d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Clinton 2016 > Finally, A Thread For Winners
Prev13435363738183Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 14.88
Jul 17 2016 03:51pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jun 30 2016 07:55am)
The Republicans have pretty much did this themselves. It is their fault they have been backward on Civil Rights since Lincoln died.

Civil Rights are a joke. You'll cometo learn what they're worth when the voices of the well-armed poortion of the population are overridden by the will of oligarchs.

Also, not bothering witb the since Lincoln comment, I know you're not a complete retard and only exaggerated.

This post was edited by PlasmaSnake101 on Jul 17 2016 03:52pm
Gold: 2,620.00
Jul 17 2016 04:40pm
Quote (Beowulf @ 17 Jul 2016 13:00)
If given the option I would support less money in politics and I am glad she is pledging as she did even if I am skeptical about the result or intention

I don't want 4000 options of everyone from Roseanne to Billy Bob down the mountain when I go in to vote for President though

That's an unrelated issue. Citizens United and special interests/corporate donations don't affect ballot access and the amount of candidates that appear on the ballot box on election day.

You're not going to have "4000 options of everyone from Roseanne to Billy Bob down the mountain" on the ballot if the influence of money in politics is decreased. That issue is out of scope.
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 17 2016 06:14pm
Cop Killary 2016
Gold: 40.42
Jul 17 2016 07:17pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ 17 Jul 2016 16:14)
Cop Killary 2016

Aren't you the one who can't stop whining when someone posts in the trump thread tho?
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 17 2016 07:33pm
Quote (AiNedeSpelCzech @ Jul 17 2016 09:17pm)
Aren't you the one who can't stop whining when someone posts in the trump thread tho?

=)
Gold: 40.42
Jul 17 2016 08:50pm
Quote (EndlessSky @ 17 Jul 2016 17:33)
=)

It's almost like you're completely incapable of consistent rational thought or something
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 17 2016 10:33pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 17 2016 09:35am)
The influence of corporations and special interest groups over elections and votes is larger than what it should be. The people still hold the most power, but that does not exclude the possibility of corporations/special interests having more influence over elections and votes than they probably should have.

Take for instance the NRA. When polled, the majority of Americans want to see increased gun restrictions. However, we see very little of those gun restrictions because the NRA is constantly lining the pockets of politicians to vote or behave in certain ways as it pertains to gun laws.

This is an example of a special interest group holding a disproportionate amount of power over elections and votes. What the people want vs what we get isn't always the same thing because money from corporations and special interest groups can influence the way politicians vote and behave.

To be clear, I do not think that special interest groups and corporations should have zero power or influence over the democratic process in America. I just think that Citizens United exacerbated the problem.

Take a look at the ridiculous amount of money pouring into this presidential election and the past presidential election and compare them to 2008 and previous elections in the US and you will see what I'm talking about. It didn't used to always be this way. Sanders and Clinton are right, Citizens United strips away some of the influence from voters (and yes, they still hold the majority of the power).

I think you're incredibly misguided on the issue oflobbying, specifically the NRA. Politicians don't really care about the NRA's money. It's actually pretty inconsequential. They are scared of the NRA because they are VERY effective at getting people out to vote. NRA members are CONSISTENT voters and can swing an election. Politicians don't fear money or the lack thereof. They fear large swaths of people voting against them.

Also, we should put a hard cap on the number of Twitter followers that people can have. It's undemocratic for certain people have to have disproportionate influence on politicians.

This post was edited by thundercock on Jul 17 2016 10:42pm
Gold: 2,620.00
Jul 17 2016 10:57pm
Quote (thundercock @ 17 Jul 2016 23:33)
I think you're incredibly misguided on the issue oflobbying, specifically the NRA. Politicians don't really care about the NRA's money. It's actually pretty inconsequential. They are scared of the NRA because they are VERY effective at getting people out to vote. NRA members are CONSISTENT voters and can swing an election. Politicians don't fear money or the lack thereof. They fear large swaths of people voting against them.

Also, we should put a hard cap on the number of Twitter followers that people can have. It's undemocratic for certain people have to have disproportionate influence on politicians.

I think you have a valid point about NRA supporters being consistent voters, but politicians' voting behaviors are most definitely influenced by money and special interest groups.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 17 2016 11:02pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 17 2016 08:57pm)
I think you have a valid point about NRA supporters being consistent voters, but politicians' voting behaviors are most definitely influenced by money and special interest groups.

But it's not necessarily the money, which is my point. I see nothing wrong with special interest groups because it's our way to communicate our will to Congress at the national level. My Congressman isn't going to listen to me if I call him. I need to get like-minded individuals to coalesce into a single voice (a.k.a. a special interest group)
Gold: 20.31
Jul 18 2016 05:39pm
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jul 16 2016 03:19pm)
"Hillary Clinton committed Saturday to introducing a constitutional amendment to overturn the Citizens United decision within her first 30 days in office, if she’s elected president."

“The amendment would allow Americans to establish common sense rules to protect against the undue influence of billionaires and special interests and to restore the role of average voters in elections,” a Clinton spokesman said in statement.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/hillary-clinton-citizens-united-225658?cmpid=sf

This is excellent news. Amending the Constitution is very difficult, so I doubt it passes, but it's still a fantastic thing to try and do. Campaign finance reform is one of the biggest issues facing the US today because it would help restore the democratic process and affects how all of our elected officials behave and vote after they are elected.

This reminds me of a humorous exchange that had to have taken place probably about a year ago, where I told you and the rest of the members here that this exact thing was going to happen, because this is a position she already held, years ago. I'm not sure why so many people didn't fully understand that but whatever the cause, I'm glad it's no longer an issue. This has been the national position for the Democratic party for years and that includes her. The fact that she allows a Super PAC to accept donations does not mean that she does not want to overturn the decision, it simply means that she does not want to allow Republicans to be able to simply buy elections.

The Democrats have made the basic offer 5 years running now, "we will agree to no Super PACs if you will," but the Republicans have always refused. Clinton knows that the GOP can't win without Super PACs, that's why she's given Priorities USA her blessing. If she could have gotten rid of Citizens United two years she would have done it without blinking and then would hvae waltzed to the White House.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13435363738183Next
Closed New Topic New Poll