d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Religion Actually Does To People - Part One > Childhood Indoctrination Is Child Abuse
Prev1252627282941Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 152.00
Jan 24 2015 09:27pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 24 2015 10:22pm)
Yep. Even the existence of that value is questionable :p

Perhaps, though I'm very much a "value realist" as I think certain flavors of experience are (dis)valuable by their very nature (intense agony is intrinsically disvaluable; no change of opinion can make brutal torture less horrid).
Gold: 285.00
Jan 24 2015 11:20pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Jan 24 2015 10:27pm)
Perhaps, though I'm very much a "value realist" as I think certain flavors of experience are (dis)valuable by their very nature (intense agony is intrinsically disvaluable; no change of opinion can make brutal torture less horrid).

The universe doesn't even bat an eyelash at our suffering :lol:

"I EXIST" screams man!

"That creates in me no sense of obligation" says the universe.
Gold: 152.00
Jan 25 2015 12:12am
Quote (Skinned @ Jan 25 2015 12:20am)
The universe doesn't even bat an eyelash at our suffering :lol:

"I EXIST" screams man!

"That creates in me no sense of obligation" says the universe.

The subjects in the universe are the universe.
Retired Moderator
Gold: 848.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 25 2015 05:49am
Quote (IceMage @ 24 Jan 2015 23:14)
I particularly liked the part of Kardec's book where he interviews the spirits of dead people. Nothing more rational than that. :wacko:

if it were not allowed such communications, Jesus never would. ;)

Matthew 17 New International Version (NIV)
The Transfiguration

17 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

4 Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 25 2015 11:45am
Quote (El Shadday @ Jan 25 2015 06:49am)
if it were not allowed such communications, Jesus never would. ;)

Matthew 17 New International Version (NIV)
The Transfiguration

17 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. 2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light. 3 Just then there appeared before themMoses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

4 Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here. If you wish, I will put up three shelters—one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah.”

So is everyone able to communicate with spirits? If not, what qualifies some and disqualifies others? Why should Christians be compelled to follow the teachings of a man born in the 1800's? Why is it rational to believe Kardec was able to talk to spirits of dead people?

I assume that you, as a Spiritist, are able to answer these basic questions.

Gold: 285.00
Jan 25 2015 12:01pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Jan 24 2015 10:27pm)

Honestly I'm still stuck on rationalists ethics, ie: Kant and the Categorical Imperative/Ends-Means Principle. Being so involved in social work has made this commitment even deeper given the NASW Code of Ethics being a rational and deontological code in the tradition of Kant.

I know that doing this isn't doing what is objectively correct, as Kant believed, it is rather me taking a stand, recognizing that for me there is a right or wrong and a standard for judgement of character, and that failing to make this choice (acknowledging Right and Wrong exists in regards to behavior) delegates one to living life as a dog or other lower beast and in the Kantian definition fails to me the standard of actually being a Person. It is important to note that what a person does of much more important than what a person thinks or believes, although the last two relevant. This is is largely part of the philosophy expounded by Kierkegaard. This particular bit is from Diary of a Seducer, which is Kierkegaard's criticism of Romanticism and the idea that life is to be lived in hedonism and for pleasure. He takes on Hegel in Either/Or, the name alone being an attack on Hegelian Dialectics.

These were big beefs in Continental Philosophy. I know you were curious about it :) It is very interesting how Kierkegaard uses the story of Abraham to pwn Hegel gg no re.
Gold: 30.00
Warn: 10%
Jan 25 2015 12:24pm
I believe it to be true with no doubts the damage done by religion. Just the web of lies and falsehoods themselves are bad enough for the growth of a premature/immature soul. As I was raised catholic ie. baptism,communion,confirmation I never felt a sense of belonging and the repetitiveness of everything at church is like being brainwashed and indoctrinated into a cult without knowing it. So after being confirmed I ventured away from Catholicism into Hinduism(Vedanta) and Buddhism. These two religions seemed to have more of the path to liberation and spiritual ascension down. I never read their "major foundational books" ie buddhist manuscripts and the Mahabharata, bahdva gita. After visiting with the top Swami at a temple near my home I emphasized how I wanted to read more into (Vedanta) and he said NO. All you need to do is listen. Listen to your heart, your mind, your soul, and lead your own spiritual path as that is what makes a great spiritual leader. UHHHHH hello people Jesus "solo'd" life and a religion followed. Siddhartha Gautama solo'd life and a religion followed. If you want to make real spiritual progress then meditate everyday on a better world and a better self. Focus all of your intent energy on not the manipulation of others for your own benefit but the manipulation of your dying ego so that your soul can flourish. I follow no religion though i know a few names of some. Religion is a metal cap on a 3d body. It weighs you down and you feel like you have to depend on this "cap" for guidance and then you realize you are an infinite eternal being streaming consciousness and harmonic love vibrations at a higher level. Once realized. That cap hits the floor and shatters. That's your ego. For you and only you are the light that guides your consciousness into what you believe is the right path. We are all climbing up the same mountain, and the only fool is the one whose yelling, "My way is the only way up the mountain!!"Consciousness is unified and universal. Tap into the Akashic and claim what has always been yours.

Love, Light, and Peace to all

Tia

This post was edited by KingTia on Jan 25 2015 12:27pm
Gold: 0.76
Jan 25 2015 12:36pm
all inclusive, nonjudgmental, positive and supportive, nicely done. I understand where you're coming from
I'm afraid some here won't
Jan 25 2015 12:41pm
Quote (KingTia @ Jan 25 2015 01:24pm)
I believe it to be true with no doubts the damage done by religion. Just the web of lies and falsehoods themselves are bad enough for the growth of a premature/immature soul. As I was raised catholic ie. baptism,communion,confirmation I never felt a sense of belonging and the repetitiveness of everything at church is like being brainwashed and indoctrinated into a cult without knowing it. So after being confirmed I ventured away from Catholicism into Hinduism(Vedanta) and Buddhism. These two religions seemed to have more of the path to liberation and spiritual ascension down. I never read their "major foundational books" ie buddhist manuscripts and the Mahabharata, bahdva gita. After visiting with the top Swami at a temple near my home I emphasized how I wanted to read more into (Vedanta) and he said NO. All you need to do is listen. Listen to your heart, your mind, your soul, and lead your own spiritual path as that is what makes a great spiritual leader. UHHHHH hello people Jesus "solo'd" life and a religion followed. Siddhartha Gautama solo'd life and a religion followed. If you want to make real spiritual progress then meditate everyday on a better world and a better self. Focus all of your intent energy on not the manipulation of others for your own benefit but the manipulation of your dying ego so that your soul can flourish. I follow no religion though i know a few names of some. Religion is a metal cap on a 3d body. It weighs you down and you feel like you have to depend on this "cap" for guidance and then you realize you are an infinite eternal being streaming consciousness and harmonic love vibrations at a higher level. Once realized. That cap hits the floor and shatters. That's your ego. For you and only you are the light that guides your consciousness into what you believe is the right path. We are all climbing up the same mountain, and the only fool is the one whose yelling, "My way is the only way up the mountain!!"Consciousness is unified and universal. Tap into the Akashic and claim what has always been yours.

Love, Light, and Peace to all

Tia

You haven't lost your ego... you've simply attached to a new set of beliefs/concepts. A new ego, one that gives you more comfort.
Jan 25 2015 12:43pm
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ Jan 25 2015 01:36pm)
all inclusive, nonjudgmental, positive and supportive, nicely done. I understand where you're coming from
I'm afraid some here won't

Calling religion "a web of lies, falsehoods, brainwashing" is a judgement, and it's certainly not positive/supportive/all inclusive.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1252627282941Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll