d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Andy Ngo
Prev1293031323372Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jul 3 2019 02:51pm
Quote (Brian_D @ 3 Jul 2019 20:46)
I didnt even know who this asshole was until this happened. His goal was achieved...

Yea. He has spent actual years trying to get this to happen and finally someone gave him what he wanted.
Gold: 11,407.33
Jul 3 2019 02:53pm
Quote (TransTankie @ Jul 3 2019 04:51pm)
Yea. He has spent actual years trying to get this to happen and finally someone gave him what he wanted.

and to think your comrades could have avoided this by not being violent human garbage? such a missed opportunity
Gold: 28,296.75
Jul 3 2019 02:53pm
Quote (Brian_D @ Jul 3 2019 01:46pm)
I didnt even know who this asshole was until this happened. His goal was achieved...

Unacceptable no matter who he was or how much he milks it. He is a victim of assault

Quote (TransTankie @ Jul 3 2019 01:50pm)
Yea. Privileged queer people who are now doing well for themselves.
If you have overcome oppression to be financially stable and have a supportive community around you you are relatively privileged compared to someone who hasn't reached those conditions.

That's why I used the term 'relatively' by the way.

They still live with it. That trauma doesnt go away. A nice house doesnt change it. A changing society doesnt take that away.

That was terrible treatment they went through. They are owed their voice in public no matter what they want to say. They were forced into silence for decades
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 3 2019 02:54pm
Quote (TransTankie @ Jul 3 2019 02:47pm)
Yea. They faced those issues and because they overcame them they feel that anyone can. It's the old bootstraps mentality.

Honestly it depends on where you are with regards to 'how hard' people have it. I'd say a trans person born into a conservative family that disowns them who ends up homeless and becomes sex worker as so many do probably has it about as hard. A trans person born into an accepting family has far more opportunities.

I suppose overall that it is more likely that your family will be accepting to a trans person now than a gay person in the 80s but that really only applies to the youngest trans people.

So overall probably... But on a case by case basis it could vary.

in a personal setting they're somewhat analogous. but aids is a factor trans people cant match on a social level.

but from societal standpoint the two are incomparable. gay men in the 80s were nothing but a running joke, with most of the punchlines being about them dropping like flies. imagine if every single stand up routine had jokes about trans suicide rates, rather than it just being the one-off hardly laughed at middle joke from an edgy alt right guy. they had no representation in movies or TV unless it was equally as mocking OR a hypersexualized deviant representation OR a predator of children. trans people have incredibly representation in media today, from kiddie gloves treatment by pandering outlets such as HuffPo to reality shows like I am Jazz and RuPaul's Drag Race (plz for the love of god dont give me a snarky actchuallllyyyyy about the differences between CDs and trans), mainstream representation of actresses such as in Orange is the New black and many gender fluid stars like Ruby Rose.

to be frank your reaction of a reluctant "probably" is one of the main reasons that gay narrative exists. they're fine with you guys not having to earn it as hard as they did, as long as you recognize that reality. the constant messaging implying you dont have a far shorter curve than they did, and incomparably so, causes a lot of resentment. same thing that drives TERF mentality in lesbians.
Gold: 475.46
Jul 3 2019 02:57pm
Quote (cambovenzi @ Jul 3 2019 01:50pm)
What makes you think getting attacked and having a brain hemorrhage was his goal? Because the attacks are receiving widespread attention and condemnation?

also do you realize how comments like this make you look?

I dont really care how I look on a gaming forum. I can smell a liar from 100 miles away. He was looking for this. Maybe not to this level. Probably thought he was going to just get a milk shake thrown at him but ended up getting his head knocked a few times.

I dont think violence is good but when some asshole goes out of the way to obtain fame, shit happens.

Gold: 83.30
Jul 3 2019 02:58pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jul 3 2019 08:54pm)
in a personal setting they're somewhat analogous. but aids is a factor trans people cant match on a social level.

but from societal standpoint the two are incomparable. gay men in the 80s were nothing but a running joke, with most of the punchlines being about them dropping like flies. imagine if every single stand up routine had jokes about trans suicide rates, rather than it just being the one-off hardly laughed at middle joke from an edgy alt right guy. they had no representation in movies or TV unless it was equally as mocking OR a hypersexualized deviant representation OR a predator of children. trans people have incredibly representation in media today, from kiddie gloves treatment by pandering outlets such as HuffPo to reality shows like I am Jazz and RuPaul's Drag Race (plz for the love of god dont give me a snarky actchuallllyyyyy about the differences between CDs and trans), mainstream representation of actresses such as in Orange is the New black and many gender fluid stars like Ruby Rose.

to be frank your reaction of a reluctant "probably" is one of the main reasons that gay narrative exists. they're fine with you guys not having to earn it as hard as they did, as long as you recognize that reality. the constant messaging implying you dont have a far shorter curve than they did, and incomparably so, causes a lot of resentment. same thing that drives TERF mentality in lesbians.

tl;dr Check that goddamn privilege.
Gold: 475.46
Jul 3 2019 02:58pm
Quote (Beowulf @ Jul 3 2019 01:53pm)
Unacceptable no matter who he was or how much he milks it. He is a victim of assault

They still live with it. That trauma doesnt go away. A nice house doesnt change it. A changing society doesnt take that away.

That was terrible treatment they went through. They are owed their voice in public no matter what they want to say. They were forced into silence for decades

Totally but he was looking for it imo. Got more than he bargained for.
Gold: 28,296.75
Jul 3 2019 03:02pm
Quote (Brian_D @ Jul 3 2019 01:58pm)
Totally but he was looking for it imo. Got more than he bargained for.

I dont like this when people look to spread the blame when it comes to violence. Whether it's a woman a party or a right wing dude in the middle of a violent mob.

In a civilized society these people do not have it coming in my view. They didnt deserve it. They didnt get what was coming.
Gold: 2,504.69
Jul 3 2019 03:03pm
Quote (balrog66 @ Jul 3 2019 02:58pm)
tl;dr Check that goddamn privilege.

indeed. and its a lesson many SJW groups could learn from. sometimes flapping about and playing as if you're the worst victim of all time is the best case. rare, but valid. most of the other time actual progress is achieved more by pragmatism and incremental change. its of course a meme in the black community "change is coming" etc, but its still a more valid approach for progress than exaggeration. especially in LGBTQ matters. to my knowledge no faction has ever risked breaking up the coalition as much as trans people. gays and lesbians had a tenuous alliance with a lot of light hearted sniping, but there's real resentment for trans people from gays, lesbians, and even gender fluid people for some of the flack they face due to some trans positions. even some moderate trans people feel the same, they get tired of answering questions about trans athletes that they dont give a fuck about or pre-teens on hormones they dont support.
Gold: 260.37
Jul 3 2019 03:07pm
Quote (TransTankie @ Jul 3 2019 03:51pm)

Stop attacking the victim, admit organizational responsibility, acknowledge organizational failure.

Antifa recruits the emotionally unbalanced and vulnerable, and gives them "meaning" through violence. Let's try to understand what we can do to stop that, and salvage something productive from the organization.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1293031323372Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll