d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Kavanaugh Confirmation Hearing Week
Prev1206207208209210443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Sep 27 2018 11:09am
Quote (Goomshill @ Sep 27 2018 10:47am)
maybe you're green around the gills, but I don't believe anyone straight away when they tell me anything
Whenever the telephone rings I always ask details about any callers I don't recognize that I can confirm on google as we talk
When I see people in a broken down vehicle on the side of the road, I don't stop to help, I call 911 but also stake out my truck a quarter mile away and watch them with binoculars
I always demand that the worker at Chipotle cuts off a bit and tastes it from my burrito before I pay for it. At first I avoided the hassle by having the same guy do it, but I've grown suspicious he could be building up a poison immunity in secret or using a plastic throat liner one day, so I've made sure to approach a rotating cast of workers to do it at different restaurants.
I made sure to open my aunts casket just to be sure

i opened your aunts body, just to be extra sure. i've seen stranger things.
Gold: 22,164.69
Sep 27 2018 11:11am
Quote (duffman316 @ Sep 27 2018 10:58am)
Like they did with gorusch :bonk:

I've read that a lot of places on the internet but people seem to conflate the two very different circumstances.
Gorsuch was nominated just after the election, when republicans not only had a larger majority in the senate that could afford /e a few defectors, but also had the republicans firmly rallied around a Trump with a huge burst of popularity from the election mandate.
Besides the busy political theatre at the time and lack of opportunity for setup- they expended all their resources in the election and even ran a bimbo eruption on trump himself- there simply was not any chance of impacting the Gorsuch vote. The SJW harpies hadn't accelerated MeToo to peak force. It would have come across horribly, as sore losers from the election and the democrats would get shellacked as republicans both went nuclear against their feeble protest and brushed off character assassination.

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE
I JUST STOPPED MID SENTENCE
ITS GOD DAMNED LINDA SARSOUR ON THE STREAM

This post was edited by Goomshill on Sep 27 2018 11:14am
Gold: 500.00
Sep 27 2018 11:12am
Quote (EndlessSky @ Sep 27 2018 12:00pm)
The court wasnt in danger of losing its liberal majority then. Political parlor tricks and Chuck Schumer is laughing all the way to the bank.

They grilled him on some freezing trucker case iirc but there were no sexual assault allegations
Sep 27 2018 11:12am
Quote (Goomshill @ Sep 27 2018 11:11am)
I've read that a lot of places on the internet but people seem to conflate the two very different circumstances.
Gorsuch was nominated just after the election, when republicans not only had a larger majority in the senate that could afford

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE
I JUST STOPPED MID SENTENCE
ITS GOD DAMNED LINDA SARSOUR ON THE STREAM

finally a champion of women's rights for coming forward with sexual assault allegations. unless it within the muslim community, then you shut your god damn mouth and put the face shield back up.
Gold: 13,704.02
Sep 27 2018 11:13am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Sep 27 2018 12:07pm)
Nah. Republicans follow the leader. He needs independents.

Me, for example.

After watching the presser Trump gave yesterday, I actually really agree with him on all of his foreign policy decisions and he did a great job talking numbers on trade deals. He bungled the domestic policy stuff and came across as an asshole to women.

But he did promise to watch this today and make a decision based on the testimony rather than any preconceived notions. I believe his answer to Haley was genuine.

If he spun that into a "I watched and I understand we need to believe women" and then nominated Amy Barrett, I would be likely to vote for him or at least third party in 2020 rather than whatever hull of a corporate shill the Democrats put up.

He needs this strategy to hold onto his presidency. The GOP base will vote for the GOP, period. He needs independents and we aren't interested in electing a guy who would have been a better fit as president in the 1980s, especially if he can't show an ability to progress.

This is seriously a great post. I agree with you 100% and normally we're polar opposites.
Gold: 2,620.00
Sep 27 2018 11:17am
Quote (EndlessSky @ 27 Sep 2018 12:08)
I have never said that before :rofl:

Sure, and I didn't accuse you of saying it before. I'm simply pointing out that claims like this...

Quote (EndlessSky @ 27 Sep 2018 11:46)
Due process is the backbone of our entire country. If Trump blinks his base will abandon him regardless of what sloppy hannity says.

...have been made over and over again with Trump and simply haven't panned out.

I'm not even sure what could happen to cause Trump's base to abandon him, but Trump 'blinking' on Kavanaugh isn't one of of those things.
Gold: 222.37
Sep 27 2018 11:18am
Quote (inkanddagger @ Sep 27 2018 12:07pm)
Nah. Republicans follow the leader. He needs independents.

Me, for example.

After watching the presser Trump gave yesterday, I actually really agree with him on all of his foreign policy decisions and he did a great job talking numbers on trade deals. He bungled the domestic policy stuff and came across as an asshole to women.

But he did promise to watch this today and make a decision based on the testimony rather than any preconceived notions. I believe his answer to Haley was genuine.

If he spun that into a "I watched and I understand we need to believe women" and then nominated Amy Barrett, I would be likely to vote for him or at least third party in 2020 rather than whatever hull of a corporate shill the Democrats put up.

He needs this strategy to hold onto his presidency. The GOP base will vote for the GOP, period. He needs independents and we aren't interested in electing a guy who would have been a better fit as president in the 1980s, especially if he can't show an ability to progress.

"We need to believe women." (and not believe men) when making unsubstantiated allegations.

Really going to rally the base.
Sep 27 2018 11:22am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Sep 27 2018 11:17am)
Sure, and I didn't accuse you of saying it before. I'm simply pointing out that claims like this...

...have been made over and over again with Trump and simply haven't panned out.

I'm not even sure what could happen to cause Trump's base to abandon him, but Trump 'blinking' on Kavanaugh isn't one of of those things.

honestly at this point if he bragged about dodging the draft, openly, the base would call him a genius because over 50 years vietnam has become a universally unneeded war.

and not a peep about what that would mean for the flag or those who died, he could pivot instantly to Kaep and they wouldn't blink.

i mean of course a group that comprises perhaps 5-25% of the people who voted for him.

meta edit: lets be honest boys, this circus and live tweet fest in PARD has been the most fun in months.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Sep 27 2018 11:25am
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 40%
Sep 27 2018 11:25am
I went to the store for more whiskey, how many muh anxiety’s did i miss?
Gold: 13,704.02
Sep 27 2018 11:25am
Quote (tonerbond @ Sep 27 2018 12:25pm)
I went to the store for more whiskey, how many muh anxiety’s did i miss?

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1206207208209210443Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll