d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Iran Boogaloo
Prev1192021222383Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Jan 5 2020 05:15am
The approach to the drone war is one of the rare occasions where I really have to agree with fender: Trump is definitely more aggressive and hawkish in his pursuit of drone strikes than Obama, so anyone criticizing Obama for his drone war has to level the same criticism against Trump as well.
Gold: 107.77
Jan 5 2020 06:49am
Gold: 285.00
Jan 5 2020 07:14am
Quote (ThatAlex @ Jan 5 2020 02:04am)
Probably a good move by Trump to throw out big threats to Iran in an attempt to scare away any retaliation. We can't afford a war. Sometimes waving the big stick around works. It worked with North Korea to force a meeting.

If we are going to pump so much money into defense at the expense of the rest of our country, we mine as well wield its might.

I'm not mourning General Improvised Explosive Device, I just worry about all the American service people abroad.

A lot of the people who are cheering are cheering because it is Trump. If it was another politician who did this they would not be cheering and calling them a hawk, HRC, etc. If any other politician did this there would be just less or no support, as most leaders don't have the level of uncritical and unconditional followers that Trump has.
Jan 5 2020 07:23am
Quote (Skinned @ 5 Jan 2020 14:14)
I'm not mourning General Improvised Explosive Device, I just worry about all the American service people abroad.

A lot of the people who are cheering are cheering because it is Trump. If it was another politician who did this they would not be cheering and calling them a hawk, HRC, etc. If any other politician did this there would be just less or no support, as most leaders don't have the level of uncritical and unconditional followers that Trump has.

Big disagree. If HRC had done this, the media and also the more establishment-oriented rank-and-file Democrats would be gushing all over it.
"Strong leadership", "not shying away from the tough decisions", "about time", etc.

Not gonna lie though. In this parallel universe, those who supported Trump in 2016 and are still bitter about his narrow loss to Hillary would go head over heels in pointing out that they knew Killary would be a hawk; knew that she would drag us into yet another ME war; and that none of this would happen if Trump had won.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 5 2020 07:24am
Gold: 285.00
Jan 5 2020 07:43am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 5 2020 08:23am)
Big disagree. If HRC had done this, the media and also the more establishment-oriented rank-and-file Democrats would be gushing all over it.
"Strong leadership", "not shying away from the tough decisions", "about time", etc.

Not gonna lie though. In this parallel universe, those who supported Trump in 2016 and are still bitter about his narrow loss to Hillary would go head over heels in pointing out that they knew Killary would be a hawk; knew that she would drag us into yet another ME war; and that none of this would happen if Trump had won.

They would not they would be as tepid as they were when Obama killed Quaddafi. All the sudden half Americans loved the dude responsible for the Lockerbie bombing. People who dislike Obama will complain about it right now. Largely they are being treated about the same. I'm surprised the Right didn't complain about the death of OBL just to be contrarian.

I wonder how this was psychologically affect Trump after getting his first confirmed kill, aside from anonymous sex workers, etc.

You do know the whole thing about trump being treated unfairly in the news is a histrionic response to one station, And other mainstream media outlets to have on ending devotion to him. People who talk about trump getting treated unfairly by the MSM just looks unobjective and entitled at this point.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jan 5 2020 08:04am
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Jan 5 2020 07:48am
Quote (Black XistenZ @ 5 Jan 2020 14:23)

there's a big flaw in your "logic" though: hillary would not have just unilaterally canceled the iran deal - especially not without trying to negotiate 'something better' (like trump promised, well aware that there was no chance of that happening - but he didn't even give it a token try)...
she also would not have undertaken completely unnecessary and counter-productive (at least if your actual goal is a diplomatic and peaceful solution) steps exclusively designed to provoke and corner iran and escalate tensions.

i would agree that MSM generally tends to rally behind military action (it's simply ratings gold), and usually characterises it as "strong and decisive leadership" - but this assassination was so egregiously thought- and lawless, that i severely doubt there wouldn't at least have been some critical voices - and again, this hypothetical already assumes some conditions that would have been incredibly unlikely under halfway competent leadership...
Jan 5 2020 08:12am
Quote (fender @ 5 Jan 2020 14:48)
there's a big flaw in your "logic" though: hillary would not have just unilaterally canceled the iran deal - especially not without trying to negotiate 'something better' (like trump promised, well aware that there was no chance of that happening - but he didn't even give it a token try)...
she also would not have undertaken completely unnecessary and counter-productive (at least if your actual goal is a diplomatic and peaceful solution) steps exclusively designed to provoke and corner iran and escalate tensions.

i would agree that MSM generally tends to rally behind military action (it's simply ratings gold), and usually characterises it as "strong and decisive leadership" - but this assassination was so egregiously thought- and lawless, that i severely doubt there wouldn't at least have been some critical voices - and again, this hypothetical already assumes some conditions that would have been incredibly unlikely under halfway competent leadership...

orange man bad
Gold: 83.00
Jan 5 2020 08:23am
Why do people question our military intelligence?

They are a huge part of why our military is so powerful. They are the best in the world at what they do.
Gold: 63,142.89
Jan 5 2020 08:27am
WW2 was a mistake. We shoulda let Germany take over the whole continent when they had the chance. Our life would be much easier right now if we were dealing with Germans.
Gold: 15,220.00
Jan 5 2020 08:31am
Quote (fuzzy159 @ Jan 5 2020 09:23am)
Why do people question our military intelligence?

They are a huge part of why our military is so powerful. They are the best in the world at what they do.

Because a lot of what they do doesn’t serve the interests of most Americans.

6 trillion is the cost of Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria. That’s enough to fix our infrastructure, partially subsidize preventive care & many other good things that from an utilitarian perspective would make most Americans better off.

Instead we got more people hating us in 3rd world countries, more dead soldiers, dead civilians, population displacements, starvation, etc. Its time for us to become like Canada.

Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1192021222383Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll