09:40am)
You're walking down a hall and you see a sign that says "Wet paint"

Do you touch the wall, or do you trust the sign and stay as far away as possible? Because a lot of people will touch it, just to be sure.

You must imagine though, why is it so important for you to know whether or not the paint is dry or wet? What will you do with this newfound information?

Quote (AEtheric @ Apr 26 2013 11:30am)
Does anyone make any business venture, or build anything, without knowing all of the details first? Your notion that everyone who acts on faith would be better off doing so rather than wanting to know all the details is more of an emotionally based argument that relies upon universal absolutes.

That has nothing to do with this topic. Nice fallacy. My examples involve trusting other people. Your example is things like inventing new technology, no other person to trust there. With your business venture, you want to find out about the BUSINESS, not the people that run the business. There is a big difference.

I can also think of some examples where it is better to know all the details rather than act without knowing everything. Things like making a life changing decision, you will want to take all the time you need. However, that notion doesn't involve trusting a single person alone as a decision like that would weigh much more heavily.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1363738394078Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll