d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Official Political Picture Thread
Prev1316731683169317031715001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1.73
Aug 26 2019 11:46am
Quote (thesnipa @ 26 Aug 2019 13:40)
this type of logic is like saying you don't "get anything" out of negative numbers.

comparisons of how things are alike are just as valid as comparisons of how things are different. In the case of Trump-Reagan both comparisons are interesting. and both have a bevy of results.

in any case my point was "you can't compare those things" is an ignorant phrase, as it presupposes you can't compare differences, and can only compare similarities. it's a silly phrase people use to sound like they're saying something when in reality it's just filler trash.

It isn't ignorant. I just don't see why you would even want to compare Trump with Reagan in any way. Our society and culture is completely different now from then, even in the religious right. Comparing similarities and differences is going to come out with different answers now compared to doing it in his time.

I wouldn't call it unintelligent or ignorant to make that statement, instead I would say that it is knowing when to use information and which information to argue a point with.

At most, comparing them would be a good way to notice which trends and cultural influences make a president marketable to a population during different times, and what changes and what doesn't.

This post was edited by ChrisKz on Aug 26 2019 11:48am
Gold: Locked
Aug 26 2019 11:48am
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 26 2019 10:45am)
when held up to my actual weaknesses, there is no comparison.

Right but now I have the power to irk you on the internet. The most essential power of all.
Gold: 2,504.69
Aug 26 2019 11:52am
Quote (ChrisKz @ Aug 26 2019 12:46pm)
It isn't ignorant. I just don't see why you would even want to compare Trump with Reagan in any way. Our society and culture is completely different now from then, even in the religious right. Comparing similarities and differences is going to come out with different answers now compared to doing it in his time.

I wouldn't call it unintelligent or ignorant to make that statement, instead I would say that it is knowing when to use information and which information to argue a point with.

you're looking at it from a defensive standpoint, rather than a scientific one. when a study doesn't return the expected result it's still a successful study. all of the conclusions your post correctly addresses are a reason to compare them in the first place. and here's where it gets a bit embarrassing tbh, showing that they're in different times and therefore not perfectly transferable in validity IS a comparison. so you're comparing them to show why they shouldn't be compared. this is all of course basic english and you have a bachelors degree in that.

shitty journalists and sports athletes started using the phrase "there is no comparison" in an egotistical manner, it's not proper english it's just an attention grabbing say-nothing phrase.

i only point this out to english as a 2nd language posters (who might not know better) and english majors (who should know better).

Quote (Testiclese @ Aug 26 2019 12:48pm)
Right but now I have the power to irk you on the internet. The most essential power of all.

sadly you gave up the only power you had, the element of surprise. :rofl:
Gold: Locked
Aug 26 2019 11:54am
Quote (thesnipa @ Aug 26 2019 10:52am)
you're looking at it from a defensive standpoint, rather than a scientific one. when a study doesn't return the expected result it's still a successful study. all of the conclusions your post correctly addresses are a reason to compare them in the first place. and here's where it gets a bit embarrassing tbh, showing that they're in different times and therefore not perfectly transferable in validity IS a comparison. so you're comparing them to show why they shouldn't be compared. this is all of course basic english and you have a bachelors degree in that.

shitty journalists and sports athletes started using the phrase "there is no comparison" in an egotistical manner, it's not proper english it's just an attention grabbing say-nothing phrase.

i only point this out to english as a 2nd language posters (who might not know better) and english majors (who should know better).

I will wait and disguise it well. You will forget about this, I will craft a masterpiece in my trollforge as I chant Eldritch incantations, and you will first feel slightly peeved, then foolish as you realize what I have done.
Gold: 1.73
Aug 26 2019 11:59am
Quote (thesnipa @ 26 Aug 2019 13:52)

Well, from a scientific standpoint you might have a point. But just because a turn of phrase has a nuanced meaning and a specific meaning doesn't mean you can call people ignorant. Usually they just mean it isn't' a good comparison, rather than you can't compare.

But I would never use that phrase in a formal paper, either.

This post was edited by ChrisKz on Aug 26 2019 12:00pm
Aug 26 2019 12:09pm
Quote (Testiclese @ Aug 26 2019 12:54pm)
I will wait and disguise it well. You will forget about this, I will craft a masterpiece in my trollforge as I chant Eldritch incantations, and you will first feel slightly peeved, then foolish as you realize what I have done.

Just name change again lol. it will take me a few posts to catch up.

Quote (ChrisKz @ Aug 26 2019 12:59pm)
Well, from a scientific standpoint you might have a point. But just because a turn of phrase has a nuanced meaning and a specific meaning doesn't mean you can call people ignorant. Usually they just mean it isn't' a good comparison, rather than you can't compare.

But I would never use that phrase in a formal paper, either.

any "nuanced meaning" that's actually a misnomer is a throwaway phrase to me.

when "there's no comparison" actually means "the comparison doesn't result in them being similar" it's just filler.

then again if "filler" was removed from Fender's posts they'd be 1/10th as long, if that.

"there's no comparison" is really a conversation ender without explaining why the conversation should end there. as you went on to point out the time differences and other aspects are valid differences.

that said you're still wrong IMO about Trump and Reagan not being comparable. Both Hollywood personalities that led populist uprisings for the Republican party. Both with widespread support in rust belt and bible belt communities. etc

they're also quite different, Nanci and Melania are incredibly unalike. Reagan swept the electoral collage, twice. Trump won on a narrow margin. They're different in their views on Russia (due to time). etc.

but all valid data for the discussion, both how they're alike and unalike.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Aug 26 2019 12:09pm
Gold: 4,404.67
Aug 26 2019 12:27pm
While their views on Russia differ, there is actually a striking similarity in their willingness to call out and bring the fight to the big geostrategic rival of the US at the respective time. Just like Reagan argued that we must not give a single inch to the Soviets, neither militarily nor ideologically, Trump is the president who really started bringing the fight to the Chinese, economically and also ideologically.
Aug 26 2019 12:29pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Aug 26 2019 01:27pm)
While their views on Russia differ, there is actually a striking similarity in their willingness to call out and bring the fight to the big geostrategic rival of the US at the respective time. Just like Reagan argued that we must not give a single inch to the Soviets, neither militarily nor ideologically, Trump is the president who really started bringing the fight to the Chinese, economically and also ideologically.

indeed. they have some uncanny similarities. the phrase "they cant be compared" irks me, but especially when even the ignorant meaning of the phrase is incorrect. they're comparatively similar in many ways.
Gold: 14,949.00
Aug 26 2019 03:10pm
Straight from the real interwebs... This is insane. This is a section of the KKK.

This post was edited by IchBinDaddy on Aug 26 2019 03:11pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Aug 26 2019 04:10pm

Typical left/lib/Dem politician/voter...

This post was edited by Ghot on Aug 26 2019 04:18pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1316731683169317031715001Next
Closed New Topic New Poll