d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Tiktok Likely To Be Banned In The Us
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 14 2022 07:44am
basically its another form of censorship. When they ban Tik Tok, then it will basically validate the wall in China which bans selective western sites for chinese residents (but which the western world used to always point at and say ; hey look they are not an open country).

instead of banning sites they would have been better off simply regulating the content. what they are instead doing is formenting hatred and putting barriers up between continents, breaking down any good will that even remotely existed. This is all similar to what they are already doing re: trade, making things more difficult and the people that suffer most are the normal people on the ground like you or me.

its tit for tat and quite frankly, pathetic. expect it to get worse for the forseeable future (5-10 years).

This post was edited by ferdia on Dec 14 2022 07:48am
Gold: 35,785.13
Warn: 30%
Dec 14 2022 08:44am
Tikkety-tik was an IQ test.
If your on it...you flunked.
Gold: 32,517.50
Dec 14 2022 08:45am
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 14 2022 01:44pm)
basically its another form of censorship. When they ban Tik Tok, then it will basically validate the wall in China which bans selective western sites for chinese residents (but which the western world used to always point at and say ; hey look they are not an open country).

instead of banning sites they would have been better off simply regulating the content. what they are instead doing is formenting hatred and putting barriers up between continents, breaking down any good will that even remotely existed. This is all similar to what they are already doing re: trade, making things more difficult and the people that suffer most are the normal people on the ground like you or me.

its tit for tat and quite frankly, pathetic. expect it to get worse for the forseeable future (5-10 years).

Thats probably a stretch for two reasons. The invasive nature of Tik Tok software. Not to say other apps are not invasive.
And also the scale of censorship is china, is far beyond banning 1 app.

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest
Snapchat
Quora
Tumblr

Just a few worth mentioning
Gold: Locked
Dec 14 2022 08:45am
We should ban Apple and Google instead.
Gold: 2,504.69
Dec 14 2022 08:58am
china will send you to jail for mentioning historical events or calling a territory a country. we are banning an invasive app with a predatory nature. the headlines will be written about tiktok's content, that's hardly the issue.
Gold: 17,384.69
Dec 14 2022 09:06am
Quote (ferdia @ 14 Dec 2022 14:44)

You can't "regulate" degeneracy, divisive, polarized content. That's the main problem. It's all borderline and laws are fucked. A slow poison. Aka "opium revenge" .

We have to ban it, and i hope not to just tax it to death. (Or tax to death, then ban)
Dec 14 2022 09:20am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Dec 14 2022 02:45pm)
Thats probably a stretch for two reasons. The invasive nature of Tik Tok software. Not to say other apps are not invasive.
And also the scale of censorship is china, is far beyond banning 1 app.

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest
Snapchat
Quora
Tumblr

Just a few worth mentioning

some of those are very invasive as you probably know, and therefore the challenge i would put to you is , why are they also not being banned.
its like that chinese phone company where the US basically said: "we dont mind spying on our people, but you cant do it as well".

Quote (Meanwhile @ Dec 14 2022 03:06pm)
You can't "regulate" degeneracy, divisive, polarized content. That's the main problem. It's all borderline and laws are fucked. A slow poison. Aka "opium revenge" .

We have to ban it, and i hope not to just tax it to death. (Or tax to death, then ban)

I think the likes of netflix tailors content by region. region should be able to say what can and cant be available to them. if provider refuses to comply then sure ban, but its a slippery slope.

This post was edited by ferdia on Dec 14 2022 09:22am
Gold: 2,504.69
Dec 14 2022 09:43am
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 14 2022 09:20am)
some of those are very invasive as you probably know, and therefore the challenge i would put to you is , why are they also not being banned.
its like that chinese phone company where the US basically said: "we dont mind spying on our people, but you cant do it as well".

I think the likes of netflix tailors content by region. region should be able to say what can and cant be available to them. if provider refuses to comply then sure ban, but its a slippery slope.

this would be like asking "why is it ok for me to check my kids clothes drawers for drugs not not ok for my neighbor to check".

the US govt has a responsibility to the US people, and the US govt has regulatory power over US companies. it's a system of control. right now the US govt has a fairly hands off approach to regulating big tech monoliths, but it's been on the table for some time now. if they have a pool of data we dont have access to it now, but might in the future, and right now we have the ability to subpoena it when it becomes contextually relevant to legal cases. we have zero regulatory power now or in the future or zero subpoena power over a pool of data held by a chinese firm.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Dec 14 2022 09:43am
Gold: 17,384.69
Dec 14 2022 09:46am
Quote (ferdia @ 14 Dec 2022 16:20)

This is only a theory: show me how you can apply that to tik tok: there's not program grid. It's only a flow of the most destructive (toxic) content, selected by chinese algorithms.
Even if FeceBook-Metal (mostly for "senoirs") or some others are doing shit (Pinterest is not that bad btw) the TikTok lobotomy is 10-100 times more impactful, negatively.
Dec 14 2022 09:51am
Quote (thesnipa @ Dec 14 2022 03:43pm)
this would be like asking "why is it ok for me to check my kids clothes drawers for drugs not not ok for my neighbor to check".

the US govt has a responsibility to the US people, and the US govt has regulatory power over US companies. it's a system of control. right now the US govt has a fairly hands off approach to regulating big tech monoliths, but it's been on the table for some time now. if they have a pool of data we dont have access to it now, but might in the future, and right now we have the ability to subpoena it when it becomes contextually relevant to legal cases. we have zero regulatory power now or in the future or zero subpoena power over a pool of data held by a chinese firm.

being flippant now: Then they should have a chinese firm responsible for abortion data in the US, sothat women in the US will be safe from conviction when seeking an abortion outside of the state they are in where it has abortion banned (because the states then cant retrieve data relating to same).

I dont have all the answers, but what I see is that countries are contracting, becoming less open. I wont argue the merits of banning tik tok, but I see it being banned as being a symptom of a wider move which is closing doors, presumably to protect people, but which will eventually have far reaching consequences the more moves like this are made (which will potentially be harmful).

This post was edited by ferdia on Dec 14 2022 09:56am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll