d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > What Religion Actually Does To People - Part One > Childhood Indoctrination Is Child Abuse
Prev1234541Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Jan 21 2015 02:38pm
Quote (-Kenny @ Jan 21 2015 03:28pm)
I decided to try to work on myself at least by identifying some of the daily effects
of white privilege in my life. I have chosen those conditions which I think in my case
attack some what more to skin-color privilege that to class, religion, ethnic status, or
geographical location, though of course all these other factors are intricately
intertwined. As far as I can see, my African American co-worker, friends and
acquaintances with whom I come into daily or frequent contact in this particular time,
place, and line of work cannot count on most of these conditions.

1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the
time.
2. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing
in an area which I canafford and in which I would want to live.
3. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or
pleasant to me.
4. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be
followed or harassed.
5. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see
people of my race widely represented.
6. When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown
that people of my color made it what it is.
7. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the
existence of their race.
8. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white
privilege.
9. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race
represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my
cultural traditions, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my
hair.
10. Whether I checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work
against the appearance of financial reliability.
11. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not
like them.
12. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without
having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the
illiteracy of my race.
13. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
14. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
15. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
16. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who
constitute the world’s majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such
oblivion.
17. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and
behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
18. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to “the person in charge,” I will be facing
a person of my race.
19. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I
haven’t been singled out because of my race.
20. I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys,
and children’s magazine featuring people of my race.
21. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling
somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard,
held at a distance, or feared.
22. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co-workers
on the job suspect that I got it because of race.
23. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race
cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.
24. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against
me.
25. If my day, week, or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode
or situation whether it has racial overtones.
26. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or
less match my skin.

Taken from: https://www.isr.umich.edu/home/diversity/resources/white-privilege.pdf

I'll pick this list apart a little later.... but lol @ #26. Geez, the shame that blacks must feel wearing tan colored band aids. :rofl:

This post was edited by IceMage on Jan 21 2015 02:42pm
Gold: 0.00
Jan 21 2015 02:43pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 03:38pm)
I'll pick this list apart a little later.... but lol @ #26. Geez, the shame that blacks must feel wearing tan colored band aids. :rofl:

It might be funny to you, but that's because you're white.
Jan 21 2015 03:04pm
Quote (-Kenny @ Jan 21 2015 03:43pm)
It might be funny to you, but that's because you're white.

If I lived in Africa and had to buy dark band aids... I wouldn't feel victimized.

And if I felt victimized by that... I would be worthy of being laughed at.

This post was edited by IceMage on Jan 21 2015 03:04pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Jan 21 2015 04:04pm
Emotional abuse

The story of Jesus' tortuous death is integral to christianity in general. One of the first things an indoctrinated child is taught is that he went through all of this to pay for their indiscretions. Authoritarion, fundamentalist parents will go as far as telling their children that they are sinners. That they are bad people. That Jesus suffered and died because they are a bad person.
Children are not bad people, most of them anyway, we all make mistakes. Everyone lies, most people have stolen something but this doesn't mean you are inherently evil. The way Christianity works is to instill guilt into people, disproportionate guilt for the crimes they have committed. The image of christ's broken and battered body hanging on the cross is everywhere to remind people of how he died for their evil acts. This is not something a child should have to think about. Would you tell your children in graphic detail of anyone else's death? Would you then tell them that it was their fault?

Im confused about how you can make that statement and not realize they are the same thing. That all men sin is not meant to make you feel evil, its is to make you feel guilt for your mistakes. I understand your stance that the method is flawed based on the gentle minds of a child but that doesnt make the logic flawed.

your attempt to make ALL religion discredited based on the premise that you will debunk claims that only a certain sect (i wont even say minority) hasnt been portrayed at all in this section

Not just a few 'fringe members' but the inherent properties

you leave zero room for someone to kindly explain to children that everyone is flawed but its the atonement that is important, it is the remorse for damage you cause not the striving to never cause damage that can be preached.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 21 2015 04:09pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 04:04pm)
If I lived in Africa and had to buy dark band aids... I wouldn't feel victimized.

And if I felt victimized by that... I would be worthy of being laughed at.

Maybe you are not understanding the context of this argument. This is about white privilege that happens in America.
Jan 21 2015 05:25pm
Quote (-Kenny @ Jan 21 2015 03:28pm)
1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the
time.

Wow, retardation right off the bat. Any ethnicity can usually find another person of their ethnicity to hang with. There's been some cities I've been to when traveling where me(and whoever I was with) were the only white people there. 99+% of people have the "privilege" of being able to associate with other members of their ethnicity.

2. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing
in an area which I canafford and in which I would want to live.

As can anyone, as long as they meet the necessary financial standards. Housing discrimination, whether it be because of ethnicity, religion, or parenthood, is extremely rare.

3. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or
pleasant to me.

Okay, now we're getting into something that might be legitimate. Look, it's true that you might get some weird looks from people in certain areas of the country. That reality cuts both ways. There are black neighborhoods, and Latin neighborhoods, in which I could move in, and would receive those same looks(or worse).

4. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be
followed or harassed.

Again... maybe in a few select towns a black person would get an extra eye on them... but c'mon. There's not many places in the country anymore where it's all white people. I can't recall ever being out in a public area(like a mall, or restaurant, or whatever) where there wasn't diversity represented.
5. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see
people of my race widely represented.

Well, whites are definitely more represented than any other race, but why is that a problem, and why is that an advantage for whites personally?

Whites have been the majority since our founding... so it makes perfect sense that we would be represented in the media more. You can also factor in slavery, and systematic discrimination blacks faced which held them back for so long.

6. When I am told about our national heritage or about “civilization,” I am shown
that people of my color made it what it is.

I think the education system does a pretty good job at showing what black Americans did for this country.

7. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the
existence of their race.

^

8. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white
privilege.

Out of all the racists... I wouldn't put publishers high on the list.

9. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race
represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my
cultural traditions, into a hairdresser’s shop and find someone who can cut my
hair.

Businesses stock what sells. That's why there's Latin grocery stores, and black hair salons. My grandparents neighborhood is basically all Mexicans now, and the stores around that neighborhood reflect that. Mexican privilege anyone?

I don't live in bum fuck, so the grocery stores have an international section(or something like that).

10. Whether I checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work
against the appearance of financial reliability.

This is true. However, I would say that appearance is a much bigger factor. A well dressed person of any race projects financial competency... and a poorly dressed person of any race projects financial lack.

11. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not
like them.

I don't know what this one implies.

12. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without
having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty, or the
illiteracy of my race.

This is true... but as I've said a million times... most people don't think that way.

13. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.

lolwat

14. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.

Lol. When would this happen? Again, most people don't think like that.

15. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.

That would depend on the dynamics of the group. If I'm in a group of black dudes... I may need to give a perspective that involves race.

16. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who
constitute the world’s majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such
oblivion.

I'm not sure what this one means. The world's majority are brown people, and American blacks are just as ignorant of their language/customs as I am, lol.

There's a few of these that you could add to the black privilege list. I should try making one of those.

17. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and
behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.

Sorry, that one is complete bullshit. Everyone hates the government these days.

18. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to “the person in charge,” I will be facing
a person of my race.

This list is starting to feel racist to me. Why would you assume that the manager on duty is a white person? Simply not true. Again, I've always lived in areas with diverse groups... and I'm in a red state.

19. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I
haven’t been singled out because of my race.

I'll concede this one.

20. I can easily buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys,
and children’s magazine featuring people of my race.

This is also true, but again, businesses stock what sells. The black cities in America don't stock a bunch of white dolls, the Asian cities don't have a bunch of American buffets, etc etc.

21. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling
somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard,
held at a distance, or feared.

This has nothing to do with race. It's about what you are giving to the company, your relationships with your co-workers/boss, etc.

Sometimes "feeling out of place" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. You are up in your head, not in the moment, relaxed and open to other people.

22. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having co-workers
on the job suspect that I got it because of race.

I'll concede this one.

23. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race
cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.

Now I'm thinking this guy was born in the 50's.

24. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against
me.

The idea of hospitals discriminating against certain races is utter nonsense, and it would probably help you in the legal department.

25. If my day, week, or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode
or situation whether it has racial overtones.

This one is just paranoia.

26. I can choose blemish cover or bandages in “flesh” color and have them more or
less match my skin.

:rofl:

Taken from: https://www.isr.umich.edu/home/diversity/resources/white-privilege.pdf

Quote (-Kenny @ Jan 21 2015 05:09pm)
Maybe you are not understanding the context of this argument. This is about white privilege that happens in America.

My point went right over your head.

This post was edited by IceMage on Jan 21 2015 05:30pm
Gold: 152.00
Jan 21 2015 05:25pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 11:51am)
I'm in the sweet spot of financial aid recipients, where my parents can't afford it and Uncle Sam thinks they can.

That sounds awfully familiar to my situation

Luckily I hate school
Jan 21 2015 05:26pm
Quote (Voyaging @ Jan 21 2015 06:25pm)
That sounds awfully familiar to my situation

Luckily I hate school

Obama doesn't like the middle class... he wants us to choose one or the other.
Gold: 68.99
Warn: 10%
Jan 21 2015 06:17pm
Quote (Scaly @ Jan 21 2015 06:44pm)
Not just a few 'fringe members' but the inherent properties and ideas contained within religions and the common themes that run through them that cause people to commit this abuse when they otherwise may very well not.

a picture to illustrate this great post about religion and its' alleged effects.

Quote (Scaly @ Jan 21 2015 06:44pm)
know the most about

"much ado about nothing"

This post was edited by Gastly on Jan 21 2015 06:30pm
Gold: 500.00
Jan 21 2015 06:40pm
Quote (IceMage @ Jan 21 2015 06:25pm)
My point went right over your head.

a large demographic of landlords either do not rent to blacks or hold them to extremely high standards due to concerns about the impact to property values and ability to pay rent

this is obvious to anyone who isn't white, but that aside i've managed rental properties and faced some challenges getting property owners to take potential black tenants seriously

also you missed the point about being held accountable for the actions of your people, you've clearly never watched a breaking news report of a crime in progress and thought to yourself "please please please don't let it be a white guy"
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234541Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll