d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Immigration, Etc... > And Illegal Immigrants
Prev1313233343577Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5.77
May 24 2018 05:21pm
Quote (Ghot @ May 24 2018 03:42pm)
A border wall would be 1000 times more effective that California border ...guards.

/e just recently, a couple of hundred Central America refugees show up at the California border. Refugees that the President of the US said "You shall not pass".

What does California do... "Come on in".

There's an ocean right there, btw.
Gold: 10,485.00
May 24 2018 05:24pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ May 24 2018 07:20pm)
the funny thing is that in the 90s, californians actually voted in favor of the anti-immigration proposition 187. and what happened? right, this happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_187

so when it came to regulating or reducing illegal immigration, it was the - then liberal - federal government who had the exclusive right to control immigration according to californian judges. nowadays, according to the californian courts, the - now conservative - federal government is viewed as powerless to enact immigration regulations against the wishes of the - now liberal, pro-immigration - californian state.

it's absurd and a travesty.

Yep, yep.
Jun 4 2018 04:18pm

U.S. high court throws out immigrant teen abortion ruling

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-abortion-immigrant/u-s-high-court-throws-out-immigrant-teen-abortion-ruling-idUSKCN1J01RB

The justices provided a legal victory to Trump’s administration even though the teenager already has had the abortion because it eliminated a precedent at the federal appeals court level that could have applied in similar circumstances in which other detained minors sought abortions.

Fuckin eh. Healthcare just got a teeny bit cheaper for legal persons in the US.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 4 2018 05:18pm
so i wonder what's up with this fence in san diego the "anti-climbing" wall just curious to see what it looks like done
Jun 7 2018 05:26pm

Exclusive: U.S. sending 1,600 immigration detainees to federal prisons

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-prisons-exclusive/exclusive-u-s-sending-1600-immigration-detainees-to-federal-prisons-idUSKCN1J32W1

ICE spokeswoman Dani Bennett said ICE is “working to meet the demand for additional immigration detention space” due to a surge in illegal border crossings and a U.S. Department of Justice zero-tolerance policy.

“To meet this need, ICE is collaborating with the U.S. Marshals Service (USMS), the Bureau of Prisons (BOP), private detention facility operators and local government agencies,” she said in a statement to Reuters.

In April 2018, nearly 51,000 people were apprehended at or near the southern border, up from about 16,000 in the same month a year earlier.

A new agreement between ICE and the Justice Department makes about 1,600 prison beds available and is expected to last 120 days, giving ICE time to secure more space for detainees. It comes amid a crackdown by Attorney General Jeff Sessions on both illegal border crossings and people seeking asylum.

Jun 8 2018 04:31pm

Exclusive: Nearly 1,800 families separated at U.S.-Mexico border in 17 months through February

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-children-exclusive/exclusive-nearly-1800-families-separated-at-u-s-mexico-border-in-17-months-through-february-idUSKCN1J42UE

In May, U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced a ‘zero tolerance’ policy in which all those apprehended entering the United States illegally would be criminally charged, which generally leads to children being separated from their parents.

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) official testified last month to Congress that between May 6 and May 19, 658 children were separated from 638 parents because of the stepped-up prosecutions. That brings the total of officially acknowledged separations to more than 2,400, though that does not include recent weeks or the period from March 1 to May 6.

Immigration and child advocates, Democratic lawmakers and the United Nations have all condemned the practice of separating families at the border, but the administration has defended its actions saying it is protecting children and making clear that illegal border crossers will be prosecuted regardless of their family circumstances.

In most of the 1,768 cases of families separated by border agents between October 2016 and February, children were removed from parents for medical reasons or because of security concerns, the official said, citing examples such as parents needing hospitalization or officials discovering the parent had a criminal record either in the United States or in their home country.

In 237 cases, the official said, children were removed because border agents suspected adults were falsely posing as the parents of minors in their charge.

Gold: 4,404.67
Jun 8 2018 11:07pm
Quote (Ghot @ 9 Jun 2018 00:31)

MBison-yes.gif
Jun 11 2018 07:20pm

U.S. attorney general curbs asylum for immigrant victims of violence

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-asylum/u-s-attorney-general-curbs-asylum-for-immigrant-victims-of-violence-idUSKBN1J7246

The decision to refuse asylum to the Salvadoran woman, whose former husband raped and beat her for 15 years, narrows who can qualify for asylum when they become victims of criminal activity, as opposed to government persecution.

Sessions’ finding followed his unusual move to intervene personally in the case known as the “Matter of A-B-.” The woman, who is only identified by her initials, had won an appeal to the Board of Immigration Appeals, which had overturned a lower immigration court judge’s denial of her asylum petition.

“In reaching these conclusions, I do not minimize the vile abuse that the respondent reported she suffered at the hands of her ex-husband,” Sessions wrote in his order.

“I understand that many victims of domestic violence may seek to flee from their home countries to extricate themselves from a dire situation or to give themselves the opportunity for a better life,” he continued. “But the ‘asylum statute is not a general hardship statute,’” he said, citing an earlier immigration case.

I think Sessions has the right of this. Abuse by the govt. is one thing, just any old problem, is quite another thing.
I can see the preparation, before Sessions ruling. Ok honey, I'm all packed, please beat me senseless and I'll be on my way.

Without Sessions ruling today, what would be next? I've stubbed my toes I need asylum.
Gold: 28,296.75
Jun 11 2018 07:39pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 11 2018 06:20pm)
U.S. attorney general curbs asylum for immigrant victims of violence

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-asylum/u-s-attorney-general-curbs-asylum-for-immigrant-victims-of-violence-idUSKBN1J7246

I think Sessions has the right of this. Abuse by the govt. is one thing, just any old problem, is quite another thing.
I can see the preparation, before Sessions ruling. Ok honey, I'm all packed, please beat me senseless and I'll be on my way.

Without Sessions ruling today, what would be next? I've stubbed my toes I need asylum.

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Jun 11 2018 07:49pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Jun 11 2018 09:39pm)
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Yawn. In case you hadn't realized, it's not the 1700-1800's anymore.
In case you don't know, we can't afford to feed, house, employ the entire world.

But you don't like the U.S. anyway, so why would you even try to be realistic.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1313233343577Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll