d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Got Questions About God? > #1 Can You Really Trust The Bible?
Prev1232425262778Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Apr 14 2013 02:16pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 14 2013 04:12am)
No, no, no, no, no. I can also go to some random site and copy & paste the whole thing also. Then it will only become website copy & paste wars. I see things that you don't sylvannos.

That is why I was asking poulgaragr to tell us what exactly his point is and what is going on in his own words.

No I mean poulgagar never makes posts that are in his own words unless it's something like "case closed no1 can refute my inrefutable proof!!!!!!!!"

He's a 15/16 year old kid who thinks he's got the world figured out. It kind of explains his copy paste techniques of debating....he doesn't want to do any extra homework.
Apr 14 2013 07:26pm
Quote (brmv @ Apr 14 2013 10:53pm)
actually could you somehow explain in your own words what the op means?

you certainly did that with that table of copies in the op
in that table it is claimed that there are 24,792 copies within a 90 year time gap
can you please refer me to an academic analysis of those 24,792 copies which guarantees that they were all written within the claimed time frame
you specifically stated:

You cannot possibly deny all the 24k+ copies of somebody's life and that was written just 90 years after their time had come and gone here on Earth.

please come up with the goods, your other claims will gain some credibility if you are able to - if not, refrain from making unjustified claims in the future

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibleorigin.html

http://irr.org/todays-bible-real-bible

Now that your one and only doubt has been erased, are you ready to become a follower of Jesus Christ?
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 14 2013 07:35pm
Quote (CPK001 @ 15 Apr 2013 01:26)
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibleorigin.html

http://irr.org/todays-bible-real-bible

Now that your one and only doubt has been erased, are you ready to become a follower of Jesus Christ?

easy to find that the overall statement is bullshit, from your link:

The Byzantine text-type, found in the vast majority of later Greek manuscripts. Over 90 percent of all 5,600 Greek New Testament manuscripts are of the Byzantine text-type.

and figure 1 shows that the byzantine manuscripts are all from the 5th century or later

seems whoever created the table you quoted in the op is either illiterate or on purpose did put a wrong statement in
Gold: 7,252.72
Apr 14 2013 07:41pm
...how many Bibles are required for an individuals personal salvation ?
Gold: Locked
Warn: 20%
Apr 14 2013 08:00pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 14 2013 06:26pm)
Neither of those site substantiate your claim.

Apr 15 2013 07:52am
Quote (brmv @ Apr 15 2013 11:35am)
easy to find that the overall statement is bullshit, from your link:

The Byzantine text-type, found in the vast majority of later Greek manuscripts. Over 90 percent of all 5,600 Greek New Testament manuscripts are of the Byzantine text-type.

and figure 1 shows that the byzantine manuscripts are all from the 5th century or later

seems whoever created the table you quoted in the op is either illiterate or on purpose did put a wrong statement in

What is the difference between poulgaragr's site posted and the one I posted?

Quote (Azrad @ Apr 15 2013 12:00pm)
Neither of those site substantiate your claim.

You do know that my normal reply to this is to merely post like 5 more sites for you to look at right? Do you want me to do that?

This post was edited by CPK001 on Apr 15 2013 07:53am
Apr 15 2013 11:38am
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 15 2013 06:52am)
You do know that my normal reply to this is to merely post like 5 more sites for you to look at right? Do you want me to do that?
You have made an assertion, that some of us are very skeptical of. I tried myself (more than once) to attempt to confirm you assertion and I have failed to do so. The only reference I found to the claim was a blog belonging to a Chris Edmondson (which contains essentially the same image you linked). He gives no source for the data. When asked for the source, you linked two different websites which do not even make the assertion in question! While I have no doubt you can link 5 more sites which failed to support this assertion, I doubt you can provide any links to academic sites which establish the veracity of your assertion. The longer you take to do this, and the number of sites you link which fail to confirm the assertion; make me even more skeptical.

This post was edited by Azrad on Apr 15 2013 11:39am
Gold: 11,700.00
Apr 15 2013 04:21pm
Quote (CPK001 @ 15 Apr 2013 13:52)
What is the difference between poulgaragr's site posted and the one I posted?

which site did "poulgaragr" quote? i didn't look at anything he linked
was actually surprised that you were able to link two sites which are not part of the extensive catalogue of christian fundamentalist 'looney tunes'
the first site is not so different to http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09627a.htm just that it contains a few unjustified conclusions
the second site deals more with textual criticism and reconstruction, have seen worse, but it does try to give the impression that there are thousands of copies of the new testament around while the majority are only minor fragments
and neither site does point out that through re-use of the parchments quite a lot of ancient literature has been overwritten by the christian scribes
and try as much as you want you will not be able to justify your claim based on any reliable source, just to repeat your claim:

You cannot possibly deny all the 24k+ copies of somebody's life and that was written just 90 years after their time had come and gone here on Earth.
Apr 15 2013 06:18pm
Quote (Azrad @ Apr 16 2013 03:38am)
You have made an assertion, that some of us are very skeptical of. I tried myself (more than once) to attempt to confirm you assertion and I have failed to do so. The only reference I found to the claim was a blog belonging to a Chris Edmondson (which contains essentially the same image you linked). He gives no source for the data. When asked for the source, you linked two different websites which do not even make the assertion in question! While I have no doubt you can link 5 more sites which failed to support this assertion, I doubt you can provide any links to academic sites which establish the veracity of your assertion. The longer you take to do this, and the number of sites you link which fail to confirm the assertion; make me even more skeptical.

Yeah you probably looked with a doubting mind.

Quote (brmv @ Apr 16 2013 08:21am)
which site did "poulgaragr" quote? i didn't look at anything he linked
was actually surprised that you were able to link two sites which are not part of the extensive catalogue of christian fundamentalist 'looney tunes'
the first site is not so different to http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09627a.htm just that it contains a few unjustified conclusions
the second site deals more with textual criticism and reconstruction, have seen worse, but it does try to give the impression that there are thousands of copies of the new testament around while the majority are only minor fragments
and neither site does point out that through re-use of the parchments quite a lot of ancient literature has been overwritten by the christian scribes
and try as much as you want you will not be able to justify your claim based on any reliable source, just to repeat your claim:

So what you're saying is that 24k+ people are lunatics and they all need to have their brains examined for writing stuff down that they saw? Who gave you that authority?

This post was edited by CPK001 on Apr 15 2013 06:18pm
Apr 15 2013 06:28pm
Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 15 2013 05:18pm)
Yeah you probably looked with a doubting mind.
Oh I most certainly did. But that does not change the fact that you linked 2 articles to defend a claim that the articles don't even address! You might as well have copied a couple pages from the phone book and posted them, since they would substantiate your claim just as much (that is, not at all). I don't know if you post here as some kind of witnessing, but I can assure you: lying or being deceitful is probably a bad idea if your trying to convince someone of something.

Quote (CPK001 @ Apr 15 2013 05:18pm)
So what you're saying is that 24k+ people are lunatics and they all need to have their brains examined for writing stuff down that they saw?
No, brmv made it very clearly what the skepticism is about. To restate it again: We are skeptical that 24k+ copies existed within 90 years of the life of Jesus. We would like to see a reputable source for that claim (when I say we, I guess I should only speak for myself, but it seems pretty clear this is essentially what brmv is asking as well).

What gives me the most pause is this is clearly obvious to anyone reading this exchange. How you could possibly miss it, I won't bother to guess.

This post was edited by Azrad on Apr 15 2013 06:37pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1232425262778Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll