d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Clinton 2016 > Finally, A Thread For Winners
Prev12627282930183Next
Closed New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,407.33
Jun 29 2016 05:31pm
Quote (Pollster @ Jun 29 2016 07:27pm)
I mean I appreciate the laugh as a result of your shit reading comprehension, but it's pretty clear what was raised re: the GOP's big bet on 2014 by moving their money forward turned out to be remarkably accurate. Anyone who paid even casual attention to the 2016 primaries in addition to how the Clinton/Trump matchup is shaping up can see that, we get reminders of it every day. The results of the 2015 elections further confirm it: the bet just didn't work.

Humorously the only thing you managed to accomplish in that thread was to demonstrate that you like Santara are completely oblivious to the existence of the universal swing, as well to the reality that polling surveys are snapshots in time. I only wish I had time to re-read the entire thing; I can only imagine how many howlers the two of you contributed as a result of sheer ignorance.

blah blah typical egotistical nonsense with the same few catchphrases we hear over and over again with a complete failure to recognize your previous failures and mistakes that I EXPLICITLY called you out on ahead of time.
Extreme arrogance and stubbornness don't magically make you right.
Gold: 0.00
Jun 29 2016 05:37pm
Pollster for president
Gold: 8,933.00
Jun 29 2016 05:38pm
Quote (Pollster @ Jun 29 2016 02:36pm)
Uh... of course your spectacular backfire contained some errors. Two of them are glaring: we're obviously not building a model here, and if we were I just got done explaining how that happens, and your sloppily invoking of one cycle is the exact opposite of what was spelled out.

Re: the thread, I had forgotten I picked the exact GOV seats that'd change hands too, good times. It's pretty chilling reading the last couple of pages of that now that we're able to see how accurate the contours of what was predicted re: the GOP's overextending on 2014 at the expense of 2016 turned out to be. It's amusing to learn that you think a net gain of 13 seats in the House given the size of the chamber and scope of the battlefield is a huge difference between 9, 7, or 5 seats. That's what I meant when I said that all you ever accomplish is exposing your own ignorance re: electoral politics, and I was exactly right: all I can take out of this is that you're completely oblivious to the existence of the universal swing, how it works, and what influences it.

Holy fucking spin, Batman! There's a difference without a distinction, making projections from whatever model you've built with building the model itself. And even if you want to hide behind some notion that somebody else built the model, you're still responsible for your own projections based off it and that means knowing the strengths and/or failings of the model you yourself are using.

I'm sure you know what this is, and it's a visual representation of what you presented all throughout that thread, and that it essentially has a zero on the left and a 9 on the right for our purposes. And 13 IS a huge difference considering the gerrymandering is long done and most of the benefit was already squeezed out of it. There's simply not terribly too much further to the right that team R could ever go.

You made projections, you're in a position to know better, and you've admitted that people pay dearly for the information those models can squeeze out, and here you are, not even close.
Gold: 57.00
Jun 29 2016 06:20pm
This is like seeing karl rove's clipboard being played out forum-style.
Gold: 20.31
Jun 29 2016 06:20pm
Quote (Santara @ Jun 29 2016 04:38pm)
Holy fucking spin, Batman! There's a difference without a distinction, making projections from whatever model you've built with building the model itself. And even if you want to hide behind some notion that somebody else built the model, you're still responsible for your own projections based off it and that means knowing the strengths and/or failings of the model you yourself are using.

I'm sure you know what this is, and it's a visual representation of what you presented all throughout that thread, and that it essentially has a zero on the left and a 9 on the right for our purposes. And 13 IS a huge difference considering the gerrymandering is long done and most of the benefit was already squeezed out of it. There's simply not terribly too much further to the right that team R could ever go.

http://f.tqn.com/y/statistics/1/W/5/-/-/-/bellcurve.GIF

You made projections, you're in a position to know better, and you've admitted that people pay dearly for the information those models can squeeze out, and here you are, not even close.

You're the only one spinning anything, as usual. I don't know why you ever pretend otherwise.

It sounds like part of the problem is that you don't understand what "likely" means in the mathematical context. If a net gain of 5-9 is the likely outcome and it has that 80% confidence level, that doesn't mean a net gain of 4 or 10 or 13 or 15 is impossible or wrong. It simply means those outcomes were less likely. It would be even easier to know that after Election Day when we knew that turnout was a 60-year low, thanks to (some of our) understanding of the universal swing.

More of the problem may be your total lack of understanding of the House though. The Republicans have put out feelers for 34 more Democratic-held House districts. The Democrats have marker data for 77 GOP-held districts. The idea that there's a big difference between a net gain of 9 seats and 13 seats is arguably the dumbest thing you've ever said on the forum, given the reality how House seats move in bunches and how little it takes to move them, and that's a really long list to try to top.

Quote (cambovenzi @ Jun 29 2016 04:31pm)
blah blah typical egotistical nonsense with the same few catchphrases we hear over and over again with a complete failure to recognize your previous failures and mistakes that I EXPLICITLY called you out on ahead of time.
Extreme arrogance and stubbornness don't magically make you right.

Leave the sad attempts at projection for Santara. You stupidly took issue with what I said even though we're surrounded by the evidence, and we're supposed to pretend that you don't have terrible reading comprehension or that you weren't completely oblivious to the concepts I noted simply because you shrugged it off by starting a reply with "blah blah blah?" Yeah, no. Like I said I appreciate the laugh and all, don't let me stop you from providing more.
Jun 29 2016 06:22pm
Quote (excellence @ Jun 29 2016 05:20pm)
This is like seeing karl rove's clipboard being played out forum-style.

Unfortunately I've had to duck-walk them through thread after thread explaining elementary concepts of polling. We usually get to a point where, to spare their feelings, we have to just pretend that they don't "really" not understand how a mathematical application works.

This post was edited by Pollster on Jun 29 2016 06:23pm
Gold: 8,933.00
Jun 29 2016 06:36pm
Lulz, you were way off and I'm the one spinning.
Jun 29 2016 06:53pm
Quote (Santara @ Jun 29 2016 05:36pm)
Lulz, you were way off and I'm the one spinning.

Well except for the pesky little detail that we already know intellectually how math works, and you're not entitled to your own rules of math inside your little bubble. If only something was true simply because you said it was true.

Now, it's entirely possible that you simply don't know how things like probability distribution (or hell, probability itself), confidence intervals, or aggregation works, and if that's the case then I can completely understand why there was some confusion. That said, there's really no reason to be unaware of how many seats are being contested and targeted. That alone is enough context in addition to the size of the House.

Edit: It is kind of amazing to read through some of this. Nailing 5 House races 4 months out is nice enough, but nailing how the other 2 would develop 24 months out, when the Democrats had just gotten locked out of one and triaged the other is hilarious. I'm definitely going to have to set aside some time for this tomorrow.

This post was edited by Pollster on Jun 29 2016 07:00pm
Gold: 11,407.33
Jun 29 2016 07:15pm
Code
Leave the sad attempts at projection for Santara. You stupidly took issue with what I said even though we're surrounded by the evidence, and we're supposed to pretend that you don't have terrible reading comprehension or that you weren't completely oblivious to the concepts I noted simply because you shrugged it off by starting a reply with "blah blah blah?" Yeah, no. Like I said I appreciate the laugh and all, don't let me stop you from providing more.

Typical arrogance and hypocritical empty accusations.
Who is this "we"? You are by yourself on this one, desperately trying to toss out insults to deflect from your demonstrated and documented abject failure without ever substantiating your claims about me.

The "blah blah" is noting my impatience with your tired act of "you are embarrassing yourself" "poor reading comprehension" "i appreciate the laugh" etc etc ad nauseum whenever someone calls you out on your bullshit and brings up facts you dont like, and instead of refuting them or admitting your failure you mouth off with these same exact lines.

The posts of me calling you out for bias and skewing your ranges in favor of the Democrats and shorting the republicans on the max range, and you laughably saying things like 'its a fact that mcconnell is losing' are right there for anyone to see.
Rather than a spot on prediction of the result of each individual race, you missed the boat completely in exactly the direction I brought up despite setting up a big range.

"There's nothing about the four-way race in South Dakota that's a lock." Republican won my 20 points.

"The Republicans posting a net gain of zero is not beyond a joke"

House: D+3 - R+7
(Reality R+13)
Senate: R+0 - R+7
(Reality: R+9)
"I am measuring the entire range of likely outcomes."

"To put it simply: there's no evidence to suggest that a net gain of 8 seats is possible for the Republicans at present. "

Quote (cambovenzi)
Hes covering his ass one way only, while squeezing the republicans on the other and saying their chances are gone completely if they don't win 1 state.

This post was edited by cambovenzi on Jun 29 2016 07:29pm
Gold: 40.42
Jun 29 2016 07:47pm
Wow, his ranges for who was going to win what seats sure were as wrong as most people's in the last midterm, you guys really got him on the ropes now.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12627282930183Next
Closed New Topic New Poll