d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Stephen Breyer Announces Retirement
Prev12345616Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,978.00
Jan 26 2022 06:26pm
Quote (LouisLeGros @ Jan 26 2022 02:55pm)
We're on jsp, milquetoast liberals are radical left here :rofl:

Either "milquetoast liberals" are now openly calling for mass executions of unvaccinated, or the left wing crazies have indeed found their way here.

This post was edited by Nibthebarb on Jan 26 2022 06:26pm
Gold: 270.56
Jan 26 2022 06:32pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jan 26 2022 02:02pm)
*Laughs in Amy Coney Barrett AGAIN*

Lol.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 26 2022 06:34pm
Quote (Nibthebarb @ 27 Jan 2022 01:26)
Either "milquetoast liberals" are now openly calling for mass executions of unvaccinated, or the left wing crazies have indeed found their way here.

can you show me just ONE?
Gold: 5.77
Jan 26 2022 08:38pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 04:16pm)
Leftism goes far deeper than supporting an economic system from which one benefited (including myself - capitalism is how I emerged from poverty).

If you'd like, please feel free to advise which critical cases he ever voted in favor of Conservatives for.

I don't believe a total economic shift to Marxism was ever presented to the Supreme Court, either, so the assertion he wouldn't vote yes is invalidated by default.

Lastly, I am glad someone finally explained Marxism with a real definition - taking what was unearned by collective force. It's what we see attempted (but unsuccessful) here in the US often in modern day :)

I welcome your thoughts :)

Capitalism is how you emerged from poverty?

How exactly did you go from poverty to owning the factories without being a worker and earning your pay through labor? And how many factories do you own anyway?

This post was edited by inkanddagger on Jan 26 2022 08:41pm
Gold: 2,195.46
Jan 26 2022 08:50pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Jan 26 2022 05:02pm)
*Laughs in Amy Coney Barrett AGAIN*

:rofl:
Gold: 4,404.67
Jan 26 2022 09:22pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ 26 Jan 2022 23:29)
Hello!

Unfortunately, Biden isn't stacking any court. In current state, he needed everyone on board and he lost 2 on many of his agenda items.

This is a "hail mary" for clout coming into the midterms with very bad approval ratings.

He wants to get 1 justice at the very least so he can claim that he preserved Roe V. Wade for his liberal base, but, after the midterms (which even with a president "above water" results in many losses even when 25 members of the opposition party aren't retiring), he won't have the votes to do pretty much anything, let alone pass another justice with far-left ideologies.

lolwut?!
how does going from a 6-3 conservative court to a 6-3 conservative court preserve Roe v. Wade?

Quote (thundercock @ 26 Jan 2022 23:23)
The nominee will be blocked by McConnell if he wants to:
https://time.com/6142711/joe-biden-supreme-court-nominee-mitch-mcconnell-stephen-breyer/
https://media.giphy.com/media/26zzbNl5r3wy1sQQE/giphy.gif

Also, your country is weak as fuck and is incapable of standing up to Russia. I guess Trump was right on that one.

I don't get this article tbh. If there is a step in the confirmation process (the cloture vote) which requires 60 votes, like this article claims, then why didn't Democrats filibuster all of Trump's nominees in the same fashion?

----------------

Regarding Russia/Ukraine: cry me a river. Biden's gigantic display of weakness on the world stage in Afghanistan is the key factor that emboldened Putin to put on the pressure and try to extort concessions. Also, Ukraine is an ultra-corrupt, piss-poor shithole anyway. Putin can have it if he wants to. I see no reason to sacrifice our economic interests over this issue. And let's not forget that sanctions would hurt us a lot more than they would you since trade with Russia is a much smaller factor for your economy than ours. It's easy to strike an escalating tone when you know that your allies would be the ones shouldering the bulk of the burden of a conflict.

Germany has historically served as a link/bridge builder between West and East, U.S. and Russia - I prefer we keep it that way. In the end, this won't amount to much of anything anyway. According to various experts, Russia has not concentrated enough troops for an invasion yet and the seasonal window is closing soon (when "mud season" begins in spring). There's also no real appetite for this kind of endeavor among the Russian public, so the operation would only need to go marginally off plan (say the Ukrainians are more resilient than expected) to become a huge risk and liability for Putin in terms of domestic politics.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 26 2022 09:51pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 26 2022 07:22pm)
lolwut?!
how does going from a 6-3 conservative court to a 6-3 conservative court preserve Roe v. Wade?

I don't get this article tbh. If there is a step in the confirmation process (the cloture vote) which requires 60 votes, like this article claims, then why didn't Democrats filibuster all of Trump's nominees in the same fashion?

----------------

Regarding Russia/Ukraine: cry me a river. Biden's gigantic display of weakness on the world stage in Afghanistan is the key factor that emboldened Putin to put on the pressure and try to extort concessions. Also, Ukraine is an ultra-corrupt, piss-poor shithole anyway. Putin can have it if he wants to. I see no reason to sacrifice our economic interests over this issue. And let's not forget that sanctions would hurt us a lot more than they would you since trade with Russia is a much smaller factor for your economy than ours. It's easy to strike an escalating tone when you know that your allies would be the ones shouldering the bulk of the burden of a conflict.

Germany has historically served as a link/bridge builder between West and East, U.S. and Russia - I prefer we keep it that way. In the end, this won't amount to much of anything anyway. According to various experts, Russia has not concentrated enough troops for an invasion yet and the seasonal window is closing soon (when "mud season" begins in spring). There's also no real appetite for this kind of endeavor among the Russian public, so the operation would only need to go marginally off plan (say the Ukrainians are more resilient than expected) to become a huge risk and liability for Putin in terms of domestic politics.

There is a power sharing agreement now where committees have the same number of Senators. Prior to 2020, Republicans had clear majorities on every committee and Democrats could do very little to stop things from moving out of committee.

As for the bold, I know you want it to be the case but I don't think that holds water because Russia started to amass tens of thousands troops on the border well before the Taliban captured their first major city. The reality is that America has been weak towards Russia ever since Bush. Bush didn't respond appropriately with the Georgia fiasco and Obama didn't respond appropriately with Ukraine. Trump obviously let Russia launch cyber attacks against us with impunity and was Putin's doormat. Had Trump won in 2020, I don't think there'd be any standoff because Russia would simply annex the territory that it wants and that would be that. If the US can keep everyone in line, including your rogue government, then I think that's a huge win for NATO and Ukraine. As a German, I understand that you struggle with the concept of sovereignty but it's a pretty important concept to people who believe in borders.
Gold: 9,900.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 26 2022 10:06pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Jan 26 2022 09:38pm)
Capitalism is how you emerged from poverty?

How exactly did you go from poverty to owning the factories without being a worker and earning your pay through labor? And how many factories do you own anyway?

May I ask where you got that indication? You don't have to own any businesses in America to escape poverty and live a good life. You simply need to hone your skills.

I guess when one carries their own life worrying about their personal wealth rather than what someone else has, it makes it easier to appreciate what they do have? :unsure:

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 26 2022 10:10pm
Gold: 35,785.13
Warn: 30%
Jan 26 2022 10:09pm
Quote (fender @ Jan 26 2022 06:34pm)
can you show me just ONE?

Netflix did.
Gold: 4,404.67
Jan 26 2022 10:14pm
Quote (thundercock @ 27 Jan 2022 04:51)
There is a power sharing agreement now where committees have the same number of Senators. Prior to 2020, Republicans had clear majorities on every committee and Democrats could do very little to stop things from moving out of committee.

As for the bold, I know you want it to be the case but I don't think that holds water because Russia started to amass tens of thousands troops on the border well before the Taliban captured their first major city. The reality is that America has been weak towards Russia ever since Bush. Bush didn't respond appropriately with the Georgia fiasco and Obama didn't respond appropriately with Ukraine. Trump obviously let Russia launch cyber attacks against us with impunity and was Putin's doormat. Had Trump won in 2020, I don't think there'd be any standoff because Russia would simply annex the territory that it wants and that would be that. If the US can keep everyone in line, including your rogue government, then I think that's a huge win for NATO and Ukraine. As a German, I understand that you struggle with the concept of sovereignty but it's a pretty important concept to people who believe in borders.

This is completely ridiculous. It is not the concept of sovereignty that I struggle with, it's the rationale behind Ukraine's sovereignty being NATO's business that eludes me. And from a strategic perspective, I just don't see how Ukraine being a NATO member or even just an associate would serve our interests.

---------

The standoff in the committee makes sense, but if necessary, Democrats should be able to revoke the power sharing agreement on a party-line vote. That's a far less dramatic step than abolishing the filibuster, so after some time of Republican obstruction, I really don't see Manchin or Sinema refusing to go along with this course of action.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345616Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll