d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Iran Boogaloo
Prev1313233343583Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 8,933.00
Jan 6 2020 04:52pm
Quote (thundercock @ Jan 6 2020 04:44pm)
I mean, I think he used a thesaurus there...

Those particular terms, he uses ad nauseum.
Gold: 260.11
Jan 6 2020 05:03pm
Quote (excellence @ Jan 6 2020 04:51pm)
we could let people like you fight over missouri again but no matter what you’re the fella who is on subsidy lmao, pathetic..

Cant stop riding my dick

SAD!
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 6 2020 05:07pm
Quote (Skinned @ 6 Jan 2020 22:34)
Iran has to develop the bomb now :/

Quote (thesnipa @ 6 Jan 2020 23:36)
they could just like, be happy with running an oppressive shitty regime of crushed peasants and enjoy the unifying gift Trump gave them to squash protests.

pretty sure no one in iran is happy with the crippling sanctions imposed on them by america, or the fact that practically every political, religious, or military leader is just a tweet away from being assassinated.

as much as i hate the prospect of even more shitty regimes having access to nuclear weapons, i can certainly understand the rationale behind iran's desire to have them. considering america's history and presence in the region, only mutually assured destruction seems to be an effective deterrent. they don't seem to care about treaties or democratically elected leaders.

for those wondering how iran became a shitty authoritarian theocracy, maybe a little history lesson could help. i'd suggest starting in 1953...

Gold: 2,504.69
Jan 6 2020 05:12pm
Quote (fender @ Jan 6 2020 05:07pm)
pretty sure no one in iran is happy with the crippling sanctions imposed on them by america, or the fact that practically every political, religious, or military leader is just a tweet away from being assassinated.

as much as i hate the prospect of even more shitty regimes having access to nuclear weapons, i can certainly understand the rationale behind iran's desire to have them. considering america's history and presence in the region, only mutually assured destruction seems to be an effective deterrent. they don't seem to care about treaties or democratically elected leaders.

for those wondering how iran became a shitty authoritarian theocracy, maybe a little history lesson could help. i'd suggest starting in 1953...

I think Iran is making the foolish calculation that if they follow North Korea's lead they'll get the same result. the Hedgehog approach, no one fears a hedgehog, but no one approaches it either.

however, North Korea has less natural resources by most estimates, has a massive amount of conventional artillery pointed at the south, has Chinese backing on their only other border, is within concievable range of American friendly targets or america itself, etc.

Whereas Iran has far more points of entry, less conventional artillery, and close neighbors that dont have the same backing mentality China has towards NK. They can't get a nuke to us or a Japan-esque target other than Israel. with whom they share a massive number of holy religious sites. and Israel may be able to shoot down a nuke that they launch, not enough is known to say what would even happen.

I don't see a nuke as the same sort of deterrant to war that North Korea has.
Gold: 17,400.00
Jan 6 2020 05:28pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 6 2020 05:48pm)
The problems began with western powers carving up geopolitically distinct areas into territories after WW1. A western power stomping them would just be the same thing over again. Honestly we should probably eliminate most governments and let the people reestablish their own countries. But thats not profitable for western powers so we won't.

i doubt any of these problems relate to any of that.like i stated in previous post was based upon politics and greed. united states i believe back in 1995-96 supplied a shit ton of weapons to literally half the middle east for obvious reasons then shit obviously turned against the U.S. at the end of the day we cannot have the middle east unregulated/unchecked and free to do what they want. especially cannot have any of them nuclear capable. i dont know about you but id rather step on the wasp before it has a chance to sting me.

This post was edited by kalelvszod on Jan 6 2020 05:29pm
Jan 6 2020 05:38pm
Quote (kalelvszod @ Jan 6 2020 05:28pm)
i doubt any of these problems relate to any of that.like i stated in previous post was based upon politics and greed. united states i believe back in 1995-96 supplied a shit ton of weapons to literally half the middle east for obvious reasons then shit obviously turned against the U.S. at the end of the day we cannot have the middle east unregulated/unchecked and free to do what they want. especially cannot have any of them nuclear capable. i dont know about you but id rather step on the wasp before it has a chance to sting me.

There are many problems that directly stem from those events even today. The history of WWI is far more interesting than WW2 IMO. Much further reaching consequences (as one of its consequences was WWII.) It was the death throes of the old world and its monarchs.

I find it interesting that you cite a huge problem originating from the US providing weapons then conclude that the middle east being free from us would be a problem. Radical Islam for example was a direct result of our own pushing for the radicalization of the region so they would resist Russia. Seems to me that the long term problems have largely been our creation.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 6 2020 05:41pm
Quote (thesnipa @ 7 Jan 2020 00:12)
I think Iran is making the foolish calculation that if they follow North Korea's lead they'll get the same result. the Hedgehog approach, no one fears a hedgehog, but no one approaches it either.

however, North Korea has less natural resources by most estimates, has a massive amount of conventional artillery pointed at the south, has Chinese backing on their only other border, is within concievable range of American friendly targets or america itself, etc.

Whereas Iran has far more points of entry, less conventional artillery, and close neighbors that dont have the same backing mentality China has towards NK. They can't get a nuke to us or a Japan-esque target other than Israel. with whom they share a massive number of holy religious sites. and Israel may be able to shoot down a nuke that they launch, not enough is known to say what would even happen.

I don't see a nuke as the same sort of deterrant to war that North Korea has.

100% agreed, i still think it's their main motivation.
Jan 6 2020 05:46pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 6 2020 06:38pm)
There are many problems that directly stem from those events even today. The history of WWI is far more interesting than WW2 IMO. Much further reaching consequences (as one of its consequences was WWII.) It was the death throes of the old world and its monarchs.

I find it interesting that you cite a huge problem originating from the US providing weapons then conclude that the middle east being free from us would be a problem. Radical Islam for example was a direct result of our own pushing for the radicalization of the region so they would resist Russia. Seems to me that the long term problems have largely been our creation.

again you make good points but i disagree with you except for one thing (bolded) and thats our gov'ts ignoring a snowball thats been going downhill gaining mass and speed but soon is gonna hit a wall and explode.
Jan 6 2020 05:52pm
Quote (kalelvszod @ Jan 6 2020 05:46pm)
again you make good points but i disagree with you except for one thing (bolded) and thats our gov'ts ignoring a snowball thats been going downhill gaining mass and speed but soon is gonna hit a wall and explode.

Everything I said was a fact except the part that I specified as opinion.
Jan 6 2020 05:55pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ Jan 6 2020 06:52pm)
Everything I said was a fact except the part that I specified as opinion.

again not disagreeing with you but i think this whole conversation is just based upon opinion we will never truly know the direct causes but as long as we know our history we can better understand the matter at hand
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1313233343583Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll