d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Serious Talk, Economy
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Mar 16 2022 12:13pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 16 2022 12:50pm)
Between the US government fiscal policy and the Feds monetary policy I would say they have total control. I mean look at prices man and look how far your dollar goes today compared to even 3-4 years ago. I feel bad for old people that saved a nest egg to have their hard earned savings eroded by 40-50% in like 5 years due to loss of purchasing power.

I agree many are skeptical about China but it's like imagine if you're a country holding USD as your primary fx reserves and seeing these shit policies and losing so much of that wealth so fast. Does the yuan replace the dollar in the next 10 years? No. Do most prudent countries diversify away from their mostly dollar holdings? 100% for sure.

Their nest egg was rekt by the prioritization of the stock market over labor conditions. This is the reckoning
Gold: 1,627.69
Warn: 10%
Mar 16 2022 12:19pm
Im still laughing at crypto and nfts to be honest.

Are we gonna have goverment mandated ugly monkey faces to buy?

Losing half a billion dollars because you forgot a password seems like it sucks.
Gold: 8,933.00
Mar 16 2022 12:57pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 16 2022 12:37pm)
How is this any different than what happened in the US with the dollar?

Traders on both sides of free floating currency trading have the option to hedge, via legitimate contracts, the price in advance. How do you find the true cost of RMB?
Gold: 2,504.69
Mar 16 2022 01:11pm
Quote (Sh00p @ Mar 16 2022 01:19pm)
Im still laughing at crypto and nfts to be honest.

Are we gonna have goverment mandated ugly monkey faces to buy?

Losing half a billion dollars because you forgot a password seems like it sucks.

NFTs are just a blockchain backed trademark and patent system, but rather than a bloated and slow govt. bureau authorizing it it's all done automatically. still a massive bubble atm and like all things in it's infancy pretty poorly done. has potential though, just as smart contracts do.

as to password we'll eventually have some sort of failsafe for that type of loss, again infancy has a lot of growing pains.
Gold: 0.00
Mar 16 2022 01:27pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Mar 16 2022 02:11pm)
NFTs are just a blockchain backed trademark and patent system, but rather than a bloated and slow govt. bureau authorizing it it's all done automatically. still a massive bubble atm and like all things in it's infancy pretty poorly done. has potential though, just as smart contracts do.

as to password we'll eventually have some sort of failsafe for that type of loss, again infancy has a lot of growing pains.

It's also a Ponzi scheme, like crypto. They benefit those at the top of the pyramid the most, with a few scraps strewn about for the rest.
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 20%
Mar 16 2022 01:41pm
The WEF is hard pushing for a reset so that they can implement their own crypto and get rid of cash. No one is paying attention

This post was edited by addone on Mar 16 2022 02:02pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Mar 16 2022 01:44pm
Quote (Surfpunk @ Mar 16 2022 02:27pm)
It's also a Ponzi scheme, like crypto. They benefit those at the top of the pyramid the most, with a few scraps strewn about for the rest.

not really. financial institutions gain far more because they buy/sell more quantity. but in a ponzi scheme as you move up the ladder the % gained on sales increases, sometimes literally and other times just due to each person getting a percent of all of the people beneath them.

in any case i dont really suggest most people invest in crypto short term at all, just buy long as a hedge on inflation. crypto has more potential as a currency than as an investment, although its not easy to distinguish. i'm more excited about things like smart contract adoption than i am the currency side of things.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Mar 16 2022 01:44pm
Gold: 260.11
Mar 16 2022 02:35pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Mar 16 2022 02:11pm)

NFTs aren't a trademark or patent system. It's just a piece of code. You can put anything in it, but the art tends to just be a hyperlink to a server that stores the art. Replace the art with something else, like malicious code that steals all your money, and the NFT is unchanged.

NFTs have usage in terms of tracking digital ownership, but they aren't anything in themselves except a pointer for that ownership that only exists on the blockchain and nowhere else. For instance, instead of a game saying "my server says you have this sword in your inventory" the game would look at your wallet on the blockchain and see you transacted to buy the sword item, and then it registers you as having it.

Something you'll notice is that this is totally dependent on a system that is external of the blockchain acknowledging the NFT's utility.

That's what the real use case for NFTs is. Offloading server space and security onto a third party service. There's currently very little utility in that because of the high gas fees, and this is where I agree that we're in the infancy of the technology.

People say "the blockchain is immutable", and that's true, but the information acknowledged outside of the blockchain is not. For instance your wallet will read that you once owned a coin and now don't. So if we load other records into the blockchain it is still amendable by submitting an amendment to the blockchain. The original record will be there, but when an external system reads it it will also read the replacement.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Mar 16 2022 02:37pm
Gold: 2.51
Mar 16 2022 07:06pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Mar 16 2022 01:35pm)
NFTs aren't a trademark or patent system. It's just a piece of code. You can put anything in it, but the art tends to just be a hyperlink to a server that stores the art. Replace the art with something else, like malicious code that steals all your money, and the NFT is unchanged.

NFTs have usage in terms of tracking digital ownership, but they aren't anything in themselves except a pointer for that ownership that only exists on the blockchain and nowhere else. For instance, instead of a game saying "my server says you have this sword in your inventory" the game would look at your wallet on the blockchain and see you transacted to buy the sword item, and then it registers you as having it.

Something you'll notice is that this is totally dependent on a system that is external of the blockchain acknowledging the NFT's utility.

That's what the real use case for NFTs is. Offloading server space and security onto a third party service. There's currently very little utility in that because of the high gas fees, and this is where I agree that we're in the infancy of the technology.

People say "the blockchain is immutable", and that's true, but the information acknowledged outside of the blockchain is not. For instance your wallet will read that you once owned a coin and now don't. So if we load other records into the blockchain it is still amendable by submitting an amendment to the blockchain. The original record will be there, but when an external system reads it it will also read the replacement.

I do specifically remember the hackproof cryptos getting err, hacked. I need to see more real world examples of Blockchain and use because in theory it sounds pretty cool but I also don’t think it’s going to become the platform for a total digital currency whose volatility can spike to zero or 1000% in a given week.

I want to know if we can use block chain to clean up government transactions and start cutting out waste in a big way, or if the data compiled is useless for that. Doesn’t matter how much I make or how much I get taxed if they blow every dollar I give them so my thought is it would be a form of public record and accountability. I simply don’t know enough.
Gold: 8,000.00
Mar 16 2022 07:25pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll