d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2016 > Trump Vs Clinton
Prev1309430953096309730983169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jul 16 2019 03:05pm
Quote (Beowulf @ 16 Jul 2019 17:21)

"I dont have a racist bone in my body" - every racist ever. :rofl:

He really didnt do himself any favors by invoking this trope.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 16 2019 03:07pm
Gold: 28,296.75
Jul 16 2019 03:13pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2019 02:05pm)

I'm just waiting for him to go full I have a black friend mode and just start posting 80s and 90s pics of him with minority celebs

Which would make me laugh

Gold: 22,720.48
Jul 16 2019 03:26pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Jul 16 2019 05:13pm)
I'm just waiting for him to go full I have a black friend mode and just start posting 80s and 90s pics of him with minority celebs

Which would make me laugh

Pence's chief of staff invoked Elaine Chao the other day already. So we're getting there.
Gold: 21.93
Jul 16 2019 03:29pm
Funny how a guy who has been sued for racism and lost can claim to not be racist.
Gold: 22,164.69
Jul 16 2019 03:50pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2019 04:05pm)

Not really. Its one of the things I really can't stand about the whole 'scream everyone is racist' form of impugning motives.
The actually racist people tend to be quite proudly racist. Cavity searching everyone for crypto-racism is no different than the old mccarthyist nonsense, it doesn't reflect on Hillary's actual beliefs and motivations if she once called someone a 'fucking jew bastard' or labeled black teens 'superpredators' in an obvious dog whistle. Does that mean she actually believes in racial superiority? No of course not. Nor does someone screaming profanities in a battle.net game when tilted doesn't make that their beliefs, or someone linking to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXkFMO4ixI

Actual racists are a pretty rare breed and they're easily distinguished. Look at the black guys who were heckling the covington catholic kids- they were obscenely racist and proud of it. The guys who showed up in klan robes to march in Dayton? Actual racists. Stormfront? Lol.

Impugning motives and weaponizing labels is just something people do when their arguments can't stand on their own merits. And that goes for both the actual racists, and the people seeing racists in their alphabet soup.
Jul 16 2019 03:59pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 16 Jul 2019 23:50)
Not really. Its one of the things I really can't stand about the whole 'scream everyone is racist' form of impugning motives.
The actually racist people tend to be quite proudly racist. Cavity searching everyone for crypto-racism is no different than the old mccarthyist nonsense, it doesn't reflect on Hillary's actual beliefs and motivations if she once called someone a 'fucking jew bastard' or labeled black teens 'superpredators' in an obvious dog whistle. Does that mean she actually believes in racial superiority? No of course not. Nor does someone screaming profanities in a battle.net game when tilted doesn't make that their beliefs, or someone linking to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXkFMO4ixI

Actual racists are a pretty rare breed and they're easily distinguished. Look at the black guys who were heckling the covington catholic kids- they were obscenely racist and proud of it. The guys who showed up in klan robes to march in Dayton? Actual racists. Stormfront? Lol.

Impugning motives and weaponizing labels is just something people do when their arguments can't stand on their own merits. And that goes for both the actual racists, and the people seeing racists in their alphabet soup.

All true, but there are more subtle and restrained forms of racists than just the full-blown ones who proudly wear their Klan robe in public. And Trump doing everything in his power to give his political opponents ammunition for the claim that he is a racist is still a blunder, irrespective from your very true criticism of this whole "everything is racist"-hysteria.

------------

I also dont buy into Trump's attempt to spin his initial tweet as some deliberate strategy with which he wanted the Democratic party to embrace the squad and all the batshit crazy things they stand for. This strategy would have made sense if and only if the feud between Pelosi and the squad would have ran its course and a "victory" for Pelosi would have been imminent. His tweet forced his opponents to bury the hatchet just when things started to get spicy and really damaging for them, so objectively, this was not good strategy by Trump. Him pretending otherwise is just a lame attempt at saving face.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 16 2019 04:00pm
Gold: 22,164.69
Jul 16 2019 04:18pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jul 16 2019 04:59pm)
All true, but there are more subtle and restrained forms of racists than just the full-blown ones who proudly wear their Klan robe in public.

No, there really aren't. Either they believe in racial supremacy or they don't. Using a racist trope or saying something racist doesn't make one believe in racial supremacy and change their belief structures.
If someone is 'subtle and restrained', then its a pretty safe bet that they aren't actually racist, just labeled it.

And Trump doing everything in his power to give his political opponents ammunition for the claim that he is a racist is still a blunder, irrespective from your very true criticism of this whole "everything is racist"-hysteria.

------------

I also dont buy into Trump's attempt to spin his initial tweet as some deliberate strategy with which he wanted the Democratic party to embrace the squad and all the batshit crazy things they stand for. This strategy would have made sense if and only if the feud between Pelosi and the squad would have ran its course and a "victory" for Pelosi would have been imminent. His tweet forced his opponents to bury the hatchet just when things started to get spicy and really damaging for them, so objectively, this was not good strategy by Trump. Him pretending otherwise is just a lame attempt at saving face.

The jury's still out on to what degree Trump had a plan here, versus fumbled it, versus fumbled it but then tried to recover with a plan. I'm guessing the last option.
There's always a method to his madness in the long run over the individual bumps, and he's pretty transparently trying to get the democrats to throw in with their most radical elements ahead of 2020, I mean he's openly stating that on his twitter so its not exactly a secret. Was making a dumb racist remark a part of that plan? Probably not his intention, but he'll work with it. But does the democrat infighting necessarily *help* Trump and would staying out of the fray have been better? The conventional wisdom is that when your opponent is making a mistake you don't interrupt them. But perhaps the 'divisions' between the four horsewomen and the rest of the party would actually serve the party better in 2020 than having thrown their support behind them.
Long term strategy I see only lose-lose options for the democrats, its just a question of which path is worse.
Gold: 28,296.75
Jul 16 2019 04:19pm
This goom sure can shill
Jul 16 2019 04:45pm
Quote (Goomshill @ 17 Jul 2019 00:18)
No, there really aren't. Either they believe in racial supremacy or they don't. Using a racist trope or saying something racist doesn't make one believe in racial supremacy and change their belief structures.
If someone is 'subtle and restrained', then its a pretty safe bet that they aren't actually racist, just labeled it.

Hmm, what about some white person who thinks that neither whites nor blacks are inherently born superior to the other, but that whites out of historic reasons occupy a higher spot in the social hierarchy, and that he likes it this way and wants it to stay this way out of egoistical motives, despite being aware that it is objectively injustice? Would you consider such a "nigga, know your place!"-type of person to be racist?

The jury's still out on to what degree Trump had a plan here, versus fumbled it, versus fumbled it but then tried to recover with a plan. I'm guessing the last option.
There's always a method to his madness in the long run over the individual bumps, and he's pretty transparently trying to get the democrats to throw in with their most radical elements ahead of 2020, I mean he's openly stating that on his twitter so its not exactly a secret. Was making a dumb racist remark a part of that plan? Probably not his intention, but he'll work with it. But does the democrat infighting necessarily *help* Trump and would staying out of the fray have been better? The conventional wisdom is that when your opponent is making a mistake you don't interrupt them. But perhaps the 'divisions' between the four horsewomen and the rest of the party would actually serve the party better in 2020 than having thrown their support behind them.
Long term strategy I see only lose-lose options for the democrats, its just a question of which path is worse.

I think when it comes to these strategic questions, we have to separate the interests of Pelosi from the presidential race. Pelosi's goal is to remain Speaker, and the by far largest threat to her in this regard is the Dems losing the House in 2020. Their House majority rests on the moderate Democrats from slightly Republican-leaning, suburban swing districts. It rests on the Abigail Spanbergers of this world, not on the AOCs. Hence, Pelosi has a strong interest in keeping her caucus away from far-left positions which would be a liability for the reelection campaigns of those crucial swing district members.

The squad, on the other hand, hold overwhelmingly Democratic seats, so making a name for themselves by pandering to the far-left activist base is the smart strategy for them, dito for the candidates in the presidential primaries.

In light of those conflicting goals, open division among the Democrats would help his reelection prospects, but reduce his chance of having the House to work with if he is reelected. However, since it seems safe to assume that #winning is more important to Trump than governing, his actions to me still seem like a net negative for him personally.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jul 16 2019 04:46pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Jul 16 2019 04:57pm
My left tibia is racist.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1309430953096309730983169Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll