d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1310231033104310531063169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 475.46
Jul 18 2019 09:55am
Quote (bogie160 @ Jul 17 2019 05:53pm)
If you're asking whether a bill that champions an anti-semitic cause will in itself end Israel, probably not, but that's really beside the point.

BDS asserts a right of return for ~5 million Palestinians and an end to Arab "discrimination". Israel already affords its Arab citizens full legal rights, so what they mean is an end to Israeli policies restricting immigration or otherwise asserting that Israel is a Jewish state.

Is it possible for a Jewish state to exist while simultaneously allowing the inflow of millions of Arabs? Probably not.

Everyone knows that Israel isnt totally innocent here.

I am not sure there is a good way forward for that area outside of external intervention. Whatever that looks like.
Gold: 319.37
Jul 18 2019 10:03am
Quote (Brian_D @ Jul 18 2019 11:55am)
Everyone knows that Israel isnt totally innocent here.

I am not sure there is a good way forward for that area outside of external intervention. Whatever that looks like.

Of course they're not totally innocent, no country is.

But there's a huge difference between calling a country out for perceived wrongs and supporting a movement that would destroy that country and its current inhabitants.

Has Israel committed some wrongs? Yes. Do all Israeli Jews deserve to die / flee? No.
Gold: 28,296.75
Jul 18 2019 10:08am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 18 2019 08:55am)
Of course it is ugly, of course it is going too far. But this was the forseeable reaction to decades of failed immigration policies which have led to cases like Ilhan Omar's.

And the only response you're getting from the other side is that any criticism of these conditions is racist, and that they are now publicly embracing open borders. It was inevitable that things would boil over sooner or later.

we have a real nasty history with the sort of thing that we saw last night

this is beyond immigration and it's beyond left vs right

Trump supporters always say MAGA isn't racist it's about the economy it's about this or it's about that but we have been watching it escalate and escalate and getting uglier and uglier. Trump is playing a part in something the right often claims we got over long ago

but it's not gone because there it is

chanting in red Maga hats send her back send her back with kids all around. If the brother thing ever materializes and goes main stream the hacks will say "see that's what we meant all along" no it's not, that's not what we see there

our past is haunting us but it's not a ghost it's actual people still with that same hatred and they feel emboldened

Imagine what it would feel like to be an elder within a minority community right now watching that, having gone through what they went though in this country when they were younger

Those that support that sort of thing or excuse it or minimize it or anything other than strongly condemn it should be ashamed of themselves
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 18 2019 10:19am
Quote (Beowulf @ 18 Jul 2019 18:08)

Trump supporters always say MAGA isn't racist it's about the economy it's about this or it's about that but we have been watching it escalate and escalate and getting uglier and uglier. Trump is playing a part in something the right often claims we got over long ago

chanting in red Maga hats send her back send her back with kids all around. If the brother thing ever materializes and goes main stream the hacks will say "see that's what we meant all along" no it's not, that's not what we see there

our past is haunting us but it's not a ghost it's actual people still with that same hatred and they feel emboldened

Imagine what it would feel like to be an elder within a minority community right now watching that, having gone through what they went though in this country when they were younger

Those that support that sort of thing or excuse it or minimize it or anything other than strongly condemn it should be ashamed of themselves

Well, Omar surely does everything in her power to make it easy to hate on her, doesnt she?

Again: I didnt like Trump's tweet, was one of the first in this thread to criticize him for it. I dont like the send her home chants, I dont like the optics this produces, I dont like the underlying message, I dont think it is smart strategy for Trump to tap that directly into anti-immigrant grievance.
Nonetheless, I can understand where this grievance is coming from, and I believe that it was inevitable that it would come to this, sooner or later.
Gold: 28,296.75
Jul 18 2019 10:21am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 18 2019 09:19am)
Well, Omar surely does everything in her power to make it easy to hate on her, doesnt she?

Again: I didnt like Trump's tweet, was one of the first in this thread to criticize him for it. I dont like the send her home chants, I dont like the optics this produces, I dont like the underlying message, I dont think it is smart strategy for Trump to tap that directly into anti-immigrant grievance.
Nonetheless, I can understand where this grievance is coming from, and I believe that it was inevitable that it would come to this, sooner or later.

she makes it's easy for the right to criticize her politically

the hate part is what many within the Trump base brought to the fight before it started

Jul 18 2019 10:25am
Quote (Beowulf @ Jul 18 2019 12:08pm)

When Omar played on the same racist stereotypes that got 6 million Jews killed, the Democratic party couldn't condemn it without pivoting towards broad based "hate" and talking up Islamophobia. Couldn't even bring themselves to mention her by name.

It's a two way street.
Gold: 22,164.69
Jul 18 2019 10:25am
Feels vs Reals.

The right says something that isn't politically correct or is vaguely racist and Beo gets his knickers in a twist
The left tacitly, or explicitly, endorses acts of terrorism and owns a string of felonies and frauds and gets exposed as rigging the media to suppress the truth, all while advancing a radical and anti-semitic agenda and joining arms with Hamas

What do you think is going through the heads of people wearing red hats and chanting "Send her back". Do you think its vicious hatred and murderous intent of brown shirts lining up to begin the next racial genocide, or is it sardonic mocking and intentional edginess by people, who if you asked them, would say they don't have a racist bone in their body either?

What do you think is going through the heads of the people in major media outlets who's job it is to be more informed than I am about stories like Ilhan Omar's immigration and marriage, who are fully aware of the facts, but choose to suppress the story and label anyone who talks about it racist, or ban them from social media for mentioning it?

Couldn't even bring themselves to mention her by name.

that just got a whole lot more problematic anyway, I'm not sure what name to use for her now

This post was edited by Goomshill on Jul 18 2019 10:27am
Gold: 2,009.99
Jul 18 2019 10:34am
The President won this one. What the President has done is politically brilliant. Pelosi was trying to marginalize these folks, & the President has now identified the entire party with them.

-Anonymous Democratic lawmaker
Jul 18 2019 10:37am
One Democrat told Tapper they were upset that the president had a resolution condemning his "go back" remark but that the House Democrats could not even write a resolution "condemning anti-Semitism" by Omar.

"Everybody was completely outraged by what the president said," a third lawmaker said. "And everybody thought it was appropriate to criticize him but this was the first time the House has taken action to criticize him in any way, We couldn't even bring ourselves to have a resolution exclusively condemning anti-Semitism uttered by one of those members [Omar] but we leapt to their defense here."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/democrats-tell-all-to-cnns-jake-tapper-about-ilhan-omar-fight-with-trump-the-president-won-this-one
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 18 2019 10:46am
Quote (Goomshill @ 18 Jul 2019 18:25)
What do you think is going through the heads of people wearing red hats and chanting "Send her back". Do you think its vicious hatred and murderous intent of brown shirts lining up to begin the next racial genocide, or is it sardonic mocking and intentional edginess [...]?

Well, yes, most of them wont think of racial genocide. But to be fair: I think that a non-negligible share of those who were chanting "send her back" do indeed think of large-scale deportations of tens of millions of people who came here either illegally, or based on fraud, or who came here perfectly legally but have refused to adopt "American values". Some of them would surely be open to the expatriation and subsequent deportation of US-born children of illegal immigrants as well.

And I think that while many Trump voters might not interpret his MAGA slogan as "Make America White Again" like the Dems claim, they do very well support an agenda of "preventing the demographic and cultural basis of White America from eroding even further".
Or to put it differently: they might not dream about going back to an America which was 85% non-hispanic white, but want to preserve the current ethnic staus quo as best as possible, in particular preventing the country from becoming majority-minority.

Sorry, but for at least a part of Trump's base, this runs deeper than just sardonic mocking or edginess.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 18 2019 10:55am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1310231033104310531063169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll