d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Is A God?
Prev1202122
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3.33
May 28 2024 02:23pm
Quote (x_h @ May 28 2024 08:33pm)
Atheists who say "there is no god" are as annoying and arrogant as the theists who say there is a god.

No one can prove a god does or doesn't exist. On both sides the only reasonable and rational perspective is that there might be or might not be, not that there is or there isn't.

This is the Gettier problem of rationalized true belief. If one believes there is a god, and there turns out to be a god, does that mean that one is justified in believing just because it turns out to be true? I'm not sure, but at best you are guessing that god is real, because you can't know if there is a god, all you can know is that men wrote books where they claimed there is a god.

No, because for your statement to be true, the probability of there being a God would have to be equal to the probability of there not being a God.

If we can reasonably agree that the probability of there being no God is much higher than there being a God, based on the thousands of religions which make literally no fucking sense whatsoever, then we can be atheists that say there is likely no God.

Technically, we'd be atheist agnostic but the simplification of the argument is being atheist.

This post was edited by dro94 on May 28 2024 02:23pm
Gold: 250.00
May 28 2024 02:34pm
Quote (x_h @ 28 May 2024 14:33)
Atheists who say "there is no god" are as annoying and arrogant as the theists who say there is a god.

No one can prove a god does or doesn't exist. On both sides the only reasonable and rational perspective is that there might be or might not be, not that there is or there isn't.

This is the Gettier problem of rationalized true belief. If one believes there is a god, and there turns out to be a god, does that mean that one is justified in believing just because it turns out to be true? I'm not sure, but at best you are guessing that god is real, because you can't know if there is a god, all you can know is that men wrote books where they claimed there is a god.

Precisely!

But you can agree that a majority of the worlds population when talking/discussing "God" they are almost always talking about the Abrahamic God EXCLUSIVELY. Alan Watts would always say, "Which God do you believe in there's millions".

The whole thing being that just like any subject of discussion if you say "My god is the one true god" you are right in the sense that this thing we call "God" is a universally agreed upon term to describe the same thing and everyone's "version" of God is TRUE to them on some level but not to others who may see "God" differently.

So how does one experience "God"? According to almost all yogas/mantras/methods the simplest way to do it is to "free your mind of all thoughts". Like anything it takes time to master. First you try and go 30 seconds in silence then a few minutes and then up until a few hours after practice. What ends up happening is you enter a state of consciousness that's "void of your ego because you silenced your mind". When you are in that void and you start to feel like "you don't exist at all" or that "you are existing through anything and everything". Called enlightenment/samadhi/ananda amongst other terms you realize that "realization" was simple and not special and the "peace of mind" or "bliss" came AFTER you silenced your mind because now it's just you and existence(god) and your mind isn't pulling you in different directions.

Truth be told though you cannot remove your ego entirely as it is the means in which you interact with the world around you. This was an issue and still is an issue where someone "realizes God" and then sits like Buddha did under a bodhi tree for two weeks and almost DIES because when you're in a spiritual state of consciousness you tend to neglect the physical body because you know it's merely just a vessel. You can't just stay in bliss forever and a Vedantist would argue with the Buddhist saying, "Ok that's great" but how does you be enlightened and living in a cave benefit anyone but yourself. It doesn't. So now most swamis, gurus, rishis will pick "one worldly thing" to hold onto in their mind to remind themselves they are still the ego and still have to care for the physical body.
May 28 2024 02:53pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ 28 May 2024 15:18)
We treat them as real. IE: Child and animal abuse.

Wow that's great and dandy it's too bad that children/animals will continue to be abused and there will be little to no action taken.

Most of that comes in the form of what you just said, "Children and animals are being abused!" "Let's do something!" and then 99% of those people go on with their lives and then do nothing.

So what can you do about it? Ignore it because if you embraced it you would then have to prevent ALL animal/children abuse or face that "samcocha"...."Ahhhhh I really should do more!" "I'm better then this!"

Buddhist would say go beyond the worldly suffering because you have zero control over it and let it all go.

There's a small story of a pupil/master that I'll summarize best I can.

Pupil: Master tell me what I am to do?

Master: Simply do good nothing more or less

Pupil: Master when I tried to do good I ended up doing bad as well!

Master: Do less bad

Pupil: Master no matter how hard I try to not do bad I can't stop myself from doing it!

Master: Who are YOU?!

This is showing how all humans face the same dilemmas and the only way to really go above it is to know who you are. When you know that you need not concern yourself with worldy affairs.
Gold: 0.00
May 28 2024 03:06pm
Quote (SwamiVivekananda @ May 28 2024 01:53pm)
Wow that's great and dandy it's too bad that children/animals will continue to be abused and there will be little to no action taken.

Most of that comes in the form of what you just said, "Children and animals are being abused!" "Let's do something!" and then 99% of those people go on with their lives and then do nothing.

So what can you do about it? Ignore it because if you embraced it you would then have to prevent ALL animal/children abuse or face that "samcocha"...."Ahhhhh I really should do more!" "I'm better then this!"

Buddhist would say go beyond the worldly suffering because you have zero control over it and let it all go.

There's a small story of a pupil/master that I'll summarize best I can.

Pupil: Master tell me what I am to do?

Master: Simply do good nothing more or less

Pupil: Master when I tried to do good I ended up doing bad as well!

Master: Do less bad

Pupil: Master no matter how hard I try to not do bad I can't stop myself from doing it!

Master: Who are YOU?!

This is showing how all humans face the same dilemmas and the only way to really go above it is to know who you are. When you know that you need not concern yourself with worldy affairs.

It feels like you're trying to teach rather than dialogue, to me. More distancing, is that you seem to be trying to teach based off of a misunderstanding of what I'm trying to convey. I'm not talking about personal, communal, social, or global Dukkha. I'm talking about Ahimsa in relation to being a heterotrophic being, in terms of my original point.

I think Jainism has much to say on this, as I look into it more.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on May 28 2024 03:35pm
Gold: 10,485.00
May 28 2024 04:33pm

Q: What Is A God?

A: A dyslexic dog?
Gold: 0.00
May 29 2024 02:15am
Quote (crosspawz @ May 28 2024 08:56pm)
I’ve read enough to comprehend that it’s a bunch of fabricated bullshit, anyone with grade level reasoning should be able to see it

The Bible is full of contradictions

https://www.atheists.org/activism/resources/biblical-contradictions/

“Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” It is a great teaching that people should absolutely follow, but it directly contradicts most of the lessons in the Bible. It is used to pretend that the Bible is a book about a loving God and a moral guide when it is the opposite.

It should have been written as “Thou shalt love thy neighbour except when they are:”

homosexual - Bible says to kill them.
non-believers - Bible says to kill them.
blasphemers - Bible says to kill them.
women who have been raped - Bible says to kill them.
disobedient children - Bible says to kill them.
unwed women without their hymen - Bible says to kill them.
adulterers - Bible says to kill them.
witches (aka unwed women over a certain age) - Bible says to kill them.
fortune-tellers - Bible says to kill them.
anyone who works on the Sabbath - Bible says to kill them.”

Due to time constraints pick one of the topics with both Bible Verses and we'll focus on that.

I want from you both Bible verses and the listed contradiction.

Choose one.
May 29 2024 08:35am
Quote (Handcuffs @ 28 May 2024 16:06)
It feels like you're trying to teach rather than dialogue, to me. More distancing, is that you seem to be trying to teach based off of a misunderstanding of what I'm trying to convey. I'm not talking about personal, communal, social, or global Dukkha. I'm talking about Ahimsa in relation to being a heterotrophic being, in terms of my original point.

I think Jainism has much to say on this, as I look into it more.

Read deeper into Jainism and your question will be answered. Most Jains get there "beliefs" from Buddhist/Hindus. Like all belief systems they change a few subtle things and then call it a "new religion/philosophy". Go to the source.

This is why throughout this thread it feels like I'm "lecturing everybody". None of you(or few) have read ANY eastern religious/philosophical text in full and it SHOWS. This isn't belittling anyone I'm simply saying you never read something.

Notice how the people who "read the Bible" are trying to explain something through "metaphors from the biblical scriptures"? The East does the same thing just in a different way.

If you want to understand something completely you have to study it in its totality. Can't just "gloss over" an entire religion and be like, "I get it" and then when someone says something that disagrees with your P.O.V follow that up with well it's just a "silly book" anyway!

I'm not talking about you specifically but it's happened in this thread MULTIPLE times and it's total ignorance.

None of the people in here "hatin on the Bible" have even read it ONCE. I read it 5 times over the course of 15 years(different versions) and then when I finally "understood it" I put it down and never picked it back up. You aren't going to get some secret answer reading between the lines but just saying it's total BS and then not attempt to understand it's utility/purpose? Hah. Funny.

Anyone can sit down and read all the major religious texts but does that mean you'll understand it?

The purpose of ALL major religious texts is to show you that "You are God". This is when you begin. This is when the rigorous study begins. This is when you take the effort to FIND OUT instead of just saying, "I'm not God" that's silly or "I am God" there's no way!

It takes people DECADES to master a skill. People want to master philosophy/religion just by casually reading. Funny.

Become a MONK for a few years. Practice celibacy. No technology. No phone. No distractions. Just you and this thing people call "God". Then and only then will you understand this thing called God.

Are you going to know about the ocean if you just "dip your feet in"? No. DIVE IN and don't look back.

As you mentioned on page 1. God is how people deal with death anxiety.

Know yourself and know God and you will not fear death.
Gold: 1,276.69
May 31 2024 11:10pm
Primitive human cultures projecting themselves onto nature to explain phenomena that they don't understand
Jun 1 2024 05:19pm
Quote (Condemn @ 1 Jun 2024 00:10)
Primitive human cultures projecting themselves onto nature to explain phenomena that they don't understand

Continuing onward unto this very day with intelligent humans projecting they can control nature and give ABSOLUTE answers to things language/mathematics can't even remotely address or even quantify.

The epidemy of human ignorance was thinking through intelligence and intelligence alone we could understand the world around us and ACT upon it.

The Earth required no input from our species other then to abide by natural law which we BROKE and now pay that price.

God isn't "nailing in our collective coffins" and reducing the "resiliency of the entire planet and nature's ability to withstand our raping/pillaging of her and all her resources which she gave to the world FREE but rich men SOLD".

Human beings drunk on EGO and thinking they are above "God" do that.

Kind of funny and ironic when you think about it.

Can't wait to experience the literal hellish wasteland this planet will become very soon because of "intelligent people".

Notice how now that the planets life support systems are in total free fall they now just "blame nature" for everything. "Oh it's just nature!"

What an excuse that must be for the military scientist who made conscious decisions for which there was no "coming back from". Like detonating nuclear weapons all over the planet just to "see what they do".

Isn't it funny how right now in this very moment people make decisions that harm every "being" on this planet and will never be held accountable for any of it because "it's for the good of humanity!" "science!" "intelligence".

Heh riggghhhhhht :rofl: :bonk:

This post was edited by SwamiVivekananda on Jun 1 2024 05:20pm
Gold: 1,276.69
Jun 1 2024 11:57pm
^ what is this guy on about? is he okay?

This post was edited by Condemn on Jun 1 2024 11:57pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1202122
Add Reply New Topic New Poll