d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Religion Actually Does To People - Part One > Childhood Indoctrination Is Child Abuse
Prev1272829303141Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Jan 27 2015 02:40pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Jan 27 2015 08:34pm)
...you are asking him to explain what he knows to be irrational...do you see the catch ? The irrational is just that , irrational .

Oh, I understand that he's aware that it's irrational, but even the irrational comes with details of feelings/thoughts. I'm just wondering about those details is all.

Disclaimer: Before I use an example, know that I am not comparing what we're talking about to schizophrenia. I'm just using schizophrenia as an example for what I'm trying to get across.

Someone who has schizophrenia can be asked, when they're in a more lucid state, to describe what schizophrenia is like even though they know the experience/thoughts are irrational.

Or, a person can have an irrational fear, but be asked to describe what goes through their mind when exposed to the feared stimulus, even though in the current moment they're not exposed to the stimulus and know their fear to be irrational.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jan 27 2015 02:41pm
Gold: 7,252.72
Jan 27 2015 02:52pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2015 03:40pm)
Oh, I understand that he's aware that it's irrational, but even the irrational comes with details of feelings/thoughts. I'm just wondering about those details is all.

Disclaimer: Before I use an example, know that I am not comparing what we're talking about to schizophrenia. I'm just using schizophrenia as an example for what I'm trying to get across.

Someone who has schizophrenia can be asked, when they're in a more lucid state, to describe what schizophrenia is like even though they know the experience/thoughts are irrational.

Or, a person can have an irrational fear, but be asked to describe what goes through their mind when exposed to the feared stimulus, even though in the current moment they're not exposed to the stimulus and know their fear to be irrational.

...look for what type of thought it is not the explanation of the thought .
Gold: 20,000.00
Jan 27 2015 02:52pm
Religion is wrong. It causes war... And other shit
Jan 27 2015 02:54pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Jan 27 2015 08:52pm)
...look for what type of thought it is not the explanation of the thought .

If this were actual psychotherapy, sure, I get it.

Since it's not, I'm just curious about curious things is all.
Jan 27 2015 03:17pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 27 2015 03:54pm)
If this were actual psychotherapy, sure, I get it.

Since it's not, I'm just curious about curious things is all.

...sounds like a common intrusive thought...funny thing - I use to have one until I learned how to stop it and now I don't even remember what it was .
Gold: 0.76
Jan 27 2015 03:17pm
Quote (IceMage @ 25 Jan 2015 13:43)
Calling religion "a web of lies, falsehoods, brainwashing" is a judgement, and it's certainly not positive/supportive/all inclusive.

The first lines about religion are personal lines about his growing up, and I understand them, it could be argued that it's really just a true statement. Religions are like flocks of sheep if one joins the flock and runs when they run, izg when the flock zigs, zags with the rest, stops with the group eats with the group. but if that one sheep asks why she has to zig each time...

the flock turns and suddenly the hooves become claws and fangs replace molars, and the wolves tear the one that questions apart.

the level of brainwashing is different in each person.
Jan 27 2015 03:26pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jan 27 2015 09:17pm)
The first lines about religion are personal lines about his growing up, and I understand them, it could be argued that it's really just a true statement. Religions are like flocks of sheep if one joins the flock and runs when they run, izg when the flock zigs, zags with the rest, stops with the group eats with the group. but if that one sheep asks why she has to zig each time...

the flock turns and suddenly the hooves become claws and fangs replace molars, and the wolves tear the one that questions apart.

You make it sound like religion/church is this monolithic thing. My response is also to the OP here too.

Are there religious people/churches that are abusive, misguided, prone to actual brainwashing, etc? Sure, but they're the minority extreme.

The majority of religious people are folks who just believe in some higher power, go to church (or whatever community building/group that suits them), read their holy book, prayer before meals/other times, etc. They're not abusing their children or anything else like that.
Jan 27 2015 03:30pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jan 27 2015 04:17pm)

...what a total crock of shit...your entire church experience was some backwater hilljack congregation that you claim let you deliver sermons . That they turned on you is evident by the imagery you use ( claws and fangs ) but have you ever once considered that you deserved it ?
Jan 27 2015 03:33pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Jan 27 2015 09:17pm)
...sounds like a common intrusive thought...funny thing - I use to have one until I learned how to stop it and now I don't even remember what it was .

The mind sure is a powerful thing indeed.
Jan 27 2015 03:48pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 27 Jan 2015 21:33)
The mind sure is a powerful thing indeed.

In some people's cases...
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1272829303141Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll