d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Religion Actually Does To People - Part One > Childhood Indoctrination Is Child Abuse
Prev1343536373841Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.76
Jan 31 2015 01:42pm
We've talked a bunch about sex, and this is supposed to be a thread that deals with how religion adversely affects children, or doesn't.
If a man and woman get together and marry out of duty to God and not their hearts. Say they have children and raise them in a house of rules but void of love. The kids learn all the rules, they follow god's orders and fear god's wrath.But they never learn of the warmth and tenderness that a couple shares.

I think a child raised in a house of maybe a more "sinful nature" in the bible sense yet with loving people with open hearts. would be much better off.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 31 2015 02:01pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jan 31 2015 02:42pm)
We've talked a bunch about sex, and this is supposed to be a thread that deals with how religion adversely affects children, or doesn't.
If a man and woman get together and marry out of duty to God and not their hearts. Say they have children and raise them in a house of rules but void of love. The kids learn all the rules, they follow god's orders and fear god's wrath.But they never learn of the warmth and tenderness that a couple shares.

I think a child raised in a house of maybe a more "sinful nature" in the bible sense yet with loving people with open hearts. would be much better off.

Better off psychologically? Most likely. Better off eternally? Maybe not.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 31 2015 03:51pm
Quote (IceMage @ 31 Jan 2015 20:01)

So your position is that it's a morally decent choice to value the completely unsupported idea that a child's life continues after death more than their health in their current and only verifiable life?

This is why that cunt mother Theresa got canonised... because of stupid views like that.
Gold: 285.00
Jan 31 2015 03:57pm
Quote (Scaly @ Jan 31 2015 04:51pm)
So your position is that it's a morally decent choice to value the completely unsupported idea that a child's life continues after death more than their health in their current and only verifiable life?

This is why that cunt mother Theresa got canonised... because of stupid views like that.

It isn't like India exactly has cutting edge health care for their "untouchables". She helped see people off who were going anyway. I don't see anything bad with her practice. I'm familiar with the attacks on her saying she encouraged people to die, but she wasn't shooting people full of diseases. If you want to blame poor health care in developing nations on something, blame notions of intellectual property that keeps cheaply produced medicine out of the hands of the sick.

Quote (IceMage @ Jan 31 2015 03:01pm)

Ugh. Insanity. We can literally see when somebody becomes alive, and we can see when they die. There is no ambiguity, we are temporal creatures with a beginning and an end.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jan 31 2015 03:59pm
Gold: 0.76
Jan 31 2015 03:59pm
Quote (IceMage @ 31 Jan 2015 15:01)

You can't hold the child responsible for the parent's teachings? Even if raised in a Atheist household by loving a loving gay couple. Surely in a Christian point of view that child's soul isn't forsaken is it?

And there is where the conversation is supposed to be, Scaly has some pretty extreme views on the dangers of raising a christian child, and I'm sure there are some Christians that have extreme views on raising an Atheist child. What about a secular child? there are probably more of those than either of the other, they identify themselves as Christian, but rarely attend church, probably the Christmas, Easter, wedding, and funeral type. Sometimes if ambitious they will run the kids up for Sunday School but rarely stay for church. And maybe do VBS in the summer if there is time between baseball, summer soccer, and swim lessons.

A lot of secular children are really left pretty rudderless as far as religious or non religious doctrine goes. many times they make up their minds when they decide to start a family, or if their partner has a strong feeling in one or the other direction.
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 31 2015 05:15pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 31 2015 04:57pm)
Ugh. Insanity. We can literally see when somebody becomes alive, and we can see when they die. There is no ambiguity, we are temporal creatures with a beginning and an end.

Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jan 31 2015 04:59pm)
You can't hold the child responsible for the parent's teachings? Even if raised in a Atheist household by loving a loving gay couple. Surely in a Christian point of view that child's soul isn't forsaken is it?

And there is where the conversation is supposed to be, Scaly has some pretty extreme views on the dangers of raising a christian child, and I'm sure there are some Christians that have extreme views on raising an Atheist child. What about a secular child? there are probably more of those than either of the other, they identify themselves as Christian, but rarely attend church, probably the Christmas, Easter, wedding, and funeral type. Sometimes if ambitious they will run the kids up for Sunday School but rarely stay for church. And maybe do VBS in the summer if there is time between baseball, summer soccer, and swim lessons.

A lot of secular children are really left pretty rudderless as far as religious or non religious doctrine goes. many times they make up their minds when they decide to start a family, or if their partner has a strong feeling in one or the other direction.

Believers have an obligation to do everything they can to enable their kids to believe. Their salvation is far more important than whether the heathens at their school feel comfortable or not.

This post was edited by IceMage on Jan 31 2015 05:20pm
Feb 1 2015 07:26am
Quote (Voyaging @ Jan 31 2015 06:57pm)
None of these consequences is due to the action in question. One can be in an a polyamorous relationship. One can have sex with a woman within marriage and still refuse to raise a baby should she get pregnant. Similarly, one can have sex outside of marriage and choose to raise the baby as a couple.

The third is just an appeal to emotion: "Oh please don't tell me you don't see anything wrong with that cause it grosses me out and God says it's bad!" I certainly see nothing explicitly morally wrong with sex between siblings if pregnancy can be guaranteed to be prevented, though I think in generally it's something to best be avoided. Sex with pets is different because they can't consent; if they could then it would of course be morally acceptable. That's not to say these behaviors should be socially or personally acceptable, but there isn't anything intrinsically wrong with them such that they should be banned.

One attribute to marriage is called communication. The female may say "I want a baby!" The male can say "yes" or "no." The male in that case would have to raise the baby if he agreed to have one. This would be where we define the roles of the family members but I'll leave it at that. So one can have sex outside of marriage and choose to raise the baby as a couple. So that means they might as well get married right? In that scenario there is one small problem: If one gives in to moral temptation before marriage, what’s to stop him or her from giving in to moral temptation once married?

Morally? Absolutely not, nor does anyone who has a reasonable moral compass that hasn't been hijacked by their religion's seemingly arbitrary moral dogmas. What naturalistic reasons do you have for suggesting that homosexual sex is an intrinsically morally wrong behavior? I will not accept revealed Scripture as a reason.

Here is the Australian Marriage Act 1961: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2013C00164

“Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”;

A union solemnised in a foreign country between:
(a) a man and another man; or
(b) a woman and another woman;
must not be recognised as a marriage in Australia.

So there must be some good reason why the Marriage Act defines marriage as the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others.
Also why a man with another man or a woman with another woman is not recognised as a marriage in Australia.

Not once does it mention God.

I think he was just using tl;dr as an indication that he was giving a summary of the link he posted, not commenting on your post.

I guess you'll want me to redeem that part then yes?

Tl;dr: numerous researchers have all come to the same conclusions on swingers and couples in open relationships...they all report higher levels of marriage satisfaction and trust than their monogamous counterparts. While I personally would never be in such a relationship, the facts are the complete opposite of what you claim.

As far as damaging friends, that speaks more about them than it does the people involved. So my friend decides to ruin their marriage with an affair...who gives a shit? That's their problem and divorce battle, not mine. I can obviously tell them not to have affairs. I can tell them what a mistake they made.

But I'm most definitely not actually their friend if the first thing I think of every time I see them that they committed adultery. It's part of that whole "turn the other cheek" and "let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" thing.

So was their reasons for having an open relationship to fulfill their own desires? Sex outside of marriage is impure and immoral and known as committing adultery. A marriage is a man and woman becoming one flesh. If there are multiple fleshes involved the love is divided you cannot love one another fully.

As for friends of the people involved. Your friend ruins their marriage with an affair, why don't you care? Why do you not care that your friend's life is at peril? What kind of friend are you if you do not care for them? If you see them heading towards danger, would you not stop them? Would you not help them?

Oh and it is called a reputation, what are they known by if they did that terrible thing? Think of the other victim, their heart is broken. Yet "Who gives a shit?"

Quote (Scaly @ Jan 31 2015 08:30pm)
I think Voyaging pretty much covered this before I got to it. The only thing that I would add is that out of the ordinary =/= immoral and that I actually have few issues with incest between consenting family members of the same generation provided they are responsible when it comes to the question of whether or not to have a child.

You can't say you take your morality from the old Testament and then proclaim incest a sin... it's contradictory.

It isn't so much about it being out of the ordinary, it is taking something and using it for something other than its original intention. It is for two people to deepen their intimacy towards one another. It is a love that you have only for that one other person. It cannot be distributed among multiple people. Nobody can serve two masters. Of course you can be really, really good mates with somebody of the same gender and you can have a friendship like no other. How does that justify sexual implications towards the same gender? It doesn't. Not back then, not now and not ever.
Feb 1 2015 09:14am
Quote (CPK001 @ 1 Feb 2015 13:26)
One attribute to marriage is called communication. The female may say "I want a baby!" The male can say "yes" or "no." The male in that case would have to raise the baby if he agreed to have one. This would be where we define the roles of the family members but I'll leave it at that. So one can have sex outside of marriage and choose to raise the baby as a couple. So that means they might as well get married right? In that scenario there is one small problem: If one gives in to moral temptation before marriage, what’s to stop him or her from giving in to moral temptation once married?

Here is the Australian Marriage Act 1961: http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2013C00164

“Marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.”;

So there must be some good reason why the Marriage Act defines marriage as the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others.
Also why a man with another man or a woman with another woman is not recognised as a marriage in Australia.

I guess you'll want me to redeem that part then yes?

So was their reasons for having an open relationship to fulfill their own desires? Sex outside of marriage is impure and immoral and known as committing adultery. A marriage is a man and woman becoming one flesh. If there are multiple fleshes involved the love is divided you cannot love one another fully.

As for friends of the people involved. Your friend ruins their marriage with an affair, why don't you care? Why do you not care that your friend's life is at peril? What kind of friend are you if you do not care for them? If you see them heading towards danger, would you not stop them? Would you not help them?

Oh and it is called a reputation, what are they known by if they did that terrible thing? Think of the other victim, their heart is broken. Yet "Who gives a shit?"

It isn't so much about it being out of the ordinary, it is taking something and using it for something other than its original intention. It is for two people to deepen their intimacy towards one another. It is a love that you have only for that one other person. It cannot be distributed among multiple people. Nobody can serve two masters. Of course you can be really, really good mates with somebody of the same gender and you can have a friendship like no other. How does that justify sexual implications towards the same gender? It doesn't. Not back then, not now and not ever.

I think we're done here. Your whole worldview is moronic.

Gold: 152.00
Feb 1 2015 12:02pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Feb 1 2015 08:26am)

I did not mention anything about marriage. I merely said that homosexual sex isn't intrinsically morally wrong.
Feb 1 2015 06:57pm
Quote (Scaly @ Feb 2 2015 01:14am)
I think we're done here. Your whole worldview is moronic.

It is because you know I'm right.

Quote (Voyaging @ Feb 2 2015 04:02am)
I did not mention anything about marriage. I merely said that homosexual sex isn't intrinsically morally wrong.

Name one thing you associate with marriage - sex. Name one thing you associate with sex - marriage.

It is a two way implication.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1343536373841Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll