d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > "why Has America Made China Its Enemy"
Prev12345626Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Dec 14 2022 12:08pm
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 14 2022 12:04pm)
thx for posting, again, i broadly agree with all this. the only caveat i have is that "western" ideology and accepted norms are eroding and therefore its difficult to tell which ideology, long term, will provide the most social freedoms etc.

the idea that western ideology is eroding is all well and good, but we also in America have a constitution that acts as a dam to that erosion. we cannot remove freedoms beyond a certain level without there being an amendment to the constitution which is a bar so high it's only talk about in shitty rants by major ideologues on one side or the other. its not now and never will be a serious conversation, whether its ending the electoral college or codifying one man one woman marriage.
Gold: 46,068.00
Dec 14 2022 12:10pm
Quote (Ghot @ 15 Dec 2022 02:04)
The US has zero imperialistic plans. We were asked to build those bases by countries that don't want to be over run by other countries that DO have imperialistic plans.
What countries have we tried to take over... to own.... ever?

That's the difference here. The US isn't trying to "dominate" anyone. But China... is. LOL

I think , and maybe are better informed with that question you are posting to me. Because they are much more savvy with worldwide and Geo Politics.

I will answer what I am absolutely familiar with, which is my region.

This post was edited by Hamsterbaby on Dec 14 2022 12:11pm
Gold: 10,485.00
Dec 14 2022 12:12pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Dec 14 2022 01:10pm)
I think ^Ferdia ^ownyaah, ^ofthevoid and maybe ^Djunior are better informed with that question you are posting to me. Because they are much more savvy with worldwide and Geo Politics.

Oh ok. Since you feel that way, I'll just go away and ignore all the BS you are posting. LOL
Gold: 46,068.00
Dec 14 2022 12:13pm
Quote (Ghot @ 15 Dec 2022 02:12)
Oh ok. Since you feel that way, I'll just go away and ignore all the BS you are posting. LOL

That is a very weak reply to something that I am being honest about , whatever suits you.
Dec 14 2022 12:14pm
Quote (Ghot @ Dec 14 2022 12:04pm)
The US has zero imperialistic plans. We were asked to build those bases by countries that don't want to be over run by other countries that DO have imperialistic plans.

That's the difference here. The US isn't trying to "dominate" anyone. But China... is. LOL

the phillipeans, guam, greenland (offered to buy), puerto rico and maybe a few other places. but generally they're just small regional islands to create a foothold.
Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 14 2022 12:16pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 14 2022 06:08pm)
the idea that western ideology is eroding is all well and good, but we also in America have a constitution that acts as a dam to that erosion. we cannot remove freedoms beyond a certain level without there being an amendment to the constitution which is a bar so high it's only talk about in shitty rants by major ideologues on one side or the other. its not now and never will be a serious conversation, whether its ending the electoral college or codifying one man one woman marriage.

ahem, your supreme court is eroding social freedoms.

Quote (Ghot @ Dec 14 2022 06:04pm)

The US has zero imperialistic plans. Instead it has interests. i.e. it does not want to stay in other countries, it just wants its interests secured. However, it is a bit of a stretch to say the US is not trying to dominate anyone, just look at recent history (by this I mean WMD Iraq and going to war on false pretenses and Ukraine - creating a pro US government to secure US Interests or even when the US threatened the Solomon Islands, dont zoom in on one of these just accept the argument that the US does try to dominate).

This post was edited by ferdia on Dec 14 2022 12:19pm
Gold: 13,495.00
Dec 14 2022 12:18pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Dec 14 2022 01:10pm)
I think ^Ferdia ^ownyaah, ^ofthevoid and maybe ^Djunior are better informed with that question you are posting to me. Because they are much more savvy with worldwide and Geo Politics.

When people think of imperialism they have an archaic 20th century understanding of the concept. In the digital age you don't need to have ships carrying their sugar or spices to western lands for it to be imperialistic.

We are the hegemon today and have been since the fall of the Soviet Union. Even prior to that we were but just had to share spheres with the Soviets. The reason why China is a challenge is it's looking to upset that world order. They want to displace the US as the defacto rule maker of the world because the current rules favor the west because they've been set up by the west.
Gold: 10,485.00
Dec 14 2022 12:20pm
Quote (Hamsterbaby @ Dec 14 2022 01:13pm)
That is a very weak reply to something that I am being honest about , whatever suits you.

Too bad there are no Japanese posters on here at the moment.
I wonder what they would post about this issue.

Or Taiwan, or Vietnam, or the Philippines, or Malaysia, or Singapore, or Indonesia. Wanna bet they'd disagree with you? ^^
Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 14 2022 12:20pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Dec 14 2022 06:18pm)
When people think of imperialism they have an archaic 20th century understanding of the concept. In the digital age you don't need to have ships carrying their sugar or spices to western lands for it to be imperialistic.

We are the hegemon today and have been since the fall of the Soviet Union. Even prior to that we were but just had to share spheres with the Soviets. The reason why China is a challenge is it's looking to upset that world order. They want to displace the US as the defacto rule maker of the world because the current rules favor the west because they've been set up by the west.

cant disagree with any of that.

Quote (Ghot @ Dec 14 2022 06:20pm)
Too bad there are no Japanese posters on here at the moment.
I wonder what they would post about this issue.

Or Taiwan, or Vietnam, or the Philippines, or Malaysia, or Singapore, or Indonesia. Wanna bet they'd disagree with you? ^^

I have several friends from Japan. they are not fond of the US btw, but your not wrong with the notion that smaller countries would not mind having a big brother if there is a bully in the region. the only problem there is your big brother might pick on you as well on occasion.

This post was edited by ferdia on Dec 14 2022 12:23pm
Dec 14 2022 12:21pm
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 14 2022 12:16pm)
ahem, your supreme court is eroding social freedoms.

^Hamsterbaby

The US has zero imperialistic plans. Instead it has interests. i.e. it does not want to stay in other countries, it just wants its interests secured. However, it is a bit of a stretch to say the US is not trying to dominate anyone, just look at recent history (by this I mean WMD Iraq and going to war on false pretenses and Ukraine - creating a pro US government to secure US Interests).

yes, we can erode them, but only so far.

we can remove federal coverage, but states are then free to legislate freedoms.

we can remove aspects of gun ownership (bump stocks, magazine limits, etc) but u cant make it illegal to own a gun of some kind.

and all along the way we see freedoms removed, then changed back by a more conservative court. we see EOs signed then courts undo them, or just the next potus undo them.

when we're talking on a macro 150-200 year scale these are mostly speed bumps.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345626Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll