d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Forced Vaccinations For Children?
Prev1333435363747Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 11,407.33
Feb 26 2015 04:39am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 26 2015 04:36am)
Santy thinks he has rights regardless of if they are written down and protected.

Yes.

So you believe we only have rights to life and liberty if the government says so? Thats sad really.
Gold: 8,933.00
Feb 26 2015 05:11am
Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 25 2015 06:30pm)
So then how do you know you have a right if there's nothing that happens when I violate it when you can't defend it.

Seems like a meaningless distinction if nothing happens when I or nature violate it.

Why is it any different than if the government fails to protect a right? I presume you'll at least acknowledge that the government doesn't always protect rights.

Quote (duffman316 @ Feb 25 2015 06:41pm)
by who?

also you still haven't answered my earlier question

do your rights have a meaningful existence if there is nothing in place to guarantee them?

Most certainly they do.

Let me put the gist of your question back to you: Does your life have a meaningful existence if there is nothing in place to guarantee you can live?

Quote (BardOfXiix @ Feb 25 2015 06:47pm)
It is a pretty good shot at making a 'most win/few lose' ruling on issues. The problem with it (just like utilitarianism) is that it is impossible to actually implement in real life.

Impossible, yes. So let's not pretend that we're doing so anyways. Most win/few lose, well what about the people who don't accept the odds?

Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 25 2015 07:23pm)
Were talking about rights not guaranteed by the state specifically

We aren't?

Quote (Thor123422 @ Feb 26 2015 03:36am)
Santy thinks he has rights regardless of if they are written down and protected.

You know, there was a whole group of people who helped found this country who felt the same way. They even write about them in the history books as opposing the Bill of Rights because they didn't think rights needed to be enumerated at all. People already had their rights, what was the point of listing them?
Gold: 285.00
Feb 26 2015 05:40am
Quote (cambovenzi @ Feb 26 2015 05:39am)
Yes.

So you believe we only have rights to life and liberty if the government says so? Thats sad really.

Some of us live in the world that is, and not the magical world that ought to be.

A right is an expectation to be treated a certain way, and therefore a matter between equals.

Natural rights? Go to the slaughterhouse and tell the animals there that they have natural rights :lol:

Quote (Santara @ Feb 26 2015 06:11am)
Why is it any different than if the government fails to protect a right? I presume you'll at least acknowledge that the government doesn't always protect rights.

Government =/= social contract. Even if we dissolved government we would still have society, and rights insofar as we agree to have them amongst ourselves, which would require all of us to act a certain way.

Nature is a construct, rights are a construct, natural rights doubly so.

This post was edited by Skinned on Feb 26 2015 05:45am
Gold: 0.00
Feb 26 2015 05:57am
Quote (cambovenzi @ 26 Feb 2015 10:39)
Yes.

The3 opposite of what I believe makes me sad. That's why I believe it. Because the truth is whatever makes me happiest. Have you seen my Unicorn stable? I own several. We take baths in gummy bears together.
Feb 26 2015 06:16am
Or we can examine the notion that rights don't exist for all creatures, just humans. When did they come about on the timetable of evolution? Did our most recent genetic ancestor have rights? If so why were there no mention of them until the 1700's? If they did then when did they come into being on the genetic timeline? And when the homo sapient evolves into something else eventually will their rights go away or change?

It seems like tying rights to nature inextricably puts you in a position that ties the idea with Rights with evolution, and then you're left to decide what steps of evolution is necessary for the idea of right to exist....does one only need to be able to imagine the world that ought to be to imagine a concept of right? Well that would be a purely human creation, with human rules and human justifications.

Can rights exist independent of a government? Theoretically yes, as long as there were bonds within the society that could require people to act a certain way without the use of violence, but we can't fall back on anything like rational self-interest when dealing with animals like us though, especially given our violent natures and all the repressed violent urges that go on under the social contract...violent sports and war only takes us far enough in satisfying these urges and some people can't participate in those things.

This post was edited by Skinned on Feb 26 2015 06:18am
Gold: 0.76
Feb 26 2015 06:54am
Quote (Skinned @ 26 Feb 2015 07:16)
Or we can examine the notion that rights don't exist for all creatures, just humans. When did they come about on the timetable of evolution? Did our most recent genetic ancestor have rights? If so why were there no mention of them until the 1700's? If they did then when did they come into being on the genetic timeline? And when the homo sapient evolves into something else eventually will their rights go away or change?

It seems like tying rights to nature inextricably puts you in a position that ties the idea with Rights with evolution, and then you're left to decide what steps of evolution is necessary for the idea of right to exist....does one only need to be able to imagine the world that ought to be to imagine a concept of right? Well that would be a purely human creation, with human rules and human justifications.

Can rights exist independent of a government? Theoretically yes, as long as there were bonds within the society that could require people to act a certain way without the use of violence, but we can't fall back on anything like rational self-interest when dealing with animals like us though, especially given our violent natures and all the repressed violent urges that go on under the social contract...violent sports and war only takes us far enough in satisfying these urges and some people can't participate in those things.

at bolded Seeing how we are human and discussing about how we should or would "get along" with other humans at this point in our specie's development why is this assumption wrong? Why not work within the boundaries we are given?

Do you really place such little hope in your fellow man to be able to have such low capacity to hold onto a base knowledge of right and wrong? For others to want to act civilly? Or is it in yourself where the faith fails do you fear that you wouldn't adhere to the most basic concepts of right and wrong without a government to scare you into behaving that way? If you answer no to the last then why do you feel that you are that much superior to your neighbor?
Feb 26 2015 07:53am
Quote (Skinned @ Feb 26 2015 05:40am)
Government =/= social contract. Even if we dissolved government we would still have society, and rights insofar as we agree to have them amongst ourselves, which would require all of us to act a certain way.

Nature is a construct, rights are a construct, natural rights doubly so.

@ bold: You could have fooled me, especially considering how government invariably arises as the means to upholding rights with all the statists around here.

@ red: is that not the definition of natural rights?

Quote (Skinned @ Feb 26 2015 06:16am)

I think you're hung up on a misconception regarding what natural rights are. A natural right isn't something you expect out of the wild, dog-eat-dog competition for survival found out IN nature. I suggest you take a gander at the wiki on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights
Feb 26 2015 09:20am
Quote (Santara @ Feb 26 2015 08:53am)
@ bold: You could have fooled me, especially considering how government invariably arises as the means to upholding rights with all the statists around here.

@ red: is that not the definition of natural rights?

I think you're hung up on a misconception regarding what natural rights are. A natural right isn't something you expect out of the wild, dog-eat-dog competition for survival found out IN nature. I suggest you take a gander at the wiki on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_and_legal_rights

Natural rights are those not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of any particular culture or government, and therefore universal and inalienable (i.e., rights that cannot be repealed or restrained by human laws).

An example would be helpful.
Gold: 500.00
Feb 26 2015 09:49am
Quote (Santara @ Feb 26 2015 06:11am)

Most certainly they do.

Let me put the gist of your question back to you: Does your life have a meaningful existence if there is nothing in place to guarantee you can live?

well for however long you are alive before you die and in some cases well beyond your death your life would still have some meaning
Feb 26 2015 10:12am
Quote (Skinned @ Feb 26 2015 09:20am)
An example would be helpful.

We can start with the easy stuff. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Let me ask you this: do you believe that the concept of negative rights is a valid concept?

Quote (duffman316 @ Feb 26 2015 09:49am)
well for however long you are alive before you die and in some cases well beyond your death your life would still have some meaning

Well there you go. Thank you.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1333435363747Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll