d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread
Prev1320632073208320932105001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Sep 15 2019 07:02pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 15 2019 08:00pm)
An unnaturally rapid change in the local climate of densely populated places is a huge problem. I'm totally against the hysteria and the calls for leftist pipedreams surrounding climate change, but outright denying that there's a substantial problem is just moronic.

Thing is, the reason the solutions are hysteria and pipedreams is because when you ignore a problem for 30 years it tends to get worse, and what would have been mild action starting 30-50 years ago must now be fairly drastic to have the same mediating effect.

Quote (ChrisKz @ Sep 15 2019 07:24pm)
You guys are amazing at twisting things when people make general statements, and using it to insult them and make it seem as if you are actually intelligent in the field that you are talking about.

I also find it crazy that people think the world is going to drastically change in the next 50 years. At worst there will be higher sea levels, the temperatures will fluctuate a little bit, and there may be more rain in some areas and more dryness in some areas. But guess what, climate changes. Those arid deserts may have been home to great forests, and those tropical paradises may have been under water at some point.

No need to act all crazy and superior( rolling your eyes out of pleasure) out of twisting some man's words to make him seem as dumb as you possibly can.

I'm not surprised in the least to find you defending the person universally agreed to be the dumbest person on the forum.

I'm also not surprised to find another issue you are willing to talk authoritatively about while not having done even the most basic research.

Gold: 0.00
Sep 15 2019 07:09pm
Quote (ChrisKz @ Sep 15 2019 05:24pm)
You guys are amazing at twisting things when people make general statements, and using it to insult them and make it seem as if you are actually intelligent in the field that you are talking about.

I also find it crazy that people think the world is going to drastically change in the next 50 years. At worst there will be higher sea levels, the temperatures will fluctuate a little bit, and there may be more rain in some areas and more dryness in some areas. But guess what, climate changes. Those arid deserts may have been home to great forests, and those tropical paradises may have been under water at some point.

No need to act all crazy and superior( rolling your eyes out of pleasure) out of twisting some man's words to make him seem as dumb as you possibly can.

first you state that you think its crazy people suspect the world will change drastically. Then you go on and make your own statements about what will come, as if now you are the expert on climate science...
Gold: 21.93
Sep 15 2019 07:12pm
Just going to go with the science like I do with everything, science never steers me wrong.
Gold: 4,404.67
Sep 15 2019 07:16pm
Quote (Ghot)

golfers also really like their phallic trophies:

Quote (Thor123422 @ 16 Sep 2019 03:02)
Thing is, the reason the solutions are hysteria and pipedreams is because when you ignore a problem for 30 years it tends to get worse, and what would have been mild action starting 30-50 years ago must now be fairly drastic to have the same mediating effect.

I gotta disagree here. Barring a technological breakthrough, we still dont have any idea on how to provide the base load in our power grids without relying on fossils or nuclear power. And even if the whole world became "ecologically woke", it wouldnt change the fact that the sustainable per head consumption would shrink with a growing population.

Humanity hasnt adressed climate change yet not out of ignorance or negligence, it has done so because the only ways we currently know to "save" the climate would imply a sharp decline in the standard of living and rigorous population control to a degree that can only be achieved via neocolonialization. No matter its stage, an honest debate about climate change will always bring up huge distributional conflicts and ethical dilemmas. This was true 30 years ago just as much as it is true now.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Sep 15 2019 07:16pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Sep 15 2019 07:17pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Sep 15 2019 09:12pm)
Just going to go with the science like I do with everything, science never steers me wrong.

...and does that "science" tell you Kavanaugh is guilty too? You're not going with science, you're going with popular opinion. Learn the difference.
Gold: 21.93
Sep 15 2019 07:18pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 16 2019 11:16am)
golfers also really like their phallic trophies:

https://live.staticflickr.com/9/12215125_a5e815eee9.jpg

I gotta disagree here. Barring a technological breakthrough, we still dont have any idea on how to provide the base load in our power grids without relying on fossils or nuclear power. And even if the whole world became "ecologically woke", it wouldnt change the fact that the sustainable per head consumption would shrink with a growing population.

Humanity hasnt adressed climate change yet not out of ignorance or negligence, it has done so because the only ways we currently know to "save" the climate would imply a sharp decline in the standard of living and rigorous population control to a degree that can only be achieved via neocolonialization. No matter its stage, an honest debate about climate change will always bring up huge distributional conflicts and ethical dilemmas. This was true 30 years ago just as much as it is true now.

Big oil started the nuclear hatred band wagon.
Gold: 1.73
Sep 15 2019 07:21pm
Quote (GodSmiter @ 15 Sep 2019 21:09)
first you state that you think its crazy people suspect the world will change drastically. Then you go on and make your own statements about what will come, as if now you are the expert on climate science...

I made a claim of a gradual change, not an instantaneous one.

This post was edited by ChrisKz on Sep 15 2019 07:22pm
Sep 15 2019 07:26pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Sep 15 2019 08:16pm)

If we had pumped more money into renewable technology 50 years ago solar panels would have outpaced coal decades ago, and the problem wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is now. You're thinking with the mindset that investments don't compound heavily over time, we could have made the investment a lifetime ago and be reaping the rewards now, but we didn't so the idea that we could have ever made the investment is hard to imagine.
Sep 15 2019 07:27pm
Quote (ChrisKz @ Sep 15 2019 08:21pm)
I made a claim of a gradual change, not an instantaneous one.

Yeah, and you're wrong. We're going to see some pretty big changes. It's a virtual certainty that the northern ice caps won't be around for anywhere near another 50 years at this point, for example.
Gold: 4,404.67
Sep 15 2019 07:30pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 16 Sep 2019 03:26)
If we had pumped more money into renewable technology 50 years ago solar panels would have outpaced coal decades ago, and the problem wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is now. You're thinking with the mindset that investments don't compound heavily over time, we could have made the investment a lifetime ago and be reaping the rewards now, but we didn't so the idea that we could have ever made the investment is hard to imagine.

This would surely have improved the efficiency of solar panels, yes. But the ability to store a surplus of solar power across seasons would still hinge on a technological breakthrough. Perhaps earlier investment into these technologies would have led to this breakthrough, but there's no guarantee for that. Could have just as well ended with billions in investment into a technology which is nice to have, but still limited to a supporting role in the overall energy mix.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1320632073208320932105001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll