d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Trump 2020 > Trump Vs. Pack O' Dems
Prev1304305306307308983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 10,485.00
Apr 1 2020 11:08am

And in the PaRD poll, Trump is.... winning!!
Gold: 6,061.70
Apr 1 2020 06:40pm
I will say Trump, but this COVID19 thing has that in doubt.

The #1 accomplishment of this administration has been the rollback of oodles of regulation and taxing that has allowed commerce to boom and markets to soar. With the hit the market is taking right now, and no realistic solution that doesn't involve removing people's liberty to live their own lives as they choose, Trump is going to take a huge hit, because all models come election day are going to show that the economy has tanked, the freedom index has tanked, and people are worse off than ever.

This is not a good moment for Trump, and though he and his administration are not at fault, they're the ones who're going to take the hit.
Gold: 2,617.52
Apr 1 2020 06:47pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Apr 1 2020 08:40pm)
I will say Trump, but this COVID19 thing has that in doubt.

The #1 accomplishment of this administration has been the rollback of oodles of regulation and taxing that has allowed commerce to boom and markets to soar. With the hit the market is taking right now, and no realistic solution that doesn't involve removing people's liberty to live their own lives as they choose, Trump is going to take a huge hit, because all models come election day are going to show that the economy has tanked, the freedom index has tanked, and people are worse off than ever.

This is not a good moment for Trump, and though he and his administration are not at fault, they're the ones who're going to take the hit.

Sleepy Joe would shit the bed, and bad. He barely can remember what WHO is.

This post was edited by EndlessSky on Apr 1 2020 06:48pm
Apr 1 2020 08:05pm

Pelosi wants 'vote by mail' provisions in next U.S. coronavirus bill

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-vote/pelosi-wants-vote-by-mail-provisions-in-next-u-s-coronavirus-bill-idUSKBN21J6D0

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Wednesday she wants to virus-proof the November election by including funding to boost voting by mail in the next pandemic response plan being put together by Democrats in the House of Representatives.

Pelosi said at least $2 billion, and ideally $4 billion, was needed to enable voting by mail, to give citizens a safe way to vote during the coronavirus pandemic, which has killed more than 4,300 people across the United States.

She noted Democrats got just $400 million for that purpose in the $2.3 trillion coronavirus stimulus bill President Donald Trump signed into law on Friday.

“Vote by mail is so important to ... our democracy so that people have access to voting and not be deterred, especially at this time, by the admonition to stay home,” Pelosi told reporters.

Trump told Fox News on Monday that voting by mail would hurt the Republican Party. Pelosi rejected that argument.

“When I was chair of the California Democratic party many years ago, the Republicans always prevailed in the absentee ballots,” she said. “They know how to do this.”

Indeed, some Democrats fear voting by mail could disenfranchise minorities and low-income voters who tend to move more frequently.

The $400 million in the recent coronavirus bill is intended to help state and local officials bolster vote by mail and early voting, expand facilities and hire more poll workers.

But Democrats want more money to prepare states for a possible surge in voting by mail in the fall as millions of voters are set to choose the nation’s next president on Nov. 3. Pelosi said the Postal Service also needs more money.

The coronavirus crisis has already upended the Democratic race to pick a challenger to face Trump.

Three states - Wyoming, Hawaii and Alaska - have scrapped in-person voting for Democratic primaries on April 4, and will only permit voting by mail. Ohio pushed back its March 17 voting, setting a new date of April 28 for a primary conducted almost completely by mail, and at least eight other states pushed their primaries back to May or June.

Democrats are putting together a fourth spending bill to battle the crisis, with an emphasis on infrastructure spending. Trump says he wants to rebuild infrastructure, but other Republicans have shown little interest, seeing it as an attempt to push through Democratic priorities.

Changing election laws has “nothing to do with our war against the disease,” House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy said in a statement Tuesday.

(Corrects date of Ohio primary to April 28 in third last paragraph.)

If anyone needs bull shit to fertilize their garden... here ya go.
Apr 1 2020 08:12pm
Quote (Ghot @ Apr 1 2020 07:05pm)
Pelosi wants 'vote by mail' provisions in next U.S. coronavirus bill

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-vote/pelosi-wants-vote-by-mail-provisions-in-next-u-s-coronavirus-bill-idUSKBN21J6D0

If anyone needs bull shit to fertilize their garden... here ya go.

I don't understand. Voting by mail has been a thing for longer than I've been alive. Why is this a problem, and why are billions needed to make something that already exists... Exist?

What am I missing here?
Gold: 22,720.48
Apr 1 2020 08:19pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Apr 1 2020 10:12pm)
I don't understand. Voting by mail has been a thing for longer than I've been alive. Why is this a problem, and why are billions needed to make something that already exists... Exist?

What am I missing here?

It's only available in select states, majority if not all republicans states are the ones that oppose it because they've admitted that when voter turn out is high, they lose. The bill is to provide the money to get it set up in states that don't have it already set up because it's not something you can just flip a switch and it happens.
Apr 1 2020 08:23pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Apr 1 2020 10:12pm)

What am I missing here?

Well, it's an idea from Pelosi, which makes it instantly suspect. But my major concern is voter fraud in this case.
On a much smaller scale, voting by mail is necessary and much harder to fake the identities of said voters.

Voting by mail on such a large (country wide) scale, will be a disaster. There is practically no way to assure the identities of voters if we ALL vote by mail.
Currently, most voting by mail is done by those out of the country or in the military. In both cases the identities of the voters are very easy to check. Military records, passports, etc.

Make this a country wide thing and voter fraud will become rampant. Just in 2018 we saw many instances were absentee ballots were seriously fiddled with, and turned out to be fake.
Currently, the Dems are the ones that are anti-voter ID. Switch to a vote by mail scenario, and they've pretty much assured that any amount of votes they need or want can be assured.
Verifying these mail in votes for everyone, will be a task to large to accomplish in any reasonable time.

/e Oh... and they need $4 billion to pay of the vote counters and ID verifiers.

This post was edited by Ghot on Apr 1 2020 08:27pm
Apr 1 2020 08:38pm
Quote (Arsenic_Touch @ Apr 1 2020 07:19pm)
It's only available in select states, majority if not all republicans states are the ones that oppose it because they've admitted that when voter turn out is high, they lose. The bill is to provide the money to get it set up in states that don't have it already set up because it's not something you can just flip a switch and it happens.

That doesn't sound true. If I superimpose 1 map over the other, there are plenty of red states that have mail in voting, and plenty of blue that don't.

All I really see when looking at the mail in map on which states have vs don't is that only a few states are mail-only (and with those, you can still deliver to drop areas, or at least could).

I still fail to understand why billions would be needed. There aren't billions of voters, and more states than not already have absentee systems in place.

I also question the idea that republicans lose when it comes to absentee ballots. What has been seen in Washington and Oregon for decades is that the turnout is greater for both sides, and as is normally the case, metropolitan areas tend to gain more blue votes, rural more red. That doesn't change whether it's in person or mail in. Arizona was the same (Arizona went to Trump, btw).

I can see a mail-only option being a huge problem though. Homelessness is not a viable excuse to prevent a person from voting. Likewise, living on a reservation. Or frequently moving due to socioeconomic concerns. Having "walk in" voting is pretty damned important for a fairly sizeable subset of the population, and overwhelmingly that subset actually votes blue rather than red.

As I said though, I'm more interested in why 2-4 billion would be needed to enlarge a system that already exists in more states than not.
Gold: 5,016.77
Apr 3 2020 08:53pm
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics/trump-fires-inspector-general-michael-atkinson/index.html

We're so deep into the "nothing matters" zeitgeist that I don't think people realize... Trump will be looked at in the history books as one of the most corrupt presidents ever. Kids in 50 years will be wondering why the American people tolerated it.
Apr 3 2020 09:00pm
Quote (IceMage @ Apr 3 2020 10:53pm)
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/politics/trump-fires-inspector-general-michael-atkinson/index.html

We're so deep into the "nothing matters" zeitgeist that I don't think people realize... Trump will be looked at in the history books as one of the most corrupt presidents ever. Kids in 50 years will be wondering why the American people tolerated it.

Jus' cleanin' the swamp.
Can't wait for Durham's report (late spring or early summer)

History will go down in History as the guy who... "took out the trash" in various depts. in the US govt.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1304305306307308983Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll