d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Religion Actually Does To People - Part One > Childhood Indoctrination Is Child Abuse
Prev1212223242541Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 159.02
Jan 24 2015 04:02am
Quote (Scaly @ 24 Jan 2015 03:57)
Well someone has to tell them their practices are immoral... and it's pretty difficult to tell someone they're immoral while being nice to them.

morality is just a concept, that's why some people here think of you as despicable and vice versa regardless of religious alignment. there will never be a universal moral standard and that's a good thing.

attacking religion using moral arguments is shooting yourself in the foot
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 24 2015 04:12am
Quote (Scaly @ Jan 24 2015 01:47am)

Rofl.

Unless I say something you feel you can refute and then you're all out refuting it. You have no answer.

As for rudeness - it's perfectly ok when you or icemage or widow or any other right wing nutjob does it but if it's me then it's somehow unacceptable? Get over yourself you self-righteous hypocrite.

I'm not sure what to tell you. You're an abused, hateful little creature who throws tantrums in order to get a rise out of people. Most members are pleasant and if we give you shit, it's well deserved.

It is common for abused folks to lash out and abuse others. Are you incapable of breaking the cycle?
Gold: 0.00
Jan 24 2015 04:13am
Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Jan 2015 10:02)
morality is just a concept, that's why some people here think of you as despicable and vice versa regardless of religious alignment. there will never be a universal moral standard and that's a good thing.

attacking religion using moral arguments is shooting yourself in the foot

I disagree. I think there are practices within certain religions that pretty much everyone who doesn't practice them would look on with disgust. The genital mutilation of children for example. Just because there isn't an objective morality we can base these things on doesn't mean we can't condemn them as immoral because of the harm they cause.

But also it's often the religious that claim that their religion or their god makes them morally correct. If we can show them that their religion doesn't necessarily match with their personal morality or that their religiously motivated moral decisions cause harm that they would otherwise not want to happen then that is a perfectly valid way to argue against them continuing to hold and promote those beliefs.

Quote (thundercock @ 24 Jan 2015 10:12)
I'm not sure what to tell you. You're an abused, hateful little creature who throws tantrums in order to get a rise out of people. Most members are pleasant and if we give you shit, it's well deserved.

It is common for abused folks to lash out and abuse others. Are you incapable of breaking the cycle?

Translation - I disagree with you regularly and you don't like it. A bloo bloo.

This post was edited by Scaly on Jan 24 2015 04:18am
Jan 24 2015 04:20am
Quote (Scaly @ Jan 24 2015 02:13am)

Translation - I disagree with you regularly and you don't like it. A bloo bloo.

Nah, it's not that. I disagree with Widow, Skinned, Peschye, etc. all the time. Unlike you, I'm not afraid of opposing ideas.
Jan 24 2015 04:23am
Quote (Scaly @ 24 Jan 2015 04:13)
I disagree. I think there are practices within certain religions that pretty much everyone who doesn't practice them would look on with disgust. The genital mutilation of children for example. Just because there isn't an objective morality we can base these things on doesn't mean we can't condemn them as immoral because of the harm they cause.

But also it's often the religious that claim that their religion or their god makes them morally correct. If we can show them that their religion doesn't necessarily match with their personal morality or that their religiously motivated moral decisions cause harm that they would otherwise not want to happen then that is a perfectly valid way to argue against them continuing to hold and promote those beliefs.

this is what makes it such an inefficient way to go about things. like trying to put out an oil fire with water
Jan 24 2015 04:31am
Quote (thundercock @ 24 Jan 2015 10:20)
Nah, it's not that. I disagree with Widow, Skinned, Peschye, etc. all the time. Unlike you, I'm not afraid of opposing ideas.

Well you seem to have got me wrong Sir. I'm completely open to admitting when I'm wrong and have done on many occasions, unlike your friend Widow I might add.

The point is that you in particular are often extremely rude to anyone who disagrees with you and yet you take umbrage with me doing the same.

You're a hypocrite.

Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Jan 2015 10:23)
this is what makes it such an inefficient way to go about things. like trying to put out an oil fire with water

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I do know of instances where people have given up their religion on purely moral grounds however.

This post was edited by Scaly on Jan 24 2015 04:32am
Jan 24 2015 04:34am
Quote (Scaly @ Jan 24 2015 02:31am)
Well you seem to have got me wrong Sir. I'm completely open to admitting when I'm wrong and have done on many occasions, unlike your friend Widow I might add.

The point is that you in particular are often extremely rude to anyone who disagrees with you and yet you take umbrage with me doing the same.

You're a hypocrite.

Besides you, who am I rude to? I'm not a hypocrite, you're just an asshole lol.

On second thought, I was a huge dick to brmv but I feel like anyone who marries a gypsy cunt deserves it.
Jan 24 2015 04:35am
Quote (Scaly @ 24 Jan 2015 04:31)
I think we'll have to agree to disagree. I do know of instances where people have given up their religion on purely moral grounds however.

i wasn't particularly trying to convince you of anything, just giving my 2 cents. and yeah i'm sure that happens but i think it happens more frequently when people realise what they've been taught is factually incorrect
Jan 24 2015 04:42am
Quote (thundercock @ 24 Jan 2015 10:34)
Besides you, who am I rude to? I'm not a hypocrite, you're just an asshole lol.

On second thought, I was a huge dick to brmv but I feel like anyone who marries a gypsy cunt deserves it.

Uhuh...

Well next time I'm acting in a way which you feel is 'throwing a tantrum' or 'being unnecessarily rude' you be sure to let me know and I'll do my best to curtail it. Don't think i can really be much more reasonable than that.
I'm not averse to admitting I have faults and attempting to correct them if they are pointed out to me. You think I'm an asshole? Tell me when I'm being an asshole and I will reassess the situation and either justify my assholey-ness or apologise.

Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Jan 2015 10:35)
i wasn't particularly trying to convince you of anything, just giving my 2 cents. and yeah i'm sure that happens but i think it happens more frequently when people realise what they've been taught is factually incorrect

Most likely yes. It's tough to believe the irrational once you analyse those beliefs with a rational and skeptical mind.

This post was edited by Scaly on Jan 24 2015 04:42am
Jan 24 2015 04:46am
Quote (Scaly @ Jan 24 2015 02:42am)
Uhuh...

Well next time I'm acting in a way which you feel is 'throwing a tantrum' or 'being unnecessarily rude' you be sure to let me know and I'll do my best to curtail it. Don't think i can really br much more reasonable than that.
I'm not averse to admitting I have faults and attempting to correct them if they are pointed out to me. You think I'm an asshole? Tell me when I'm being an asshole and I will reassess the situation and either justify my assholey-ness or apologise.

Nah, I'm not going to play that game. You made a thread before where you wanted to start fresh and you failed miserably roughly a week later. You reap what you sow...live with it.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1212223242541Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll