d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Religion Actually Does To People - Part One > Childhood Indoctrination Is Child Abuse
Prev1202122232441Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 159.02
Jan 24 2015 02:25am
Quote (Scaly @ 24 Jan 2015 02:22)
Most atheists don't...

the well is thoroughly poisoned
Gold: 0.00
Jan 24 2015 02:29am
Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Jan 2015 08:25)
the well is thoroughly poisoned

Although tbh I don't see why wearing a hat and promoting pop science are bad things... They're just characteristics that promoters of ignorance have deigned to mock instead of addressing the actual issues... because they can't. Much easier to say 'haha look at the silly nerd' instead.
Jan 24 2015 02:38am
Quote (Scaly @ 24 Jan 2015 02:29)
Although tbh I don't see why wearing a hat and promoting pop science are bad things... They're just characteristics that promoters of ignorance have deigned to mock instead of addressing the actual issues... because they can't. Much easier to say 'haha look at the silly nerd' instead.

it's usually pseudointellectualism and false enlightenment. and if you want to go further then i think that promoting the work of people like dawkins is socially immoral and promoting some of tysons work is politically irresponsible. just my opinion though.
Jan 24 2015 03:16am
Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Jan 2015 08:38)
it's usually pseudointellectualism and false enlightenment. and if you want to go further then i think that promoting the work of people like dawkins is socially immoral and promoting some of tysons work is politically irresponsible. just my opinion though.

What particular parts of Tyson and Dawkins' work do you disagree with?
Jan 24 2015 03:29am
Quote (Scaly @ 24 Jan 2015 03:16)
What particular parts of Tyson and Dawkins' work do you disagree with?

dawkins published work aside, he's a smug asshat that wants people to stop believing what he doesn't believe. regarding his work, i've never read the selfish gene but most well-reasoned criticism of it i've read says that he uses faulty methodology to come to conclusions that align with what he already believes. eg "proving" something to be correct when it may not really be correct. also like genetic reductionism can prove anything anyway

and just all of tysons nonsense political sentiments. guy should stick to being sagan 2.0 and try not to influence how people vote (see: ethics)
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 24 2015 03:47am
Quote (Scaly @ Jan 23 2015 11:12pm)
My point exactly. See how you resort to mockery and deflection when you have no rational answers?

Um, I'm not deflecting the question because I have no answer...I'm deflecting the question because YOU are asking it. You've dug yourself into such a hole with your rudeness that you will never be taken seriously again from regulars.
Jan 24 2015 03:47am
Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Jan 2015 09:29)
dawkins published work aside, he's a smug asshat that wants people to stop believing what he doesn't believe. regarding his work, i've never read the selfish gene but most well-reasoned criticism of it i've read says that he uses faulty methodology to come to conclusions that align with what he already believes. eg "proving" something to be correct when it may not really be correct. also like genetic reductionism can prove anything anyway

and just all of tysons nonsense political sentiments. guy should stick to being sagan 2.0 and try not to influence how people vote (see: ethics)

I haven't seen any of Tyson's political segments so I couldn't comment. But he's not an authority on politics so I don't see why he should be promoted as such - though of course he has a right to express his opinions.

As for Dawkins - I agree he's smug. I agree he can be very vitriolic. But I think that kind of approach is justified and needed - not from every atheist, but different things trigger different people to seriously reassess their beliefs. As for people not believing in a god. I agree - they shouldn't. I think it's harmful and irrational. In the end it's a failure of our society that so many people do believe in god.

I haven't read the selfish gene so I can't critique it.

Quote (thundercock @ 24 Jan 2015 09:47)
Um, I'm not deflecting the question because I have no answer...I'm deflecting the question because YOU are asking it. You've dug yourself into such a hole with your rudeness that you will never be taken seriously again from regulars.

Rofl.

Unless I say something you feel you can refute and then you're all out refuting it. You have no answer.

As for rudeness - it's perfectly ok when you or icemage or widow or any other right wing nutjob does it but if it's me then it's somehow unacceptable? Get over yourself you self-righteous hypocrite.

This post was edited by Scaly on Jan 24 2015 03:50am
Jan 24 2015 03:54am
Quote (Scaly @ 24 Jan 2015 03:47)
I haven't seen any of Tyson's political segments so I couldn't comment. But he's not an authority on politics so I don't see why he should be promoted as such - though of course he has a right to express his opinions.

As for Dawkins - I agree he's smug. I agree he can be very vitriolic. But I think that kind of approach is justified and needed - not from every atheist, but different things trigger different people to seriously reassess their beliefs. As for people not believing in a god. I agree - they shouldn't. I think it's harmful and irrational. In the end it's a failure of our society that so many people do believe in god.

I haven't read the selfish gene so I can't critique it.

dawkins attacks religions based on the morality of their practices like he's some kind of arbiter. people shouldn't take lessons on morality from someone with the character of a pokemon villain
Gold: 0.76
Jan 24 2015 03:57am
Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Jan 2015 03:13)
atheist but i don't wear fedoras and worship pop science mascots

poz r
Jan 24 2015 03:57am
Quote (Devil_kin @ 24 Jan 2015 09:54)
dawkins attacks religions based on the morality of their practices like he's some kind of arbiter. people shouldn't take lessons on morality from someone with the character of a pokemon villain

Well someone has to tell them their practices are immoral... and it's pretty difficult to tell someone they're immoral while being nice to them.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1202122232441Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll