d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Stephen Breyer Announces Retirement
Prev1234516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Jan 26 2022 04:14pm
Quote (Sioux @ 26 Jan 2022 20:02)
Manchin and Sinema have rubber-stamped every federal court nominee Biden's put forth. They'll toe the party line on this one unless someone digs up something controversial in the nominees past.

Pretty much this. I do wonder, however, if Manchin and Sinema would toe the line if the nominee turned out to be a left-wing version of Brett Kavanaugh.

In any case, the timing of this retirement is imho indicative of the Democrats' shrinking confidence in holding the Senate in the midterms. I assume they pleaded with Breyer behind the scenes to retire before it's too late. This will also serve to distract the news cycle from lots of bad issues for Biden (Ukraine, inflation, gridlock on his legislative agenda) and shift it to an easy win for him. Not even Joe "don't underestimate my ability to fuck things up" Biden can drop the ball on this one.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Jan 26 2022 04:16pm
Gold: 1,627.69
Warn: 10%
Jan 26 2022 04:17pm
Inb4 trumpers are mad justices are purposefully retireing so biden can stack the court and not waiting till death like they should be.
Gold: 12,730.67
Jan 26 2022 04:23pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Jan 26 2022 02:14pm)
Pretty much this. I do wonder, however, if Manchin and Sinema would toe the line if the nominee turned out to be a left-wing version of Brett Kavanaugh.

In any case, the timing of this retirement is imho indicative of the Democrats' shrinking confidence in holding the Senate in the midterms. I assume they pleaded with Breyer behind the scenes to retire before it's too late. This will also serve to distract the news cycle from lots of bad issues for Biden (Ukraine, inflation, gridlock on his legislative agenda) and shift it to an easy win for him. Not even Joe "don't underestimate my ability to fuck things up" Biden can drop the ball on this one.

The nominee will be blocked by McConnell if he wants to:
https://time.com/6142711/joe-biden-supreme-court-nominee-mitch-mcconnell-stephen-breyer/

Also, your country is weak as fuck and is incapable of standing up to Russia. I guess Trump was right on that one.
Gold: 9,900.00
Trader: Trusted
Jan 26 2022 04:29pm
Quote (Sh00p @ Jan 26 2022 05:17pm)
Inb4 trumpers are mad justices are purposefully retireing so biden can stack the court and not waiting till death like they should be.

Hello!

Unfortunately, Biden isn't stacking any court. In current state, he needed everyone on board and he lost 2 on many of his agenda items.

This is a "hail mary" for clout coming into the midterms with very bad approval ratings.

He wants to get 1 justice at the very least so he can claim that he preserved Roe V. Wade for his liberal base, but, after the midterms (which even with a president "above water" results in many losses even when 25 members of the opposition party aren't retiring), he won't have the votes to do pretty much anything, let alone pass another justice with far-left ideologies.

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 26 2022 04:31pm
Gold: 5.77
Jan 26 2022 04:33pm
There is an election year coming up in 2024. That’s way too soon for us to vote to replace a justice. We should wait until after the election.
Jan 26 2022 04:36pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 12:40pm)
Hello!

If we're being fair here, the replacement is only simply going to preserve the status quo, which has been highly ineffective for the Biden administration's interests.

The current justice Breyer (whom I believe was appointed during the Clinton administration) is already far-left leaning and wouldn't have ever voted in favor of non-leftist causes anyway.

Nothing will really change here -- he retired for a reason. He didn't want to risk being forced to retire for health reasons under a Conservative administration that would replace him with a Conservative.

Wait, Breyer wants to overthrow the government and replace it with direct rule by the working classes? This is news to me.
Jan 26 2022 04:55pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Jan 26 2022 05:36pm)
Wait, Breyer wants to overthrow the government and replace it with direct rule by the working classes? This is news to me.

Hello,

sorry - I don't follow your point -- who wants to overthrow what, now?

I'd be happy to clarify, but, I am at a loss at this moment.

Thanks!
Gold: 6.66
Jan 26 2022 04:55pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ 26 Jan 2022 14:36)

We're on jsp, milquetoast liberals are radical left here :rofl:
Jan 26 2022 06:00pm
Quote (CyrusTheGreat @ Jan 26 2022 02:55pm)
Hello,

sorry - I don't follow your point -- who wants to overthrow what, now?

I'd be happy to clarify, but, I am at a loss at this moment.

Thanks!

Overthrowing the state and having the workers be in charge is called Marxism. That would be leftist. Breyer is a capitalist who supports the existence of a government so I’m not sure how you think he’s a leftist.
Jan 26 2022 06:16pm
Quote (inkanddagger @ Jan 26 2022 07:00pm)
Overthrowing the state and having the workers be in charge is called Marxism. That would be leftist. Breyer is a capitalist who supports the existence of a government so I’m not sure how you think he’s a leftist.

Leftism goes far deeper than supporting an economic system from which one benefited (including myself - capitalism is how I emerged from poverty).

If you'd like, please feel free to advise which critical cases he ever voted in favor of Conservatives for.

I don't believe a total economic shift to Marxism was ever presented to the Supreme Court, either, so the assertion he wouldn't vote yes is invalidated by default.

Lastly, I am glad someone finally explained Marxism with a real definition - taking what was unearned by collective force. It's what we see attempted (but unsuccessful) here in the US often in modern day :)

I welcome your thoughts :)

This post was edited by CyrusTheGreat on Jan 26 2022 06:33pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234516Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll